The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 helloooo,

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 24/08/2010 : 21:07:54
helloo,
im new to this site, but i have been snooping around posts long enough, to where i figured id make an account.so i did.

i juss got my first corn snake this past sunday, @ a reptile show/breeders expo.
shes a 1 year old female candy cane, over a foot long.

her name is medusa,
from the greek 'goddess' with the snakes as hair,
and from a BMTH (bring me the horizon-) song.

the first day i got her, on sunday, she was so sweet, giving kisses, and juss amazing.and the guy told me she was due for a feeding.
so that night, i got her one pinky, (juss to see how it all goes before i get more)
and she ate it,(outside her tank) and i thought this was very good and everything,
so, iknow your not suppossed to handle/interact with the snake for 7 days, but yesturday (monday), i couldnt resist, and i juss wanted to see if she was ohkay, bc the whole day she was in the same curled up position, under a paper towel.
so, her tail startted to rattle, and then she tried to strike @ me.

now, i know i broke the whole "law" of the 7 day thing,
but honeslty, do you think shell go back to how she was on sunday?
im thinking, that since this sunday well be a week since ive had her,
i can try to hold her, and shell be do for a feeding,so i can give her, her mice.

bottom line, id juss really like to know everyones personal opinion about how shell do on sunday ( if i dont mess with her intill then).

i choose her out of any other one bc of how her temperment was.
but now, im really nervous, that she wont be this way anymore,
im hoping itll be gone next sunday,and shell go back to how she was when i first got her, but id juss like to know any one elses opinion.

thanks in advance,
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
KITTYCAT Posted - 27/08/2010 : 15:19:53
hello n welcome to the forum
hiper2009 Posted - 27/08/2010 : 11:32:15
Hello and welcome
gingerpony Posted - 26/08/2010 : 16:13:42
heya and welcome
hope your snake kept it's meal down despite being handled so soon afterwards.
leaving them to settle for 7 days is to help lessen stress. snakes can cope with certain levels of stress and that particular amount is dependant on the individual. there is also the temptation for ANY new pet to be over-handled in the first few sweeks until the novelty wears off.
we just advise on 'best practice'
crazy JJ Posted - 25/08/2010 : 12:25:11
i didnt use the week rule 4 all ma snakies, the first 4 (max, shikira, dime, siass) i have had no problems with it, the most recent snakies i got (skittles, scooby and topaz) i did do the week rule and there is not much difference tbh but i do respect the fact coming to a new house, difo smells etc has got to be a lil scary for a snakie so i do keep to the week rule now for te snakies sake..

and just to add its finally up with topaz yessssssssssssss :D
sullysteve Posted - 25/08/2010 : 10:23:17
quote:
Originally posted by emilee

wow, thanks for all the help, quick replies, and welcomes.
i guess i could try and hold her today, since it be past 48 hrs from her feeding, ill let you guys know how it goes, wish me luck!

& i actually dont know about the 7 day rule, thats juss what ive heard, not only from this site, it be nice to know why so many have said this though, i never bothered questioning it, i juss did it,..well, TRIED too. i juss couldnt resist!

That was my reason lol!!

HannahB Posted - 25/08/2010 : 10:01:11
hey and welcome
i left all my snakes for 7days and havent had a problem with any of them, except for zero but he was nippy right from before we got him so we gave him plenty of space to chill as he was pretty highly strung!
the 7 day rule simply gives the snake chance to settle in - lets face it if you have just been carted around in a tub for several hours and get shoved into an albeit nice but completely new home with new smells and sounds the last thing you are going to want is a giant hand prodding and poking you..
just out of interest how big is your new snake?
n/a Posted - 25/08/2010 : 09:47:55
wow, thanks for all the help, quick replies, and welcomes.
i guess i could try and hold her today, since it be past 48 hrs from her feeding, ill let you guys know how it goes, wish me luck!

& i actually dont know about the 7 day rule, thats juss what ive heard, not only from this site, it be nice to know why so many have said this though, i never bothered questioning it, i juss did it,..well, TRIED too. i juss couldnt resist!
sullysteve Posted - 25/08/2010 : 09:39:23
quote:
Originally posted by pastie

Hi welcome 2 the mad forumz :D i also handled my 2 corns from the word go. I dont handle for atleast 48hours after feeding only to put them back in there viv, ive never been bitten by my 2 corns both are nearly the same age as yours also is the cloth the only cover/hide your corn has?

Is that a coincidence that we both handled from the word go and have never been bitten etc..?

Can anyone answer why you have to leave them for 7 days?

its quite strange how we both have the same corn morphs too!
pastie Posted - 25/08/2010 : 08:07:20
Hi welcome 2 the mad forumz :D i also handled my 2 corns from the word go. I dont handle for atleast 48hours after feeding only to put them back in there viv, ive never been bitten by my 2 corns both are nearly the same age as yours also is the cloth the only cover/hide your corn has?
Figs Posted - 24/08/2010 : 21:22:09
It usually takes (for my troops atleast) much longer than a day to digest, so that poop is highly likely to be from her previous meal - unless it was the regurgitated pinky... which should still look sort of pinky-ish and less poop-ish.

Congrats on the new snake though - there are a couple of Medusas here already so i'm sure yours will fit right in
and welcome to the forum!
n/a Posted - 24/08/2010 : 21:17:02
hello C:
and yes, i know this, but i juss wanted to see if she was ohkay, and breathing.

and, actually before i tried to interact with her, there was poop in her cage, now, i dont know if this was from my feeding, or the feeding before mine.
i found it in there when i woke up on monday, and i fed her on sunday.

thank you. c;
sullysteve Posted - 24/08/2010 : 21:15:48
but i do abide by the 48 hour after feeding rule !!
sullysteve Posted - 24/08/2010 : 21:15:11
Hi there. I'm not experienced enough at the moment to answer your question, but what i can say is that i have heard everone talk about the 7 day rule and everyone that has used it, seem to have an issue. I however, handled my two guys from the moment i got em and they have never striked at me nor even backed off from me when i open the viv. I PERSONALLY have the OPINION that you should handle them from the word go, but like i said, i dont have the experience that most have on here.
I'm sure that if you stick at it and be confident when approaching her, that she will soon be just fine hun!

Sully
gmac Posted - 24/08/2010 : 21:13:54
she had only just fed an was hiding away to digest her meal, she was telling you to leave me alone, She will be fine after digestion of her dinner.

You shouldnt handle snakes for 48 hours after a feed as you may disturb them and get a nasty regurge.

And hi and welcome

(edited as spelling is shocking)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000