The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hi all

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jarvo Posted - 13/08/2010 : 13:44:08
I have done loads of research into keeping corn snakes (prob info over load) as I have wanted to own a snake from childhood for thier beauty and fasination but I do have a few unanswered questions if anybody can help please.
a) I am expecting to get bitten by a hatchling until the snake no longer sees me as enemy or prey do I continue to handle or return the snake to it,s viv?
b) I also have a labrador who is very inquesitive but very gentle could this be an issue?
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jarvo Posted - 20/08/2010 : 20:04:50
Hi all,
The time has come when I bring the snake home now called Zack although we do not know what sex he/she is the snake handler at the pet shop told me it could harm a hatchling to probe or pop it(now 4 weeks old).
I have the temp at 28.4C - 29C regulated by a habistat and the heat mat covering one third of the faun.
I need to be good now and not handle for a week after only 3 hours Zack is exploring his new enviroment.

herriotfan Posted - 17/08/2010 : 16:28:30
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
Pleased you're doing lots of research before getting your snake.
Check out the individual prices of gear for your snake. It may be cheaper in the long run than a kit which you have to add to. Look on ebay, preloved etc. You might be lucky and pick up a real bargain. You could post here in the classified to see if anyone has any outgrown equipment.....no, maybe not...... we all tend to get another snake!!!!
Jarvo Posted - 17/08/2010 : 12:46:41
Thank you all for the advice I am more confident on what I need to do to keep my snake happy and healthy I will take my time and make sure that I have everything before I bring the snake home.
Cheers,
Paul.
p.s. I will post some pics when the snake has settled in.
Kellog Posted - 14/08/2010 : 02:45:43
Hi Paul, it is really good that you have joined us! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . It is fantastic to hear that you have done so much research before getting your corn , its no wonder you are feeling on information overload1! Sorry if I am repeating information you already know....but it is better heard twice than not at all.

I am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133.

A great topic on setting up for getting a hatchling is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878. One important piece of advice is to get your starter kit a few days before you get your hatchling, so that you can get it set up and running properly before you finally bring your snake home. And definitely check about the stat and digital thermometer, as Gmac and DannyBrown have said - vital pieces of equipment.

When you do get your hatchling we always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)....no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your snake to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so it can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about your corn not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

As far as handling goes you have been given good advice, checkout this topic for some hints on how to go about doing it when the time comes - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8735.

As far as your dog is concerned you just need to wait and see how it is going to react to your snake when you get it. The hatchling is going to be very scared and jumpy....so a big wet nose being poked at it isnt going to help ! Best thing is to keep some distance between them and once you are happy handling your baby let your dog have a sniff and see what reaction you get. I have 2 adult snakes who I let slide on the floor, and a jack russel cross who totally ignores them....but I would never trust her 100% and always keep a very close eye on them all, not letting her get too close - she has had to learn that when I am handling the snakes then she doesnt get attention (and then she gets lots of love afterwards !).

Sounds like you have already discovered that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately a lot of us have found that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! DannyBrown has guided you to the first place to look - the search button....type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

I am not sure if you have thought of doing this when you get your snake, but I keep my own 'Snake Diaries'....noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You are about to start down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx
crazy JJ Posted - 13/08/2010 : 23:11:40
heya n welcome :)
n/a Posted - 13/08/2010 : 17:38:41
welcome aboard
lee2308 Posted - 13/08/2010 : 17:37:04
hi and welcome to the forum
DannyBrown91 Posted - 13/08/2010 : 16:26:43
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

Hi and welcome
check that the starter kit comes with a stat, if not you will have to get one. Stats are essential

Also a digital thermometer to monitor the temps, something that also dosn't usually come with starter kits.
gmac Posted - 13/08/2010 : 15:37:16
Hi and welcome
check that the starter kit comes with a stat, if not you will have to get one. Stats are essential
Jarvo Posted - 13/08/2010 : 14:16:10
I am now just waiting for my local pet shop to get some hatchlings in as he sells a strarter kit for £80 including a small faunarium that he informs me that will be big enough until the snake is around 9 months old.
Jarvo Posted - 13/08/2010 : 14:12:03
Hi I know what you mean Cody my black lab is waiting for the day that he can have a play with my daughters rabbit that is kept outside, I would be nervous about leaving snakey unsupervised as I have read that they are great escape artist,s
DannyBrown91 Posted - 13/08/2010 : 14:11:51
quote:
Originally posted by Jarvo

Wow that was a quick response thanks for the advice I have read on the net that handling should on be every other day for around 10-15 mins and other sites recommend handling as much as possible apart from shedding and 48hrs after feeding would you recommend handling every day for a hatchling until the snakes confidence is thier.

Its fine to handle every day (accept 48 hours after a feed), just keep them short and sweet for the first couple of weeks. Some hatchlings will be very tolerant of handling from the start but others may be a bit defensive it just depends on the individual snake.
Figs Posted - 13/08/2010 : 14:05:55
Hello and welcome

1) I'd continue with the handling, just until the snake calms down again. You wouldnt want it to laern that biting you means it gets to go home. Once you get them out of the viv/faun they usually seem just fine

2) I have a terrier and he doesnt bother with any of my snakes (he goes absolutely bonkers for gerbils though!). He'll come over for a sniff just to see what i have and just ignore them - the snakes just seem to ignore him too. Needless to say though, never leave your dog with the snakey unsupervised
Jarvo Posted - 13/08/2010 : 14:04:23
Wow that was a quick response thanks for the advice I have read on the net that handling should on be every other day for around 10-15 mins and other sites recommend handling as much as possible apart from shedding and 48hrs after feeding would you recommend handling every day for a hatchling until the snakes confidence is thier.
gingerpony Posted - 13/08/2010 : 13:56:13
heya and welcome

hatchies don't hurt (so i'm told - i've not been tagged in 7 years of keeping) just keep handling sessions short and pleasant for both of you

DannyBrown91 Posted - 13/08/2010 : 13:55:38
Hey, welcome to the forum.

From personal experience, the time you are most likely to get bitten is in the process to getting them out of their faun/viv in order to handle. You just carry on with what you were doing and try to ignore the biting. Bites from hatchlings don't hurt and you would be lucky to see a spec of blood.

My dog is also very inquisitive, but has never bothered with any of my snakes, regardless of wether i have them out or if they're out exploring.

One thing though, if you are getting a hatchling, your best starting out with a small RUB or faunarium

If you have any questions that you think may be commonly asked, just have a little go of the search feature in top right corner. If you don't come up with an answer then just make a thread in the relevant section, or ask in this thread.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000