The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 snake not eating

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
gazzabhoy Posted - 12/03/2011 : 10:20:45
Hi, I'm gazzabhoy. Pleased to meet you all. I have an issue with my cornsnake. He is just shy of 4 feet long & until last week, guided by he pet shop, I was feeding him a large mouse. He polished it off rapidly, then after a couple of hours of resting he was about his cage again. This kind of worried me a little. Let me be the 1st to tell you I know very little about snakes. I got my boy because i was fortunate enough to visit a couple who owned him & they were about to take him up the countryside & let him go. I took him & found out they were only feeding him fortnightly & a mouse a third of the size he needed. That was 7 months ago & since being with me he has thrived & my 2 year old loves him. Last week i mentioned how active he was so quickly after feeding. It was recommended i give him another, smaller snake as well & see how he got on with that. I did this & he ate them both rapidly & aftewards he was a lot quieter than usual. This seems to have lasted the full week & apart from coming out for a drink he stays in his little house. I went to feed him yesterday, but he has refused to eat. He seems very lethargic & i am worried there may be something wrong with him, or whether he just ate too much last week? He took the larger mouse in hs mouth but then let it go again & headed home. Any advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you & thanks for taking the time to read this.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gazzabhoy Posted - 17/03/2011 : 19:28:45
just to tell everyone my boy ate again today. He ate a small chook though not sure if thats enough for a week, or a fortnight or whatever. Any advice would, again, be greatly appreciated. In answer to a previous comment yes he has pooed. The temprature in his tank is in the mid to high 80s. Hope thats warm/cool enough for him but not entirely sure. Just to say his tank is on 3 levels, is 3 feet long 2 feet wide & about 2 and a half feet high. It is split in 3 levels & whilst i read somewhere cornsnakes are not big on climbing he seems happy enough, hiding in all his wee hidey holes. Would someone tell me if this size of tank is suitable for him? He is almost 4 feet long. He definitely seems happy enough but may well be very miserable as snake body language is not one of my top skills
gazzabhoy Posted - 15/03/2011 : 13:22:46
can anyoe tell me how to upload pics? It says you can copy & paste, but paste to where? It won't give me the option in new message mode. Thanx. Can i do it thru picasa?
gazzabhoy Posted - 15/03/2011 : 13:07:19
Ginger PONY I apologise profusely for the faus pas with your name, no excuses, just me being me im afraid. You have been very helpful & you made me laugh, so thats a good thng ;) Hope i speak again with you real soo MISS ;) x
gingerpony Posted - 13/03/2011 : 22:35:37
quote:
Originally posted by RachAdeth

Hey saw the topic and im concernd about one of my snakes....when i got my snakes i was told to feed them once a week...which i have done for almost two years but now one of them hasnt eaten the past two feeds but the other snake is still eating though :/ Please can anyone tell me why please. x

2 weeks is absolutely nothing to be concerned about, i'm guessing that by now your corns are sexually mature and it's the breeding season...........
but also check your husbandry - set up, temps, temp regulation - as this can also have an impact on feeding
gingerpony Posted - 13/03/2011 : 22:33:05
quote:
Originally posted by gazzabhoy

Hi gingerbody...You're a gentleman sir, or madame & I appreciate your help.

lol, never been called gingerbody before lol
but i'm not ginger and i'm not a pony either (but do own a fantastic ginger pony )
and i'm a madam and you're welcome, it's what this forum's for
herriotfan Posted - 13/03/2011 : 21:48:11
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
Can you tell us the temperatures in his viv, cool and warm side?
Has he pooed?
I'm sure we can help you sort this out.
He's a very lucky snake to have been rescued by you!
RachAdeth Posted - 13/03/2011 : 20:12:19
Hey saw the topic and im concernd about one of my snakes....when i got my snakes i was told to feed them once a week...which i have done for almost two years but now one of them hasnt eaten the past two feeds but the other snake is still eating though :/ Please can anyone tell me why please. x
sparkaly Posted - 13/03/2011 : 17:48:43
Hi and Welcome :)
gazzabhoy Posted - 13/03/2011 : 09:50:51
Hi Mort 13 good to hear from you. Yeah some people eh?. They're supposed to be this animal loving family but he went out to feed his ferrets one day & they were both dead. No one had taken responsibility of feeding them & they'd starved to death. Just given my good camera to a friend who's away on holiday but still got a 5 megapixel job on my phone so will upload a few pics of him ok, once i figure out how to do it. Cyber space & me aint the greatest of bed buddies. In fact, I confess, we sleep in different rooms now lol but will do my best. Tried to put the mouse back in today as he's out his wee house for the 1st time in days but he's not interested. Like the previous chap said, I may well just have been overfeeding him. I'll wait til next friday before I allow the panic to set in & have him down the vet ;)
thistle Posted - 12/03/2011 : 22:45:21
Hi, welcome to the forum.
ozziesmum Posted - 12/03/2011 : 20:46:06
Hi and welcome :)
Mort13 Posted - 12/03/2011 : 20:35:00
Hi and welcome. Good on you for taking the snake,can't believe he was going to be dumped!!
I'm sure he'll be back to his usual lively self soon.
Pop some pictures up of him if you can,we like piccies on here.
gazzabhoy Posted - 12/03/2011 : 13:44:38
Hi gingerbody & thanks for getting back to me. Thinking now that maybe he's just getting fed too much. As I said, i've been giving him a large mouse & an additional smaller one since last week. He's been lethargic ever since so probably just had too much. That's taken a weight off my mind as his skin condition is lovely. He was such a scrawny little thing but he's looking great now & his skin has a lovely sheen to him. I'll leave the feeding this week & go back to the big mouse every fortnight. You're a gentleman sir, or madame & I appreciate your help.
gingerpony Posted - 12/03/2011 : 12:59:55
heya and welcome
for an adult male i'd recommend a large or XL mouse every 2 weeks, it's really easy to overfeed corns as they're often dustbins! i wouldn't be overly concerned
do you know how much he weighs? about 750g is a ball park figure for an adult male but they do vary lots, be guided more by their body condition

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000