The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hi Everyone!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
thistle Posted - 24/01/2011 : 18:18:16
Hi!

I'm completely new to corn snakes. Over the years i've had loads of different pets, but to be honest I had never even thought of getting one. But all this changed when I was introduced to my future sister-in-laws common adult. It was gorgeous!

I couldn't stop thinking about it, even started lurking on this forum, just out of interest you understand, I still had no intentions of getting one myself. All that changed 9 days ago when I went to my local pet shop and spotted a beautiful 2' amel, still being kept in a cricket tub. I asked about it and was told it was a candy cane (even with my limited knowledge I knew it wasn't) and around 5-6mths old. He then went on to say that my 30x30x30 Exo Terra would be fine to keep it in for years, and of course the heat mat didn't need a stat! Needless to say I left with the snake and everything it needed, including a stat!

I have no idea what sex it is but have decided to call him Dave (or maybe Barnaby, I can't decide, what do you think?). He has had his 7 days settling in period and took a small mouse easily on Saturday. He's still quite shy and I haven't handled him much other than to move him in and out of his feeding tank. But I'm sure he'll come around quickly, I'm going to try getting him out for a short time tonight.

Anyway, here are a few pics I took the day I got him.

Peek-a-boo.....

I know he could do with being in a bigger tank now and I do have some larger Exo Terras for the next couple of step ups (45x45x45 and 60x45x45) but he'll need to wait for my ancient harvest mice to pass on (please no jokes about feeding them to the snake). Eventually I plan to get him a 4' viv, but that's a while down the road.

I can't believe how excited I am to have him. I've definitely been bitten by the bug, I'm already looking at pics if other morphs.... just out of interest you understand, I have no I tensions if getting any more.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pompeyjohn Posted - 26/01/2011 : 07:33:38
Another newbie member here so welcome also.
Kehhlyr Posted - 26/01/2011 : 01:00:47
Hello and welcome.
Name thread here: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6673
thistle Posted - 25/01/2011 : 23:32:20
Thanks for the fantastic welcome everyone.

Still haven't decided on the name. I love the idea of a snake called Dave, but it just doesn't seem to stick with him...... Maybe I should call him Barnaby and then will just have to get another corn that I can call Dave. Lol!

The first few handling sessions have gone well. He is very nervous and doesnt want to come out of the tank, he uses his tail to grab on to anything in his terrarium to stop me lifting him out (so far he's brought several plastic plants and his vine out with him). But he doesn't strike or rattle his tail so he is must be pretty good natured. I'm sure it won't take long for him to get used to me and to realise that I'm not a threat.
MeandMilo Posted - 25/01/2011 : 21:34:52
hi and welcome! your snake has beautiful colouration dave is a well good name for a snake. mines called Milo and i also recently got him.
look forward to seeing more pics of him
Mort13 Posted - 25/01/2011 : 10:09:45
Hi and congrats on the new addition Have you decided on his name yet? Hope your first handlins session went well.
Well done for ignoring the shops bad advice by the way.
Figs Posted - 24/01/2011 : 22:50:44
Hello and welcome!
Dave/Barnaby is gorgeous - looks really cheeky
razza Posted - 24/01/2011 : 22:13:06
welcome to the forum, stunning corn.
MrsA82 Posted - 24/01/2011 : 19:01:56
He's beautiful! I completely new to this too, got my baby Lola on Saturday. The same kinda colour but about half the size. So from one newbie to another, welcome!
gmac Posted - 24/01/2011 : 18:41:35
quote:
Originally posted by thistle

quote:
Originally posted by gmac

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Also out of curiosity what shop was it that told you this was a candycane

It was Creature Comforts in Clarkston.

im not really surprised then, you do have a cracking corn
Invalid User Posted - 24/01/2011 : 18:40:00
Hi and welcome.

I like the name Dave! Dave is a cool name for a snake :)
thistle Posted - 24/01/2011 : 18:38:59
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

It was Creature Comforts in Clarkston.
herriotfan Posted - 24/01/2011 : 18:34:20
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
Love your new addition, amels are gorgeous.
You'll have to post photos of your next snake after you've checked out the various morphs!!!!!!!
gmac Posted - 24/01/2011 : 18:31:55

n/a Posted - 24/01/2011 : 18:25:22
Welcome , I'm already planning my second vivarium, despite the other half's alleged dislike he's buying me a new larger viv for the 2 adults i adopted before xmas
thistle Posted - 24/01/2011 : 18:24:09
On Saurday I put the frozen mouse, in a poly bag, on top of the terrarium to defrost. Something tells me he noticed! Lol!

Sorry about the quality of the photo, I only have my iPhone to take pics with.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000