The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hi

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 17/02/2011 : 20:42:04
Hi I need advice with my anery corn snake. He's about 10months old and is very cage defensive. He strikes a lot when you go to pick him up. I try to handle him as often as I can to make him friendlier but he isn't getting any better. Just wondering if any one has any advice on how to improve his behaviour??
Thanks Sam
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 18/02/2011 : 15:27:53
Thanks everyone. His in a two foot viv because his Faunarium wasn't keeping the heat in and his temp kept dropping. He has a cave looking hide on left side with three different plants. Ones partially one the hide with the other two joining on but spread across the viv as other hides. The temp is always correct in there.
Mort13 Posted - 18/02/2011 : 09:55:47
Hi and welcome.
If you let us know more about his set up theres plenty on here that'll be glad to help and advise.
Invalid User Posted - 18/02/2011 : 07:35:11
Hi and welcome
Kehhlyr Posted - 17/02/2011 : 23:29:40
Have a looky at this topic: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13662
And try to answer the questions in here, that'll give us more info to start with so we can help.
thistle Posted - 17/02/2011 : 23:09:54
Hi, welcome to the forum.

As Hannah has already said, we need more information to see if there is anything in your set up
that could be changed to help with his temperament.

It is common for a hatchling to be nervous and to strike out. In the wild many things see hatchling corns as a tasty meal so you can't blame them for being nervous when a big hand comes in and tries to grab them. You just need to put your hand in the viv without flinching and confidentally pick him up. Don't be scared of him striking at you, a bite from a 10mth old corn doesn't hurt in the slightest (most people say they wouldn't know they had even been bitten if they hadn't seen it). It may take a bit of time, but your baby will soon learn that striking out doesn't get him anywhere and that you aren't going to eat him.

Good luck.
HannahB Posted - 17/02/2011 : 21:14:52
hey and welcome
what is his housing like? the temps, number of hides etc - might be something is off with his housing, but he might just be a snappy bugger, my zero was a right devil when he was younger and it was just down to patience and perseverance that calmed him down, try keeping handling sessions short and sweet so that eventually you can build up on the time hes out for
hope this helps

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000