The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hi fellow snake lovers

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mort13 Posted - 29/09/2010 : 23:08:00
I got my first corn snake 6 weeks ago,well I got him for the kids ahem!! Have to say I'm absolutely smitten with him,he fascinates me and the kids adore him. We named him Loki as he looks a mischief,I say him but he might be a she.
He's doing well,had a complete shed 2 weeks ago and I had the privelege of witnessing it. Couldn't believe my luck! He's a fantastic feeder too. I've been putting him in another box for feeding and on the last 3 occasions he's found and started eating his pinkie (I call them jelly babies!) so quickly that I've still been holding him.....little pig!
Never done anything forum wise before,but this site seems great and its nice to see so many people that really love their pets.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 04/10/2010 : 11:36:25
heya and welcome
chrish Posted - 01/10/2010 : 19:56:35
Hi and welcome
Mort13 Posted - 01/10/2010 : 00:00:59
Thankyou. I'm well and truly smitten I have to say. Getting used to that 'plop' sound in the evening now where he's been exploring the lid of his faunarium and fallen off bless him.
Big credit to everyone on here by the way,so friendly and helpful :)
HannahB Posted - 30/09/2010 : 20:19:44
hey and welcome to you and loki
he looks adorable
mikeyd_26 Posted - 30/09/2010 : 12:58:51
welcome to the forum :]
Mort13 Posted - 30/09/2010 : 11:38:26
Thanks for the advice kellog. The pet shop gave me a care sheet on corn snakes to read before I got him but I also bought a book and looked online too. You can never have too much information can you I've kept bearded dragons in the past and had a couple of Yemen chameleons for a short while,my ex had an Indian python too so its not been too much of a learning curve set up wise.
Yeah,I though Loki was perfect for him/her. I couldn't believe my luck when I saw him shedding...or how quick they do it!
The kids wouldn't have had him if I didn't want him hee,hee and somehow I don't think he'll be the last I've been doing a diary of feeds and shedding,plus his growth. Shed skin is in there too
Mort13 Posted - 30/09/2010 : 11:20:30
Hi,these are some pics of little Loki
Taken loads but on most of them he looks like he's got a giant blurred head as he likes to investigate the camera!!

hiper2009 Posted - 30/09/2010 : 10:16:39
Hi & Welcome
herriotfan Posted - 30/09/2010 : 10:07:45
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
This is the best snake forum....I've been on a few but this is the best by far!
It's so friendly on here and we all help each other when we can as well as sharing all those great moments like when we see our snake shedding....you've already seen that, awesome!!
Can't wait to see the photos.
mozacchio Posted - 30/09/2010 : 05:57:13
Hello and welcome..!
This forum is amazing..!
Kellog Posted - 30/09/2010 : 02:51:02
Hi Amanda, it is really good that you have joined us! I had never used a forum before I came on here....and now they cant get rid of me . This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know....but it is better heard twice than not at all.

I am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is Care Sheet helpful. Also have a look at Your 1st snake and as it is a hatchling you have then Setting Up A Hatchling Corn Snake - My 101 is definitely required reading....I know you already have Loki's faun set-up but its a great guide to double check what you've done and gives lots of other information.

Loki is a perfect name and describes corns perfectly, being the 'god of Hokey Pokey'!! Did you realise that the gods bound Loki, with the entrails of his sons, and is having snake venom dripped on him by his wife in eternal punishment ! The name also means it doesnt matter whether 'he' is a him or a her. It sounds like he is doing really well with feeding....which shows how well you are doing ! And to have already witnessed a shed , there are forum members who have had snakes for years who havent seen that! I wonder how many parents have bought a snake for their kids, and they have either wanted it for themselves really or fallen in love with it once they got it. I know MY snakes were originally got as family snakes but are now MY snakes!

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately a lot of us have found that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . Like the fact that so many shops will sell a snake with a starter set up, but not let you know that you need a thermostat to control the heatmat and a digital thermometer to monitor the heat - 2 vital pieces of equipment. I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button....type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

I am not sure if you have thought of doing this with Loki, but I keep my own 'Snake Diaries'....noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - How to - Post images using photobucket

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx
Mort13 Posted - 30/09/2010 : 00:14:58
Hi thankyou,I finally managed it on the photo section. Ended up huge though,and I did the resizing thing....oops. You've got a lot of snakes!!
crazy JJ Posted - 29/09/2010 : 23:52:16
heya n welcome to the forum :)
there is a thread in the pics ection on how ya get piccies on :D
Mort13 Posted - 29/09/2010 : 23:41:07
Hi,thanks. I'm in the process of trying to work out how to do that at the mo. Not getting very far!!
kdlang Posted - 29/09/2010 : 23:29:01
Hi Welcome to the forum. You are right. This site is great and you will find a huge amount of advise, fun and friendship here. Loki sounds like he is doing great. Can't wait to see pics of him
gmac Posted - 29/09/2010 : 23:11:22
hi and welcome

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000