The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 New member - Snake has gone quiet :/

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 09/07/2010 : 08:34:57
I just want to introduce myself before I started posting.

You can probably guess by my user name that my name is Jack and I'm from Dartford! I bought my 1st snake on Wednesday - a butter corn. She's around a year old and I've called her sabre (saber for any Americans!)

When I saw her in the shop she was very lively, tongue flicking all the time and VERY fast (had a little trip up my shirt too!) she didn’t mind being handled. Once I got her home I put her in the setup pictured:

I've seen the thread with your setups and on reflection, mine needs some additions! I will be adding bits this weekend.

As soon as she was in there she started climbing around and exploring - I was quite happy with the way she took to it. But now she seems like a totally different snake, she’s been in her hide (on the cold side) for about 24 hours now, and she hasn't moved. You can see the reflection from her eye on the left in the picture, she is hiding but always looking out to the doors of the viv. I checked on her in the night too and she was still in the same place.

My question is this: Is this normal behaviour for a snake in a new environment? I haven’t tried to handle her or bother her at all (I’m following the 7 day rule) all I've been doing is changing the water. Do you see anything wrong with my setup that might be making her feel uncomfortable?

Cheers!
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 13/07/2010 : 22:07:40
Hi welcome your jammy getting a butter as your first snake I hope to have one coming at the weekend after ages of trying to find one down this way
Mouse Posted - 12/07/2010 : 13:21:46
hiya and welcome!!
hiper2009 Posted - 11/07/2010 : 18:19:16
Hi
Welcome to the forum. Very nice set up
n/a Posted - 11/07/2010 : 12:26:59
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I went shopping yesterday and got some more bits for Sabre's viv, its looks like this now:

I'm sure it will make her feel more secure now it doesn’t feel so empty!

I caught her out and about last night and she seems less nervous when I change her water. On Wednesday I would have had her for a week, if she seems ok, I'll handle her for the first time then and maybe try to get some pics to put up.
n/a Posted - 11/07/2010 : 09:26:05
hello! welcome cant wait for the pics.
kdlang Posted - 10/07/2010 : 22:56:20
hi and welcome to the forum. can't wait to see pics
Sta~ple Posted - 10/07/2010 : 13:33:54
Hello and welcome here!
crazy JJ Posted - 09/07/2010 : 23:15:16
heya n welcome to the forum
HannahB Posted - 09/07/2010 : 18:50:06
hey and welcome
butters are gorgeous
n/a Posted - 09/07/2010 : 10:06:11
Wow, thanks for the reply Kellog!

I have a book at the ready for a "snake log" I wanted to keep one so I could moitor her growth and if anything is ever wrong with her, I have a log of feedings etc.

But thanks again!

I cant wait to get some pics put up, shes stunning!
Kellog Posted - 09/07/2010 : 09:46:22
Hi Jack, it is really good that you have joined us! You have obviously already been browsing and seen what a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support, the bonus is lots of fun and friendship .

If you havent read these already, then the best place to look for new snake owners is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm and this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

I am so pleased you are following the one-week rule. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your Sabre to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

You'll find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately a lot of us have found that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! I am not sure whether you have discovered it yet, but the first place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button....type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

You have been given great advice by Kehhlyr (unsurprisingly ). He is right in what he says about the dial thermometers. I had them when I got my first corn with its viv and realised how inaccurate they were when I then got a digital thermometer. For one thing they are measuring the ambient temp when really you need to know the temp at substrate level so you can monitor the heatmat. Do you have a stat with your heatmat? A lot of us use these thermometers from ebay, cheap and come quick and work well - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230467620317#ht_2935wt_946

I am not sure if you have thought of doing this with Sabre, but I keep my own 'Snake Diaries'....noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

I cant wait to see pics of Sabre when the time is right, I do like butter corns. This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx
herriotfan Posted - 09/07/2010 : 09:40:10
Hi
Welcome to the forum. A butter eh....lucky you!!!
Kehhlyr Posted - 09/07/2010 : 09:17:56
quote:
Originally posted by Dartford-Jack

When she finally comes out I'll get some photos up.

And so you should!
n/a Posted - 09/07/2010 : 09:09:32
I've got 2 hides, well 3 because she can hide behind the bit of bark in the middle. I'm going to get more bits to fill the viv to make it feel smaller and more comforting for her.

Thanks for the help!

When she finally comes out I'll get some photos up.
Kehhlyr Posted - 09/07/2010 : 09:02:41
In that case it's not overly large for the snake, but might be worth sticking some more hidey places in there, in fact on closer inspection it's hard to tell how many hides you have, looks like 1.
More hides is highly recommended, I use anything that the snakes will go inside to be honest, toilet roll tubes are a forum fave. I use pringles tubes, tissues boxes, flower pots and other similar stuff.
n/a Posted - 09/07/2010 : 08:58:43
Thats good to know! Thanks.

Yeah I noticed the digi thermometers when looking at the other setups, thats another purchase that I'm going to make at the weekend.

The snake is the same length as the front of the viv which just under 2 foot (i think)
Kehhlyr Posted - 09/07/2010 : 08:54:39
Totally normal behavior.
Instinct will be to have a good nosy round and find somewhere to escape and/or somewhere to hide.
Seeing as she couldn't escape she's had to find somewhere to hide.

The only thing I would suggest is to ignore the dial thermometer, it's nothing more than a decoration and get a digi one.
Also, roughly how long is the snake and the viv??

/ninj edit
The reason I ask about the viv size is because snakie looks quite small and some (most) snakes can get quite defensive if they're in to big a space when small, that'll also scare them.

Dunelm mill, The range, or any other home decoration shop normally will sell fake ivys and similar nice and cheap, bung some of those in there as well if you want.

And Welcome to the Forum.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000