The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 New - To here and to snakes!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sadie_Hunt Posted - 24/09/2010 : 13:29:24
So thought I would introduce myself and get some information at the same time :)
I've been wanting a snake since I was a little girl, but my dad is scared of them (lol ;D) so now that I am no longer living at home I am thinking of getting one. Any advice?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
chrish Posted - 26/09/2010 : 19:56:28
oooooooo go for the bloodred!!! and hello by the way
Sadie_Hunt Posted - 26/09/2010 : 12:00:44
Lol oh deeear I hope he doesn't. I'll print the email off and claim he can't go back on his word now mwahaha :D
Kellog Posted - 26/09/2010 : 03:57:32
quote:
Originally posted by Sadie_Hunt

........The information has been really helpful.

........I handled an 8month old bloodred. He was beautiful! Really active and curious as well which made me laugh. So excited :D........

UPDATE! I have now gotten the okay from my landlord :D One step closer hehe

That is fantastic news Sadie , I am so pleased for you. Lets just hope your landlord doesnt read any horror stories about escaping snakes !

xxx
Sadie_Hunt Posted - 25/09/2010 : 16:26:04
:D Thank you so much Kellog :D The information has been really helpful.
I went into a pet shop I know that stocks corn snakes and spoke to the woman in charge of the reptile section. I handled an 8month old bloodred. He was beautiful! Really active and curious as well which made me laugh. So excited :D Just have to double check with my landlord and then see about when the best time to purchase is.

UPDATE! I have now gotten the okay from my landlord :D One step closer hehe
Kellog Posted - 25/09/2010 : 02:14:55
Hi Sadie, it is really good that you have joined us, especially before you get your snake so you can do as much research as possible....the type of forum member we love ! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know....but it is better heard twice than not at all.

It is obvious you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. I think its fantastic that you have bookmarked the important threads as required reading over the next few months ....being prepared really is so important, for you and, more importantly, for your snake!

I know this is very early advice for you but you seem the sort who would want to know . Make sure you set up the faun/viv at least a few days before you get your snake. That way you can get it up and running, making sure there are no problems - and if there are you know where to come . When you do get your snake we always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)....no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your snake to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so it can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about your corn not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you.

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately a lot of us have found that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button....type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

Sika has already mentioned this and I do the same....keeping my own 'Snake Diaries'....noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !! It is also good to get as much info about the snake you are buying when you get it (pretty obvious advice I know, but often people dont think to ask).

I think lots of different forum members have started with different ages, from those who have had their snakes from when they were hatchlings to me who got mine when they were 4/5yrs old. Personally I would suggest that as a beginner a hatchling may not be ideal, as sometimes there is a problem with feeding etc. A juvenile is perfect, one that has a proven history of handling, feeding and shedding. I know it means you miss that exciting first growing stage (something I regret) but you can always get that with your next snake when you are more experienced !

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You are contemplating starting down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx
chrish Posted - 24/09/2010 : 17:03:42
hello and welcome
gingerpony Posted - 24/09/2010 : 16:52:12
heya and welcome
clintham Posted - 24/09/2010 : 16:47:16
quote:
Originally posted by Sadie_Hunt

Cheers :)

And clintham, just noticed your from just up the road from me. Well, where my family still live anyway :)

theres a few of us in lincolnshire - from my experience all very kind and willing to help (as are all the other forum members). infact im getting my snake from crazyJJ - based in lincolnshire :)
i decided to get a hatchie as i wanted to be a part of the whole process. my snake will be nearly 3 months old when i collect him next month
Sadie_Hunt Posted - 24/09/2010 : 15:55:57
I think I could be happy with that haha :D
Sika Posted - 24/09/2010 : 15:30:50
Haha yeah Sadie Hunt, but when first you get a snake for Christmas you'll keep getting them for future birthdays and Christmases and all the equipment too xD
Sadie_Hunt Posted - 24/09/2010 : 15:09:33
If it wasn't for the fact I am getting climbing equipment for my birthday next week I would get a snake then lol
Figs Posted - 24/09/2010 : 15:05:30
Hello and welcome
Good choice if you go for corns - they are so much fun
herriotfan Posted - 24/09/2010 : 15:04:46
Hi
Welcome aboard!
You're going to love it on here, so much info on cornsnakes.
Yup, research is the key....lots of it.
A hatchling is best if you want to watch your snake grow up or maybe a yearling.
You won't rest now until you get that snake!! Then beware....they are VERY addictive!!!
Sadie_Hunt Posted - 24/09/2010 : 13:53:52
Cheers :)

And clintham, just noticed your from just up the road from me. Well, where my family still live anyway :)
Sika Posted - 24/09/2010 : 13:51:01
I got mine (and my first one also) when she was just 2 months old.. but i love that i got her so young cause it's been fun to follow her.
She has been a very easy snake, never the tiniest problem...
Sadie_Hunt Posted - 24/09/2010 : 13:49:15
Great idea :D Thanks
What would be the best age for me to look for as a first time owner?
Sika Posted - 24/09/2010 : 13:46:43
Just a tip: When once you've got your snake make you're own care-sheet and type dates of feeding, weight gain, shedding and so on.
I Found it helpful when following my own first snake, and when getting the next it'll be fun to compare... And you can easier follow your snakes progress and adjust feeding accordingly to it's weight gain :)
Sadie_Hunt Posted - 24/09/2010 : 13:41:41
Thanks for the welcome :)
I have now bookmarked the various informative threads so that I can read over them in the next few weeks. The snake will probably be a Christmas present, though the temptation to get one earlier is very high lol
mikeyd_26 Posted - 24/09/2010 : 13:40:30
Beaten 2 it lol!
mikeyd_26 Posted - 24/09/2010 : 13:39:40
Hi!
I'd say do as much research as poss the care sheet on this site is a good place to start, also the stickies in the different sections of this forum offer good information and advice.
also most questions can be answerd by forum members so dont hesitate to ask :]

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000