The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 new to snakes!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Laws Posted - 03/03/2011 : 01:12:37
Hey all , well i got my first corn snake yesterday . Hes a 7 month Crimson called Kyle .
we have brought a complete set up from the shop that sold the thermostat dimmer , hides , water bowl and plant , they said it will all be perfect for his lifespan apparently . At the min he is not in the viv as they suggested we keep him in the plastic container they have kept him in (it has a water bowl and hide) he got fed one the day we purchased him so we have let him be for now , we only handled him while we cleaned the soiled paper towel in the bottom . the thermostat is set to the right temp they and many others have suggested . To be honest at the moment hes not very active hes curled up under his hide , altho he was active when we cleaned him out. I wondered how long to wait before we begin to handle him ? they suggested we wait two feeds (hes on 1 fluff every 4 days , altho these look like pinkies that we have been given) is that about right? or could we handle him sooner? in the brief time we handled him today he was fairly calm, sniffing me out and sliding through my fingers.
sorry if i have rambled on , just want as much info as possible i guess! nice to meet u all :)
Law
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
boswell3782 Posted - 21/03/2011 : 11:09:08
Hello and welcome! Hope you have a nice stay.
Laws Posted - 10/03/2011 : 13:01:29
i noticed the pinkie had been regurged one tuesday so i took that out and lifted him out to check he seemed ok , had he not regurged we wouldnt have touched him until wednesday nite x
Laws Posted - 10/03/2011 : 12:57:24
i wil have a tweak with it and let it go abit higher , hes currently buried in the aspen in the cold side rite now .
Invalid User Posted - 10/03/2011 : 12:52:50
Hi, 80f is 26c and is a little low, ideally you want 83-86f (28-30c)
Laws Posted - 10/03/2011 : 12:50:23
hey lou , yeah we had a few troubles with the temps a few days before we had fed him but now we have everything sorted and the warm end reads 80 (even tho the stat is set to just abit higher , i see what u all mean with importance of thermometers)
we werent sure whether it was 10 days to wait we were gona wait at least a week as we figured he would be hungry after shedding? we have a few diff sized pinkies so figured we should pick the smaller ones out to ease his stomach? x
Invalid User Posted - 10/03/2011 : 12:41:24
quote:
Originally posted by Laws

we didnt quite realize he was in shed at first so on sun nite he was roaming around and wouldnt settle so we assumed he was hungry , fed him a pinkie which he devoured in seconds lol , we then left him for 2 days but on the second day we noticed he had regurgitated . he has finally shed and looks pretty now so im guessing thats why he regurged . we have kept a log and the process seemed to take 8 days so for next time we will kno what to look for and not to feed him incase he regurges again? does that sound right? xx

I don't know if shedding can cause a regurge so someone else will have to aswer that one but I do know that incorrect temps can cause it, and also handling too soon (which you didn't do so can rule that out). Usually after a regurge it's advised to not feed the snake again for 10 days to allow the tummy to settle and get back to normal.

Edit: have a read of this

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7792

Sorry, another edit, just read in your other post that you handled him tuesday. If he fed Sunday night he probably should not have been handled till wednesady as the ideal is 48 hours minimum.
Laws Posted - 10/03/2011 : 12:37:23
we didnt quite realize he was in shed at first so on sun nite he was roaming around and wouldnt settle so we assumed he was hungry , fed him a pinkie which he devoured in seconds lol , we then left him for 2 days but on the second day we noticed he had regurgitated . he has finally shed and looks pretty now so im guessing thats why he regurged . we have kept a log and the process seemed to take 8 days so for next time we will kno what to look for and not to feed him incase he regurges again? does that sound right? xx
Invalid User Posted - 10/03/2011 : 08:48:16
quote:
Originally posted by paul9115

wouldn't recommend feeding him while he's in the shedding process as he will be quite uncomfortable

All mine feed when in shed without any problems
paul9115 Posted - 10/03/2011 : 00:13:54
Welcome if you think he's going into shed I'd put it in now as once they go blue the skin is water tight so would be a waste of time should be a couple of weeks wouldn't recommend feeding him while he's in the shedding process as he will be quite uncomfortable hard to say how long it will take for him to reach a certain size as different snakes grow at different rates. How many pines are you feeding him? The size of prey should be roughly 1.5 times the diameter of the head. Hope this helps
catwig Posted - 08/03/2011 : 00:08:29
Hiya and welcome to the forum
Laws Posted - 07/03/2011 : 19:22:34
Hey , well kyles tank has been sorted now, complete wil digi thermoms . He has his first feed last nite and gobbled it down now problems . I'm thinking we need bigger than pinkies as there were no visible bump in his tummy after he had ate . Our local reptile shop said we could take him to them and they can double check the sex and check what sized food he should be on . Atm I would say he is 18-20 inches . How quick will he take to become around 26 inches ? We think he is about to shed as his colours aren't as vivid and he's eyes altho aren't completely blue , have def got a blue tinge to them , how long till he actually sheds ? His temps are right now and I got some moss to put under his hide ? Should I wait awhile to put it in ?
catwig Posted - 06/03/2011 : 17:47:50
Hi and welcome
gingerpony Posted - 06/03/2011 : 09:08:39
heya and welcome
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133
Laws Posted - 06/03/2011 : 00:18:49
hehehe roborovski hammies yep , they are crazy :)
Mort13 Posted - 05/03/2011 : 19:47:09
Hi and welcome. Did a double take when I looked at your sig and saw you had *robot* hamsters lol.
crazy JJ Posted - 03/03/2011 : 23:53:29
hey and welcome here
Laws Posted - 03/03/2011 : 21:40:53
thanks for the comments , sorry if the picture is too big im trying to figure out how to shrink it down . would u agree that he is a crimson? as i have seen some pics and he looks abit like an amel also? not to sure, on the box at the shop he was labelled crimson, but some of the morphs look similar !
we cleaned him out again today as he had pooped , i held him briefly while other half cleaned it , he was good as anything , he was very active after in his box asthough he wanted to be out more , cant wait a few more days so we can handle him more! tomorro we are going to give him his first feed , fingers crossed it all goes well!! xxx
thistle Posted - 03/03/2011 : 21:29:46
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Kyle is beautiful.
sparkaly Posted - 03/03/2011 : 21:05:03
Hi and welcome :)
mikeyd_26 Posted - 03/03/2011 : 20:50:52
welcome to the forum, kyle looks stunning :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000