The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Starting out.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BHAFC72 Posted - 26/08/2010 : 11:00:07
Greetings All.

I'm looking into keeping my first ever snake,be it a Corn or Rosy Boa.
I'm still in the process of researching this field as it's something i'm keen to take up.I've kept Tropical fish for a number of years in the past and i've still kept the 3ft tank.
I want to buy a baby snake and raise it so i'm looking into getting a Rub or whatever they are called untill it's grown.Then i will put it into my old fish tank.
I just need some tips on how to start,budget requirements,where to buy Rubs/size and equipment etc.

I'm still feeling my way around this board so usefull links would be appreciated.
Can anyone recommend a decent book and stores in west sussex/Surrey area aswell?

Oh nearly forgot,i'm from Crawley in sussex and i'm a passionate Brighton fan who hasn't told his girlfiend about owning a snake yet She will be fine though.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
KITTYCAT Posted - 02/09/2010 : 07:51:26
we got the vents from B&Q put them on the lid and the screw/stick on lights that work with a mains or batteries that you press to switch on as they have a cover and dont heat up
rachiepotatoe Posted - 28/08/2010 : 15:38:32
I brought my baby corn up in a small fish tank. Personally I think a fish tank is best. They looks nice, they're easy to clean, great for viewing your little fella too. I had a 'clear-seal' fish tank they had in the local pet shop. It was great but I did have to put books on top of the lid so he didnt escape (not covering the mesh).
The jump from a small tank to a 3ft may be abit daunting though. and if it isnt scary for him, you might worry a little when you cant find him amongst everything (I kept thinking mine had escaped! he was hiding behind his new background...buggar.) I think a good idea may be to simply get something to divide your tank, then as he grows you can introduce him to more of the tank :)

I hope your new snake feels right at home whatever you decided to do !
lee2308 Posted - 28/08/2010 : 12:45:17
hi and welcome to the forum
BHAFC72 Posted - 28/08/2010 : 08:48:33
Thanks all again.Book in post so hopefully arrive next tuesday.Can't wait to get my nose into it.I've been reading lots of old threads on here and have picked up some valuable information.Still getting tips and help over the net.
Thanks Kitty about the fish tank.I'm in the process of working out how i'm going to make a lid snake proof with vents and a light for viewing purposes only.
I'm possibly going against the grain here but i do have my own opinions on this.
I want to start out with the smallest snake i can get hold of and a suitable home for it.I will probably leave in there for around 4-6 months before transfering it to my 3ft tank.People will say that's a big jump i don't believe so.If the tank is densely populated then i cannot see the snake feeling exposed or threatened.Snakes still have to leave there home in the wild to hunt and could well cover a fair bit of ground.
I've also had a good look at some of the set ups on here and they are simply atunning.At the same time i'm starting to go off the idea of RUBS as well.That's just personal choice.

OMG postman has just arrived and delivered the book.I only ordered that yesterday from Fleabay.Now i'm really getting aroused sorry excited.
KITTYCAT Posted - 27/08/2010 : 15:30:20
one of my snakes is in a fish tank with a heat mat underneath. My OH made a heavier lid for it and put in 2 vents.Just make sure the lid of your tank is secure and that it is ventilated
Sta~ple Posted - 26/08/2010 : 16:43:42
Hello and welcome here, seems like you have a hard choice to make between snakes. If you use your fish tank you will probably have to modified it with a wire mesh top. I used to have a snake in a glass tank, he was fine with no sides covered up but then again, the tank was against a corner so he only saw wall paper at 2 sides of his tanks :D Have you thought about how you are going to heat the tank yet?

Ebay is a good place to buy stuff normally, specially thermometers although I would recommend not to buy anything from China as customs are annoying at times lol.
gingerpony Posted - 26/08/2010 : 16:18:37
heya and welcome

quote:
Originally posted by stotty01

i wouldnt put it in a fish tank as when you put your hand they may think it is a bird of prey and strike,

not heard that one before! and i don't agree with it either, sorry.
i wouldn't put it in a fish tank as the temperatures can be too unstable, the lids not snake-proof unless well-designed, it's difficult to run cables into it and you'd need to cover 3 sides of it to make your snakde feel secure rather than exposed.
BHAFC72 Posted - 26/08/2010 : 16:17:47
I've always been fascinated in reptiles but never got round to owning one.
I've handled plenty of wild baby adders as there are loads around my area.
BHAFC72 Posted - 26/08/2010 : 16:14:57
Cheers all.Thanks for the book recommendation.It won't be for another month yet as i want to get it right first time.I've learnt that the hard way with tropical fish when i first started out.
herriotfan Posted - 26/08/2010 : 15:49:46
quote:
Originally posted by Figs

Hello and welcome

I've got a book that really helped me before i got mine - "The Corn Snake Manual" by Bill and Kathy Love

Hi
Welcome to the forum.
Excellent book as quoted above.
Corns are lovely snakes, you won't go far wrong with one of these beauties.
hiper2009 Posted - 26/08/2010 : 15:17:35
Hello and welcome
crazy JJ Posted - 26/08/2010 : 15:07:23
heya n welcome :)
Figs Posted - 26/08/2010 : 12:32:59
Hello and welcome

I've got a book that really helped me before i got mine - "The Corn Snake Manual" by Bill and Kathy Love
DannyBrown91 Posted - 26/08/2010 : 12:10:13
Hey, welcome to the forum. Have a little look at the care sheet which stotty has linked too, its very useful and tells you the basics

quote:
Originally posted by stotty01

i wouldnt put it in a fish tank as when you put your hand they may think it is a bird of prey and strike, here is a link to a care sheet :) http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

Thats not true, the snake will know your not a bird of prey, and just because you have to come in from the top dosn't mean you can't approach from an angle where the snake can see you coming and scoop him up. If he was to use a RUB or faun which many others use then you will be entering from above.

Although fish tanks may need adjusting a little to make them snake proof.
stotty01 Posted - 26/08/2010 : 11:39:50
i wouldnt put it in a fish tank as when you put your hand they may think it is a bird of prey and strike, here is a link to a care sheet :) http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm
FiestaSTLou Posted - 26/08/2010 : 11:15:13
Rubs are great inexpensve things to use to house snakes :) you will can pick them up from staples or similar places, the best way to heat rubs are with heat mats, and you will need a thermostat to control the heat. The best way to monitor the heat is by using digital thermometers, I woulndt bother getting a dial or strip one they are pretty naff! make sure u put lots of holes in the rub for ventilation, theres a great care sheet on this website which will tell you all about substrates, heating, housnig ect.. anything u need to know just ask, the people on here are great and full of great advise :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000