The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hi im new and might be getting a snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 14/06/2010 : 17:06:28
Hi im new to keeing snakes and i migt begetting one. I have to get rid of my cat since he is too aggressive to my doberman tia and im selling the snails for the vivarium. The snake i want is a healthy femae snake andi dnt know much about the snakes. I need some help like what shouldbe in the bottom of the vivarium what things i need. Do frozen mice or rats (rodents ) cost much?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
KITTYCAT Posted - 21/06/2010 : 16:44:10
Hi welcome tot he forum
n/a Posted - 20/06/2010 : 19:26:27
ok thanks :)
n/a Posted - 17/06/2010 : 18:57:37
u know u can make hides from plastic tubs and toilet rolls. if u want to get branches for the snake to climb there are ways of making it yourself if u search u should be able to find it
n/a Posted - 17/06/2010 : 17:30:57
Yes i am quite sad but happy he will get a newhome he was a kitten now a few years old... no one wants a cat they all want kittens :( wonder if some one on hre would want hi lol? going to my nanas tommorow and im making some stuff for snakie like a hide. What else should i make? (she is a potterist thing and artist well paintys)
Kellog Posted - 17/06/2010 : 03:06:32
quote:
Originally posted by SugarAndSpiceIsSoNice

Its a no :( wats a themostat i though you just need heat mt and a heat tingy that shows what temp itis. are exo terra vivsgood? theres a 30x30x30 and another on could you tell me a goodsize viv for an adult so i am preperd. Simon wants Coca so hes going to tell me.... i really want him to go to a good home (i live near simon so ifhe comes back he can come to pick him up.)

Oh Claudia, I am sorry that the answer is no....but you are still talking as though you are getting a snake? Do you hope that they will change their minds?

You need a heatmat, then a thermostat which will control what heat the heatmat gets to and a digital thermometer that will show you what the heat is inside the viv. Unfortunately you are sometimes told that you dont need the thermostat, but it is very important that you have one as heatmats can get so hot that they burn your snake.

I am afraid that I have never used any of the exoterra vivs but I think other members have. You cant be sure what size an adult would need as they grow to different lengths, but some will be perfectly fine in a viv 36 x 18 Length x Width but some would do much better in a 48 x 18. Obviously you cannot put a hatchling or young snake straight into a viv that size, but need to work up slowly until your snake is big enough to cope with a big viv.

I am glad you have found a home for your cat....I hope that it is a good home. Are you sad to see him go? Was he your kitten? How old is he now?

xxx
hiper2009 Posted - 16/06/2010 : 16:41:44
Hello and welcome to the forum.
n/a Posted - 16/06/2010 : 16:05:03
Its a no :( wats a themostat i though you just need heat mt and a heat tingy that shows what temp itis. are exo terra vivsgood? theres a 30x30x30 and another on could you tell me a goodsize viv for an adult so i am preperd. Simon wants Coca so hes going to tell me.... i really want him to go to a good home (i live near simon so ifhe comes back he can come to pick him up.)
Kellog Posted - 16/06/2010 : 02:56:01
quote:
Originally posted by SugarAndSpiceIsSoNice

Aww thanks :) i know i usually get so excited about the pets! Im paying for all of the snakes needs it tuerns out i have £60.00 to spend on snakie! Acomb pets is a good pet store isnt it? my mum and i always go there. i was just wondering i always have a shower/bath on friday night and since you can sort of tame a snake by handeling it. once im in my pjs can i let me snake go on my sholders or will it go for my neck and strangle me? cant wait for snakie to come! If wiki can have my cat then i will hve to give it to some one i dont know...

I am not sure whether £60 is enough for everything you need Claudia, when you add together everything you need. Look at this thread as it shows you everything you will need to buy to get the right set-up for your snake and then you can ring around or look on 888 reptiles to see approximately what sort of cost you are looking at. http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878 Of course, this doesnt include the cost of the snake itself. I know that just my thermostat cost £46....and that is something that you need to have and it must be a good one. You could look on sites like Pre-loved for snakes that are for sale with their full set-up (although you would need to make sure it had everything you needed). Of course that wouldnt include the hatchling you want but will give you an idea of what you might be paying for a hatchling. http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-adverts.listadverts/86aa5dc1.html

I have never heard of Acomb Pets....where is it? We may have members close by who know it. Unfortunately often pet shops look good but there knowledge about reptiles (even Reptile Shops) is not good. May be worth going in and having a chat, asking how much a starter kit would cost and what was included. Then you would have some idea of what sort of money you need and if they say you dont need a thermostat then you will also know that they dont know much about keeping reptiles.

I am afraid that you can never tame a snake like you can a cat or dog. It is a case of the snake gets used to you handling it but really will come out of its viv just to be able to get out and have some fun exploring. Once your hatchling is a lot older it can explore around your body and both my adults cling around my neck while I walk around doing things....neither of them try to strangle me, they just hold on tight enough not to fall off! What is more important when your hatchling gets bigger is the time it spends exploring, rather than the time it spends being 'cuddled' by you.

You would need to handle your snake every day, some do it twice a day (except for the 2 days that you leave them alone after they have eaten)....so it isnt a case of just waiting until you have had your bath on a Friday !

Do you know when you will find out if your friend can take Wiki or not? Have your parents talked about it and given you a definite yes or no?

xxx
n/a Posted - 15/06/2010 : 22:00:14
Aww thanks :) i know i usually get so excited about the pets! Im paying for all of the snakes needs it tuerns out i have £60.00 to spend on snakie! Acomb pets is a good pet store isnt it? my mum and i always go there. i was just wondering i always have a shower/bath on friday night and since you can sort of tame a snake by handeling it. once im in my pjs can i let me snake go on my sholders or will it go for my neck and strangle me? cant wait for snakie to come! If wiki can have my cat then i will hve to give it to some one i dont know...
Kellog Posted - 15/06/2010 : 18:56:07
Hi Claudia, it is really good that you are trying to find out as much information about having a snake before you get it....and you have come to the right place ! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support.

You are very young and to be wanting a snake so much that you are on a forum asking questions is great....but it also shows how much you have to learn. You need to think about the fact that the snake you get is going to be your pet, your responsibility, for the next 10 years....changing its water and spot cleaning every day, handling most days, full cleaning of the viv about every month, feeding when its needed. You also need to think about how much it is going to cost and who is going to pay for it....you need to look at the cost of things like heatmats, thermostats, digital thermometer, hides etc. There is a lot of work and expense involved....so this is not a pet to take on without knowing what you are doing.

This site and forum provides great information. I am glad that you have read through the care sheet, it really does give you the best information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

As far as cost is concerned a lot of forum members use 888 reptiles (http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/)....there are other places to get stuff cheaper like ebay, but if you look at the website it will give you some idea of what sort of money you will need. It shows you things from the cost of snakes, the cost of the set-up and the cost of mice.

As Danny has said you wont be able to buy an egg....they need to be kept in very controlled conditions and not moved. But the fact that you have asked this and asked if the snake will think you are its mum shows how much you have to learn. You can never tame a snake in the same way that you can tame a cat or dog. The snake will get used to you handling it, but that is all.

I am not sure about how young you can buy a hatchling from, but you do need to make sure that it is shedding and feeding properly before you buy it as there can sometimes be problems with little ones. It may be an idea to get an older snake that you know eats and sheds well so you dont have to worry about that.

You will find that there is a large amount of information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc....and that a lot of it is different. Even on here you will find that people have different views on some things.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately a lot of us have found that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better that you ask it and get the answer you need. Danny has mentioned the first place to look - in the top right hand corner of the screen is the search button....type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, but it is worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

I am glad that you have talked to your dad about this because they both need to be happy about it. If you have been wanting a snake for 2 years and your parents know this then I do hope they say yet, but unfortunately you have to prepare yourself for the fact that they say no....and if they do it will not be because they want to spoil your fun but because they dont think it is the best time for you to get your snake....and that is something that you will just have to accept.

I do hope your friend can take your cat....but dont get too excited yet as your friend's parents still need to agree.

I do hope you are able to learn everything you need to and can show your parents how much you want this snake. They are wonderful animals to have....to watch them grow from little hatchlings to full grown snakes and to get them to accept you so that you can enjoy handling them.

Sorry I have talked way too much to you ....it is just lovely to see someone so young who wants to learn and wants to enjoy the corn snake love that we all have.

xxx
n/a Posted - 15/06/2010 : 18:46:52
I have read the carsheet and very happy as i have found a home for my cat Wiki my friend if she is aloud... I have told my dad all the facts done everything and he said he will have a talk with mum..... hope i get a snake i always wanted one for two years! do you know how old the hatchlings would be?
DannyBrown91 Posted - 15/06/2010 : 18:13:50
Welcome to the forum.

I highly doubt you would be able to buy an egg from somebody as it would need to be incubated and you may not know for sure what is going to be in there or wether it would even hatch.

You can however buy hatchlings which are just weeks/months old.

Bedding isn't very expensive.

Have you had a read through the care sheet? You will probably have a few questions, if so try using the search function on the top right corner as what you want to know has likely already been asked before. If you don't find what you are looking for then just start your own thread in the relevant section.

I would also make sure your dad is going to be fine with having a snake in the house, wether it would be kept in your bedroom or not.
n/a Posted - 15/06/2010 : 16:40:23
Thanks :) My mums ok but my dad has an aphobia of snaes but it will be in my room. Are the beeding expensive te aspen? also isit better to get it as a egg o from a store? If you wat6ch it hatc will it think your its mum?
lee2308 Posted - 15/06/2010 : 15:16:47
hi and welcome to the forum
Mouse Posted - 15/06/2010 : 08:54:50
Hiya and welcome to the forum!! :D

crazy JJ Posted - 15/06/2010 : 00:04:40
heya n welcome to the forum :D
Kehhlyr Posted - 14/06/2010 : 23:04:55
And make sure your parents will be ok with the dead and frozen mice in the freezer as well.
gmac Posted - 14/06/2010 : 23:04:46
hi and welcome to the forum
hillzi Posted - 14/06/2010 : 21:15:52
Hello.

On the floor of the viv can be newspaper, beech chippings or aspen.
stotty01 Posted - 14/06/2010 : 19:32:23
rats and mice are somtimes free if you tbuy the wholes set up, snake tanks thermostat etc

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000