The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hi

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 20/09/2010 : 20:52:50
Hi im new here :D me and my partner have just got 2 little baby corns...they're so cute :D

Ive got a bit of a worry with one of them though...its just started acting really odd...its tipping itself upside down, pushing his head into the side of the viv and im really worried. It doesnt look like a normal behaviour...any ideas would be greatly appreciated :D

anyway hi again
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 25/09/2010 : 03:03:57
Hi Lou, it is really good that you have joined us! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know....but it is better heard twice than not at all.

I cant believe it, you have only had corns a few days and you have already seen one shed !! Do you know how jealous some forum members are going to be who have had corns for years and never seen them shed ?! Was it a clean shed (could you see the eye caps and tail tip on the shed skin)? What an amazing experience for you so soon . And as Sta~ple said....corns have a habit of making us worry. I am sure they do it on purpose a lot of the time, its their 'corny' sense of humour !

I am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133. As it is hatchlings you have then this thread http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878 is required reading !

I am not sure when you got your babies, but we always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)....no handling or feeding for the first week to allow them to get over the stress of the move and for them to get used to the new smells and their new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so they can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about them not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake. If you havent done this then it may be worthwhile doing it from now....just to give your babies the best start possible.

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately a lot of us have found that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . For one thing they think that it is ok to keep hatchlings together when it can be dangerous. Are your babies in together or do they have their own fauns? I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button....type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

I am not sure if you have thought of doing this, but I keep my own 'Snake Diaries'....noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path and already have 2....so I think you are probably a lost cause !!

xxx
kdlang Posted - 21/09/2010 : 15:02:51
hi welcome to the forum :)
herriotfan Posted - 21/09/2010 : 12:45:42
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
What are your snakes called? Any photos?
FiestaSTLou Posted - 21/09/2010 : 12:21:07
hi and welcome :)
crazy JJ Posted - 21/09/2010 : 12:13:31
heya n welcome here :)
Sta~ple Posted - 21/09/2010 : 09:25:45
Hello and welcome here ^^ they have a habit of making us worry
gingerpony Posted - 21/09/2010 : 07:43:34
heya and welcome
rachiepotatoe Posted - 20/09/2010 : 21:42:03
Welcome to the forum !
mikeyd_26 Posted - 20/09/2010 : 21:13:25
welcome to the forum :]
Glad all is good!!
gmac Posted - 20/09/2010 : 21:03:52
hehe, welcome to snake keeping these guys are put here to test us,

and welcome to the forum
n/a Posted - 20/09/2010 : 21:01:03
its ok panic over :D he's just shedding....ive never seen that behaviour during a shed before and it scared me a bit...all good now though :D

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000