The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hello

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 28/09/2010 : 15:23:17
Hi,

I am new to the site and have just purchased a baby corn snake. I have never kept snakes before but my 5 year old daughter loves them and has pestered me for over a year to buy her one. I have finally given in to her and bought a corn snake as I was told these are good for beginners and children.

We have called him Thomas. He has been with us for three days now. I left him alone for a good 24 hours to settle in. However, he will not come out of his hide. I am keen to start taming him. I have put my hand in his cage and he comes for a smell but then goes and hides. Should I just pick him up or should I wait for him to come onto my hand himself? I think to get him out I am going to have to pick his hide up and just get him but don't want to stress him out.

We gave him a pinky mouse on Sunday (the breeder told us he has one on a sunday and one on a wednesday). He did come out and feed but immediately went back into his hide.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanx
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 04/10/2010 : 11:32:40
heya and welcome
hiper2009 Posted - 30/09/2010 : 10:17:52
Hi & Welcome
herriotfan Posted - 29/09/2010 : 14:41:58
It's a good sign that he comes and peeps at you, won't take him long to settle!
gmac Posted - 29/09/2010 : 14:02:52
Corns dont need any food suppliments, they are fine wioth just the mice
n/a Posted - 29/09/2010 : 14:01:26
Thanks for all the useful advice. I will leave him alone for a week now and let him settle in He has started to come out and have a look around now so hopefully he is feeling a bit more settled. Also when we put our faces up to the viv he comes right up to us for a look, is this a good sign? He doesn't seem to be upset just curious. I have read that I should be putting calcium powder on his food but when I asked in the pet shop which was the best brand to buy they told me corns don't need it, so I am a bit confused
mozacchio Posted - 29/09/2010 : 05:52:21
Hello and welcome!
Pics as soon as you can..!
Kellog Posted - 29/09/2010 : 04:28:55
Hi Sarah....what a fantastic mum you are, buying Thomas for your daughter !! Although I do wonder whether getting the snake wasnt only for your daughter's benefit ! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know....but it is better heard twice than not at all.

I am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is, as herriotfan mentioned, Care Sheet helpful. Also have a look at Your 1st snake and as it is a hatchling you have then Setting Up A Hatchling Corn Snake - My 101 is definitely required reading....I know it is all about setting up for your baby but means you can double check everything and it gives other really useful information.

Also as Herriotfan mentioned, we always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)....no handling or feeding for the first week to allow Thomas to get over the stress of the move and for him to get used to the new smells and his new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so he can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You obviously werent told this by the breeder and I am really pleased that Thomas fed for you and that he was good to handle....but I would suggest that you leave him alone for that settling in week now just to give him the best start possible. I will also reiterate what Herriotfan said about waiting for 48hrs after a feed before handling him, it really is vital otherwise you can risk a regurge....which is the last thing you want. Again, like Herriotfan, I dont mean to grumble at you about what you've already done , you didnt know any different....but you are on here asking for advice so you are getting it !

When that settling in week is up it is best to feed him, wait 48hrs and then start to 'tame' him....corn snakes are never really tamed, it is more a case of them getting used to us handling them and learning to accept it rather than being tame....if you see the difference. Have a look at this thread on Handling Advice so you can get some tips on what you can do.

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately a lot of us have found that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you (and we have also found that breeders can be the same). Like the fact that so many shops will sell a snake with a starter set up, but not let you know that you need a thermostat to control the heatmat and a digital thermometer to monitor the heat - 2 vital pieces of equipment. I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button....type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

I am not sure if you have thought of doing this with Thomas, but I keep my own 'Snake Diaries'....noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - How to - Post images using photobucket

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You and your daughter have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx
crazy JJ Posted - 28/09/2010 : 23:21:17
heya n welcome here :)
Chez Posted - 28/09/2010 : 23:06:53
welcome
smiffy89 Posted - 28/09/2010 : 21:20:30
welcome
gmac Posted - 28/09/2010 : 20:21:50
hi and welcome
rachiepotatoe Posted - 28/09/2010 : 18:27:51
Welcome :) !
mikeyd_26 Posted - 28/09/2010 : 18:22:58
welcome to the forum :]
Deano712 Posted - 28/09/2010 : 18:22:56
hello sarah, welcome to the forum !
herriotfan Posted - 28/09/2010 : 17:22:13
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
We would normally suggest leaving a snake for a week to settle in. Just check the substrate for any little messes and change the water daily.
Don't worry about feeding during that week, a snake can go a long time without food! It's much better to give him the week to settle.
When you feed him he must be left for 48 hours to digest his meal. If you handle him any sooner then you risk him regurgitating which is really not good for a snake.
Sounds like I'm grumbling at you.....don't mean to, just trying to give you some help with important details for the wellbeing of your snake.
Have a look on the caresheet, via the homepage, it's full of great advice and info.
What colour (morph) is Thomas? Let's see some photos when he's settled, we love photo's on here!
chrish Posted - 28/09/2010 : 17:17:16
Hello and welcome
n/a Posted - 28/09/2010 : 16:14:29
I've just got him out and he's had a really good look around. He seemed to settle down really quickly and didn't mind going from my hand to my daughter's so I think that's a good sign
Brookestar Posted - 28/09/2010 : 15:31:16
snakes are very timid so given the choice they would rather hide. you are gonna have to pick him up :) corns dont tend to be aggressive but some can be a bit snappy but if he s sniffing around thats a good sign he will be fine to be picked up

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000