The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 New snake owner with a couple of questions =]

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Falice Posted - 02/01/2012 : 14:27:02
Hi everyone! my name is Alice and i'm completely new to snakes, i got my first corn snake 6 days ago and he's called Trevor (not that i know the sex yet lol) I got him as a christmas present from my partner, best present ever!

But I have a few concerns, I'm unsure on how old he is and he is about a foot long, but the viv that got sold to us is about 3 ft long and 1 foot wide. Am i right in thinking that this is 2 big for him? If so, what can i do about it? can I just get a piece of wood or something to block off some of it so it's smaller for him?

Also he's very nervous, I havn't handled him yet but I havn't seen him come out from his hide for a couple of days now, I'm only assuming he's coming out for water when i'm not looking. Is this normal for a new snake? how long would it usually take for them to be more brave?

Sorry if i've babbled lol, I just really want to get it right for him, I'm very worried that i'm going to do something wrong.
thanks for reading
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Falice Posted - 16/01/2012 : 13:00:05
He's all settled in now and feeding well, and getting much more brave when he comes out
tordyjo Posted - 12/01/2012 : 21:26:48
hi there, if he's just shed probably why he was hiding away, pleased he's ok
Falice Posted - 06/01/2012 : 15:39:22
Thanku very much for the welcomes and advice Trevors doing well he had his first shed with me yesterday which went fine and he seems to be more active since
smart bunny Posted - 06/01/2012 : 10:55:13
Hi and welcome :)
Vince_the_snake Posted - 05/01/2012 : 16:54:50
welcome to the forum
Mort13 Posted - 05/01/2012 : 16:40:35
Hi and welcome. Congrats on Trevor.
I can't recommend the plastic binders you can get from Rymans etc enough for sealing the gap between the sliding doors.
a33272 Posted - 03/01/2012 : 13:55:45
hello :D

na that viv should do for most normal size adults they do get bigger on occations but wouldnt worry about it until the time comes
Falice Posted - 03/01/2012 : 00:52:29
oh no i'll definately do that, there's a very very tiny gap but i'm sure ill find something to wedge in there. Also when he gets bigger will i still have to upgrade to a larger viv or will this one be ok for when hes an adult? x
lotabob Posted - 03/01/2012 : 00:30:56
Hi and welcome. One thing I would say is 3 foot vivs are not really designed with hatchlings in mind so are not very escape proof around the door gaps so be sure to wedge something in the gap, you'd be amazed how small a gap they can get through as they can pretty much collapse their heads.
Falice Posted - 02/01/2012 : 20:05:48
Thanks for all the welcomes and advice guys :D my mind is at ease. I've read many posts on here and have found them really useful! :)I will probably still have some more questions to ask at some point though. hehe.
And Thanks ScalySituation! :D
ScalySituation Posted - 02/01/2012 : 18:59:49
GREAT NAME BTW!!!!
herriotfan Posted - 02/01/2012 : 18:36:38
Hi
Welcome to the forum. I agree that it's a good idea to look through the stickies. Also have a look at the caresheet (via the homepage) which is full of info.
It's normal for your snake to be a bit shy to start with and there's no set time how long he'll take to settle in with you. One of mine took a good couple of years before he would come out when we were around....now he's the most nosey one ever! He's also the happiest to be held and come out. Just give Trevor time and attention and he'll come round. Any questions you have just ask, we're very friendly on here and will always try our best to help.
Emmy1 Posted - 02/01/2012 : 17:40:03
Welcome Abroad Alice! Look forward to you getting involved with our scaly chat here! No question is a silly question, just a way to learn.
scottishbluebird Posted - 02/01/2012 : 17:34:00
Hi and welcome get a cuppy and a biccy, read through all the stickies , you will find out great stuff!
Okeetee Mick Posted - 02/01/2012 : 17:25:03
Welcome to the forum, I have a boy who is always undercover, quite normal. Easy to get out and a pleasure to handle but certainly likes his privacy.
Kath Posted - 02/01/2012 : 16:36:29
Hi Alice & welcome to the forum. Hope all goes ok with Trevor - luv it! - & good luck!
gmac Posted - 02/01/2012 : 15:56:46
Hi and welcome along,

Is nothing unusual for snakes to stay hidden away most of the time. If you leave be for a week to let him settle into the new environment.

3ft viv should be ok so long as you pack it out with lots of cover and multiple hides it should be ok.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000