The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hi,

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Callazagy Posted - 23/06/2010 : 22:09:55
Hi im Chris, me and my sister have just got our first snake today.
We think he's a male and called him Arthas. He is a Carolina, one of his parents is a snow, you can see some of the white colouration on the pics below. He is 2 month old. He has already been exploring this evening, he has spent most of the time climbing up the plant.
I spent quite a bit of time reasearching reptiles and eventually decided on a corn, so ive looked at a number of care sheets and this forum and I think ive got the set-up correct, ive only just read about the recomended 1 week no-handling period so ill stop bugging him now.
anyway to everyones favourite bit the pics-

The set up, luxury accomodation, heated area to the right, 3 hides, and branches and plant to climb up.

I look foward to seeing him grow and handling him some more, I can tell already he won't be the last reptile I get.

We also have a cat (Casper) and a dog (Barney).

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Callazagy Posted - 01/07/2010 : 12:04:52
It gets to around 29c and switches of and then it drops back down to room temp and just doesn't turn back on, I left it going over night and it obviously hadn't turned back on because it was still at room temp.
So im going to send it back and try to get a refund, Ive found the pulse one fairly cheap elsewhere so ill order that now, so I hopefully get it tommorow.
Kellog Posted - 01/07/2010 : 03:05:52
I know you are now measuring your temps with a digital thermometer Chris....what readings were you getting while you were using the microclimate stat? What temp was it getting to before switching off and did it literally not turn back on? I did the same thing as you, and mine would turn off at the correct time but didnt switch on until the temp had dropped over 5oC, which was too much of a drop for my liking. So I did change to the Habistat pulse and am much happier. But I do know that others use the microclimate without a problem and without such a major temp swing....so maybe the stat I had was faulty.

I will echo Gmac's question, how long have you let it run for? It does take a while for you to see a pattern in what is happening.

xxx
gmac Posted - 01/07/2010 : 00:05:53
what temp is it turning back on at, ive got 4 microclimates and all work fine. what are you using to measure these temps and how long did you leave it running for?
Callazagy Posted - 30/06/2010 : 23:32:45
I shoudn't have gone for the cheap option, ive read the posts on faulty microclimate thermostats, and mine doesn't work at all, it turns of at the correct temp but doesn't turn back on. Useless piece of crap, I was doing a better job.
Ill see what its like tommorow, but I think ill have to return it and get the recomended Habistat Pulse.
CoN Posted - 30/06/2010 : 17:27:02
Hi and welcome, Arthas is a beaut!
Callazagy Posted - 30/06/2010 : 10:55:52
Well the stat has just arrived, so ive set it up and ill have a play around to get the temps right today. It isn't that hot in my room today for some reason, I did have the mat off but it was far to cold.

Edit-
Pics posted in the photo section.
Updated pic of his viv below, more places to hide now, and a digi thermometer and finally a thermostat.
hillzi Posted - 30/06/2010 : 10:50:02
In this heat mate I'd just turn the mat off.

Callazagy Posted - 29/06/2010 : 22:21:36
Finally the stat has been posted, should get it in a day or 2, then I can stop being a useless human thermostat.
Sizzlesmum Posted - 29/06/2010 : 19:24:20
Hi and welcome

Arthas is gorgeous and look forward to seeing more pics of him.
Callazagy Posted - 29/06/2010 : 12:54:45
I don't know when my stat is due to come, the status has been awaiting dispatch since friday, I would have been better off trying to get my friend at the pet shop to sell me one, lol.

The hands-off period ends tommorow, so we will get some decent photos, handle him for a bit, and then see if he will eat.
Kellog Posted - 29/06/2010 : 02:39:49
quote:
Originally posted by Callazagy

Glad I ordered that stuff, I desperately need that thermostat to come, cos the new digital thermometer read in the high 30's for the hot end, so ive been turning the mat on and off to keep it around 30. Its very hard to leave him alone, especially when I keep thinking he's escaped, he spends most of the time burried deep in the substrate at the cool end.

I am so relieved that you have got the digital thermometer in now Chris and will be even more relieved when you have the stat as well....it really does prove to you how useless (and dangerous ) the advice from some of these pet shops can be. I am just so glad you found us and are getting things right for Arthas.

Ideally you could do with getting the temp to below 30oC....although I realise how difficult it must be for you to be maintaining any sort of constant heat at the moment. 27 - 29oC is really what you are looking for, bang in the middle being perfect. When should your stat arrive?

Welcome to the world of corn snake keeping - the constant horror of them having escaped when you look in their viv and there is no sign of them !! We have had a couple of forum members whose corns have 'escaped', only to be found after a frantic search buried in the substrate or curled up very small in a hole in a piece of wood . Arthas isnt stupid and will be trying to thermoregulate and escape the heat which is why he is spending his time burrowed in the cool end. Clever snake !

If my workings our are correct you only have a couple more days to wait before you can get on with the real 'corn-keeping' , rather than this frustrating hands-off period! Your time is coming ....

xxx
Callazagy Posted - 28/06/2010 : 14:55:30
Glad I ordered that stuff, I desperately need that thermostat to come, cos the new digital thermometer read in the high 30's for the hot end, so ive been turning the mat on and off to keep it around 30. Its very hard to leave him alone, especially when I keep thinking he's escaped, he spends most of the time burried deep in the substrate at the cool end.
hiper2009 Posted - 28/06/2010 : 11:12:25
Hey and welcome to the forum
Kellog Posted - 28/06/2010 : 03:08:09
Sorry, been missing for a few days Chris but it looks like you have got all the help you needed and are doing what is important to make sure Arthas is looked after properly....which is what we like to see !

I see you have come across the sort of pet shop I mentioned !! Mine was the same about not needing a stat and unfortunately my OH takes everything they say as gospel, but I won in the end....well, actually I went behind his back and just ordered what I needed ....but I knew I was in the right!! And he was just happy that I stopped nagging him about getting one . It is why I always double check everything I am told on here, I dont trust anything they say .

Not long now til that week is up and you can start handling again!! I bet you have been sitting on your hands itching to get him out of his tank !

It really is good having a member who is so receptive to advice and who so obviously cares for their snake....the sad thing is that their are so many poor snakes out there who dont have owners like you.

xxx
Callazagy Posted - 24/06/2010 : 17:45:00
Ok, thanks ill order one now
gmac Posted - 24/06/2010 : 17:39:51
ministat with the mat is fine. and looks like your mat i big enough to cover at least 1/3 of the base so all good. you may need to faff about with the stat getting the temps correct as the dial on our stat is not 100% accurate, so use your thermometer to set the correct temps.
Callazagy Posted - 24/06/2010 : 17:37:08
Ive just bought some more plants, a plastic rock thing, and a dual probe digital thermometer off ebay.
http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/microclimate-thermostat.html will the Ministat 100w at £17 (the cheapest ive found) be good enough, I have a Algarde 11x11 heat mat (14watt).
Mouse Posted - 24/06/2010 : 17:25:06
Welcome to the forum!! :D SO CUTE!

(Hillzi, I've found maintaining my wooden one is harder! :D just what you're used to I guess!!! )
hillzi Posted - 24/06/2010 : 15:32:55
Hi mate, looking good.

I don't like glass vivs as IMO/IME I've found out theyr'e utter rubbish at maintaining tempretures...

I would pack the viv out with more greenery, see www.dunelmill.co.uk for some fantastic but cheapy plastic vines and plastic plants.

I dont bother with polystrine.

I'd also type in eBay Digital Aquarium Thermometer for some, even though they cost a few quid each, they are worth it, being more accurate than the strips.

welcome to the forum too.

KITTYCAT Posted - 24/06/2010 : 15:09:12
hi welcome to the forum

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000