The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hello everyone

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
zippy10 Posted - 03/03/2011 : 11:32:13
Hi, I am looking to get my first corn snake in about 2 months. I already have in my menagarie a garter snake called Boots who I love dearly but I am ready for something a bit bigger. I have persuaded my OH to let me have a corn snake and a king snake. One of these will be a hatchling as I my collection will probably end there and I would like to have the experience of seeing one grow. I like the more orangy morphs rather than the black ones and I have a butter in mind. I would like to hear from those more experienced whether a hatchling is ok for a beginner. There is a beautiful 3 year old candy cane male corn snake in my local reptile shop which tempts me very much but I am in a position to be able to take it now due to holiday committments coming up and the fact that I am waiting for my bearded dragon to move into a larger tank freeing up her 3 foot for a possible snake if I go for an adult. Anyway it will be nice getting to know you all in the meantime and I will be looking for help in the decisions I have to make in the next few months.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 09/03/2011 : 14:28:08
heya and welcome
Mort13 Posted - 05/03/2011 : 19:50:55
Hi and welcome. Conrats on your future new snakes.
crazy JJ Posted - 03/03/2011 : 23:54:54
hey and welcome
sparkaly Posted - 03/03/2011 : 20:43:05
Hi and welcom
thistle Posted - 03/03/2011 : 17:39:09
Hi, welcome to the forum.

I think that a 3' viv would be too big for a yearling. It would probably be much happier in large faunarium.
gmac Posted - 03/03/2011 : 17:33:58
hi and welcome
Invalid User Posted - 03/03/2011 : 16:52:30
quote:
Originally posted by zippy10

Hello and thanks. Would a yearling still be best off in a faunarium? I have looked at the exo terral large flat faunarium and I was wondering what age would a corn be able to live in one of those? Like I say I will have a 3 foot viv spare soon but I take it that that would be too big for a yearling?

Hi and welcome.

I have a yearling corn in a large flat faunarium. He is quite long, over 2ft but is perfectly fine in it for a while yet.

I have just been given a 3ft corn snake who came in a 3ft viv and even she is lost in there so I imagine it would be very big for a yearling.

Kehhlyr Posted - 03/03/2011 : 16:41:14
Hello and welcome.
ozziesmum Posted - 03/03/2011 : 14:55:40
Hi and welcome :)
herriotfan Posted - 03/03/2011 : 13:25:01
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
zippy10 Posted - 03/03/2011 : 12:59:49
Hello and thanks. Would a yearling still be best off in a faunarium? I have looked at the exo terral large flat faunarium and I was wondering what age would a corn be able to live in one of those? Like I say I will have a 3 foot viv spare soon but I take it that that would be too big for a yearling?
HannahB Posted - 03/03/2011 : 12:46:45
hey and welcome
hatchlings are good to start with although you wont be able to put him/her in a full size viv straight away - a faun or small rub would be fine though and then as they grow you can increase their roaming space, the only thing with hatchies is that some can have feeding/shedding issues that can be frustrating but usually caused by a housing issue which can easily be fixed
with an adult they tend to have good feeding/shedding patterns as they are older, if there are any issues the owner should be able to say how they can be solved/helped (like misting when going blue ect.)
Personally it's down to you as to what you get - I got my corns from hatchlings and seeing something grow from dinky shoelace to 3ft+ long is great, but others will argue that an adult would be better..
what ever you choose feel free to ask any questions!
Benji54 Posted - 03/03/2011 : 12:38:09
cool! welcome to TCS! Adult corns are generally calmer but hatchlings are fine really, if a tad feistier! With regualr and proper handling, they "tame" quite quickly. If your worried (not that you should be! :) ) why not consider a yearling? as this years breeding season has just begun, you will probably find a good deal on a year old snake! it will have settled a bit, you'll have a good idea if its eating well and you'll still have plenty of growing to enjoy! good luck and have fun!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000