The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 11/07/2010 : 14:03:19

Hi everyone!
What a great forum, everyone seems so friendly and helpful!
My name's Magi and I'm looking to buy a corn snake(s) over the next few months, haven't decided on what yet as there are so many to choose from!
I've taken notes from here as to what I need but after reading alot of the posts I'm a little unsure which way to go. I had intended on buying a hatchling (maybe 2) but as I have two boys aged 10 & 7 would I be better off buying an older snake?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 15/07/2010 : 12:23:52
I'm going to take your advice and go for an older snake, I had planned on 2 as I thought it would save on any arguing with my boys as to who's snake it is but after talking with them I think, like you said 1 is fine to start with!
I read alot of the posts before I joined here so I know it's a big no no to home them together so don't worry I have no intention of ever doing that. I've been writting down alot of notes from most of the topics on the forum (the 7day guide being one of them) We're doing our research before jumping in feet first, tempting as it has been to run out and buy it all now!

I'm not set on any certain morphs, I'm just going to go with my heart

As for a good reptile shop, there is one in Poole which isn't too far but I have no idea how good they are. I've put off going in incase I fell in love with one while I was there But if anyone knows any in Dorset area I would love to hear from them

Thanks again for all the advice x
Kellog Posted - 15/07/2010 : 04:08:37
Hi Magi....sorry it has taken me a while to say hello....havent been getting on here much recently - but have been getting withdrawal symptoms cos I miss it ! Can I just say how much I love your user name - Ashanti....any connection with Ghana? You have obviously already discovered what a great forum this is, with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship as a bonus . I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know....but it is better heard twice than not at all.

As far as your question about whether to get a hatchling or an older snake....I would suggest that as there are kids involved the older snake might be the way to go, but that is my own personal opinion. When I first got a snake it was cos my 11yr old was interested in them and we found Kellog, who, at the time was 4yrs old. He was a perfect first snake, really easy to handle and never grumpy, big enough that you didnt have to worry about hurting him or squeezing him too tight and used to being out and about enough that he didnt try and whizz off every minute!

Since then I have got Silvesta who is a year younger but came from a bad home where he hadnt been handled very well, so I have had to get him used to me and have treated him in much the same way I would imagine you would a hatchling. I am very glad that I had the confidence of having had Kellog for a while and knowing a bit about what I was doing before taking on Silvesta.

Were it just you alone then I would definitely say that it must be a great experience getting a hatchling and seeing it grow from a shoelace with a head to something the size of my 2....which I have missed out on. But because your boys want to be involved then it is probably better to go with something older, but it is good to know the history of the snake and have a handle of it before you buy it. Both mine were got off PreLoved or GumTree, cant remember which....and each time we went to see them knowing that we would come away if they were not right. Kellog was perfect....and I broke the rule with Silvesta as I just couldnt leave him where he was, but by then I was more experienced.

You say you are thinking of getting two, is this one each for the boys? (I hope you have read up on the dangers of keeping snakes together?) The only reason I ask was could you get one now, an older snake and then, when you felt more experienced and confident, and were happy that the boys were going to stay interested (my son soon lost interest), then you could get a hatchling....just an idea....

As for which one to choose....I know there are some stunning morphs out there, but dont get tunnel visioned by a particular type or types. All to often this means you miss out on some beautiful snakes just because they arent the morph you have set your heart on. My advice, buy the snake you love the look of as soon as you see it....no matter what morph it is!

I know this is early advice for you, but we always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)....no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your snake to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so it can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about your corn not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately a lot of us have found that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! I am sure you have discovered the first place to look - the search button! I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

Again early advice but it is a good idea to get as much info about your snake when you do get it as possible - shedding history, what is has been feeding on, how often, any health issues. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries'....noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You are preparing to start down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx
n/a Posted - 13/07/2010 : 21:57:13
Hi and welcome Im new too and the people really are friendly,as the last message says,a yearling would be better for your children,they are a bit bigger and more robust but not too bitey.Just keep a good eye that your kids dont hold it too tight and crush it
Sta~ple Posted - 13/07/2010 : 18:01:21
Hello and welcome :)

I would personally recommend a yearling (but that's just me :p) most hatchlings can be fast and skittish and can be quite easily dropped because of this. I normally have to hold mine over my bed incase the suddenly move fast and end up falling off my arm! Hatchlings in my experience are more easily kinda spooked, they seem like they are more likely to rattle their tails.

Yearlings are nice size for children, I got a yearling myself when I was a child. They can whizz a bit and be skitty but not as much as hatchlings and even adults can be skittish at times. They also don't move as fast as the babies which makes handling easier. Yearlings are also a nice size to hold for children as they are not too small and they aren't big and heavy like some adults can be. Most yearlings should be fine with being handled as well, specially if bought from a petshop. I found that the first week was a bit scary as I got rattled at but after that it was fine. But of course, it is all down to the snake. However if you go for a yearling you might be more limited to what morphs you can get if you buying from a petshop.

It it helps at all, babies are generally 1ft long and pencil width and yearlings are normally 2-2.5ft.
Sizzlesmum Posted - 13/07/2010 : 13:27:09
Hi Magi and welcome

It is difficult to decide, is there a reputable reptile shop near you? They should let you see both hatchlings and older snakes. That way you can handle them and see how comfortable you feel. We chose Sizzle that way

The forum is great for advice and everyone is very friendly.

Let us know what you decide on .... oh, another thing, snakes are very addictive, one usually leads to another lol
n/a Posted - 13/07/2010 : 09:42:00
Thanks for the warm welcome :D

I'm still left undecided for now so I'm going to read up some more and keep following this forum for some great advice! Thanks again
mikeyd_26 Posted - 12/07/2010 : 23:48:34
Hi n welcome!I got my 1st corn around 10 weeks ago. I got a young 1 as my thinking at the time was the snake will grow as i learn and although im glad i did, it should of beign the other way round! :( But all is good now and every thing is as it should be! thermostat requirement ect...
lee2308 Posted - 12/07/2010 : 16:30:09
hi and welcome to the forum
HannahB Posted - 12/07/2010 : 13:28:11
hey and welcome
Mouse Posted - 12/07/2010 : 13:19:49
hiya, and welcome!!
hiper2009 Posted - 11/07/2010 : 18:17:12
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
crazy JJ Posted - 11/07/2010 : 18:16:32
heya n welcome to the forum :D
CSN Posted - 11/07/2010 : 17:50:28
welcome
herriotfan Posted - 11/07/2010 : 17:22:46
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
mozacchio Posted - 11/07/2010 : 16:28:44
Hello and welcome..!
gmac Posted - 11/07/2010 : 16:27:06
welcome to the forum Magi,
Kehhlyr Posted - 11/07/2010 : 16:04:45
Adults can be grumpy if they haven't had a very good upbringing. And IF they bite.

Most snakes are generally ok though, but the younger ones will be a bit quicker than the adults.
hillzi Posted - 11/07/2010 : 16:00:32
Hi Magi! What I will say is hatchies are more quick and skittish than adults, but adults can be more grumpy and hurt more than a hatchie when they bite, from my own experience I am speaking though and every snake is different.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000