The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Baby corns not eating

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 28/09/2010 : 15:02:24
Hello everyone, I am new to this website and joined because I desperately need advice and help to get my baby corns eating by themselves. I had 6 eggs and 4 hatched successfully in the 3rd week of july. They all shed well by the end of July and one of the babies took a pinkie straight away and has never looked back. He is off to his new home and is growing and looking really well. The other 3 are a nightmare!! I,m aware that young corns can be difficult to get started on food but this is ridiculous. They got so thin that myself and a friend have been assisst feeding them for weeks now which is very stressful for them. I,m using bits of cut up pinkies, jumbo mouse tails cut up and also mealworms. They have started to put on weight and are shedding and pooing well but they just wont eat by themselves. Have tried rolling the pinkies in fish as someone suggested, but that didn't work either. HELP!!
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 07/10/2010 : 09:59:43
Why dont you start a thread in the either the 'Corn Health' or 'Corn Breeding' section Tish, cos that way you can get direct help from people experienced with dealing with hatchlings that arent eating.....

xxx
n/a Posted - 06/10/2010 : 08:25:54
Hi and once again thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply to me. I brained a couple of pinkies last night and popped them in the tank with them under a hide but have just checked and they are still there uneaten. After reading the comments about someone else's babies not eating for three months i dont feel quite so worried about them now, although I think a vitamin supplement in the water is a very good idea. They are drinking a lot so it would be some kind of goodness for them.

I am interested to know if I should just leave them to get really hungry or if force feeding them is better to help them grow. They definately started to grow and had a lot more energy when I started to feed them myself. I think the day they take a pinky by themselves I will throw a party! :-) Tish
gingerpony Posted - 04/10/2010 : 11:31:29
heya and welcome

any updates?
hiper2009 Posted - 30/09/2010 : 10:17:16
Hi & Welcome
Azzheasman Posted - 29/09/2010 : 18:38:00
i left mine in with the littuns over night most of them took it smells bad after about 18 hours tho so gotta be quick, get them nice and warm, if you have to brain it do it when its frozen waayyyy less messy then let it thaw on its own or on a heatmat always worked for me :) good luck. (it has been known for babies to take a few months to eat if your having real concerns try supplementing their water, i used reptiboost for mine and it just put my mind at ease they will eat when they are ready :p )
Kellog Posted - 29/09/2010 : 04:35:50
Hi and welcome to the forum Tish....I am just sorry you have had to join us under such circumstances. I am afraid that I dont know anything about hatchlings so cant help you, but we have lots of members who breed corns and have had this exact problem....I think one forum member had a hatchling that went 3 months before it ate properly....so I am sure you will get a lot more help along the lines of the great advice given by Brookestar.

Please let us know how you and the babies are doing....and I do hope that something that is suggested helps.

xxx

n/a Posted - 28/09/2010 : 20:17:30
Thank you for the suggestions, I haven't tried braining the pinkies yet....was trying to avoid that one but looks like might have to just go for it. Already feeding them mouse tails but they still wont take them on their own. I will ask at my local reptile shop if they would let me roll some pinkies in the lizards tank and will try that next. Thanks again and I will keep you posted. Tish.
Brookestar Posted - 28/09/2010 : 19:10:23
thanks herriotfan :)
herriotfan Posted - 28/09/2010 : 17:27:19
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
What a worry for you. Brookestar has given you great tips to try. I've also been told that they will sometimes eat if the pinky smells of lizard. Don't know if your local reptile place would let you rub a few pinkies in their lizard enclosures...sounds crazy but anything's worth a try!! Good luck with them.....
Brookestar Posted - 28/09/2010 : 15:09:54
if they arent takin a pinky there is a number of things to try.
1) you could try using mice tails instead of pinkies, if you ask your reptile shop they normal will do some for free or really cheap
2) Brain the pinky, this means you slit the head o the pinky so the brain of the pinky is on show, this sometimes helps snakes to take the food
3) make sure your pinky is hot, snakes see in infrared so if the mouse is cold the sake can not always get the scent.

hope your lil babies start eating soonand welcome to the forum tish :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000