The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hey!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Shelby Posted - 22/09/2010 : 09:51:30
Hey my name is shelly I have just become the proud owner of 2 baby corn snakes they r the tiniest and cutest things ever!!!! I will post pics wen I take some! It's great to know there's a place to come if I need some advice!
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Shelby Posted - 26/09/2010 : 09:31:12
I'm just glad I found this place sooner rather then later wen it may have been too late! Thanks guys for all the great advice u have all given me it is greatly appreciated!!!
Kellog Posted - 26/09/2010 : 03:49:46
quote:
Originally posted by Shelby

Well I was planning to have them separate in the first place but the breeder then told me they would b fine together so I put them together... So I shall go ahead with my original plans of housing them separate lol! I Neva ment to offend ne one by housing them together I was just obviously miss informed... Thank u for all ur advice everyone I shall separate them!! I would hate for one to get eaten :( xx

I am so glad to hear that you will be separating them Shelly....and dont be silly about offending anyone by housing them together!! Of course you havent, you followed advice you were given by someone you trusted and we have all been there and done that. I am just so glad that you found this forum and discovered the dangers involved with keeping them together....and most importantly that you are following the advice given and separating them.

Thank you .

xxx
Shelby Posted - 25/09/2010 : 19:26:39
Well I was planning to have them separate in the first place but the breeder then told me they would b fine together so I put them together... So I shall go ahead with my original plans of housing them separate lol! I Neva ment to offend ne one by housing them together I was just obviously miss informed... Thank u for all ur advice everyone I shall separate them!! I would hate for one to get eaten :( xx
HannahB Posted - 25/09/2010 : 16:14:23
hey and welcome

i would separate them now rather than further down the line as one might be stressed already
people who do cohabit on here tend to cohabit older corns and do so very carefully with the supplies to be able to separate them at any given moment,
if they start curling up together dont assume its because they like eachother or its because they want to be near eachother..usually its not - its because they are competing for space and one clearly thinks that the other has got the best space already..
if you do decide to keep them together then keep an eye out for little individual changes - snakes dont often show signs of stress like we do so its possible that one might already be stressed.. not eating and not being particularly active can be a sign of stress (although they can be signs of a shed aswell)
also younger corns can turn cannibalistic if cohabited so its not something i'd want to risk - i have 6 corns and i know its tempting and would save me a lot of space but the health and welbeing of my corns is more important to me than how much space they take up in my bedroom
but welcome to the forum
Shelby Posted - 25/09/2010 : 08:36:22
I was not told I had to leave them a week I hope they will b ok... Yes they r together but only because the breeder said they would b fine together his adults have always been together with no problems? They have enough hides and everything n they r fed seperatly. Sorry for being naive I do apologise but I thought they would b fine together cos my breeder has Neva had ne problems at all and they were all very friendly snakes! Obviously I will keep an eye on them to make sure they r fine together n if nething does happen god forbid I shall separate them straight away! But I have read on here that ppl keep them together successfully.
Kellog Posted - 25/09/2010 : 02:50:08
Hi Shelly, it is really good that you have joined us! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know....but it is better heard twice than not at all.

I am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133. As it is hatchlings you have then this thread http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878 is required reading !

I see from your 'I'm so proud' post that you have just fed them both. I am so glad they have eaten for you, that is always a relief and amazing to watch . Working out my dates I would assume that you werent told about leaving them for a week to settle in (apologies now if you did, maths has never been my strong point !). We always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)....no handling or feeding for the first week to allow Jasper and Yoshi to get over the stress of the move and for them to get used to the new smells and their new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so they can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about them not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake. Obviously you now have to leave them for the 48hrs of no handling after feeding, so if you havent done the week of settling in it may be worth leaving them a few extra days....just to give them the best chance .

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately a lot of us have found that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . For one thing they think that it is ok to keep hatchlings together when it can be dangerous. Are Jasper and Yoshi together or do they have their own fauns? I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button....type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

I am not sure if you have thought of doing this with your 2, but I keep my own 'Snake Diaries'....noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx
Figs Posted - 23/09/2010 : 10:06:04
Hello and welcome
gingerpony Posted - 23/09/2010 : 09:51:56
heya and welcome
gmac Posted - 22/09/2010 : 14:30:21
hi and welcome to the forum
mikeyd_26 Posted - 22/09/2010 : 12:13:06
welcome to the forum :]
drchino Posted - 22/09/2010 : 11:37:08
Hi and welcome!
miss_mystra Posted - 22/09/2010 : 11:28:47
hello! *waves* :)
herriotfan Posted - 22/09/2010 : 10:04:48
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
Can't wait to see photos of your little snakes.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000