The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hi

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
durhamcorn Posted - 13/06/2010 : 20:14:19
Hello to you all.
ive just been getting my first snake 10 days ago, and I LOVE her, shes a hypo Motley, and Ive called her "Hollie" as she was born in December.
Shes had her feed, no bother, also Ive had her out three times without any problems, my five year old son loves her too.
I hope I get to chat to some of you soon
Gary
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hiper2009 Posted - 28/06/2010 : 11:10:30
Hey and welcome to the forum
HannahB Posted - 14/06/2010 : 17:46:25
hey and welcome
Mouse Posted - 14/06/2010 : 10:55:19
hiya and welcome!
Sta~ple Posted - 14/06/2010 : 10:28:33
Hello and welcome here
Kellog Posted - 14/06/2010 : 02:23:15
Hi Gary and Hollie, its great you have joined us! You'll find this is an excellent forum to get advice and support, from lots of experienced owners who are happy to share it. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know....but it is better heard twice than not at all.

Am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

We always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!) and by the sounds of it this was not mentioned to you as you have already handled and fed Hollie. What you should have been advised is to not handle or feed for the first week to allow Hollie to get over the stress of the move and for her to get used to the new smells and her new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so she can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about her not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops (as you have discovered) but it is an important way of getting Hollie to de-stress and feel safe with you. Even though you have already fed and handled Hollie it may be worthwhile starting that week from now, just to give her a chance and ensure that she is happily settled. It is a hard week, very frustrating (especially for you as you know what you are missing having already handled her), but worth it for Hollie's sake.

You'll find there's a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately a lot of us have found that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button....type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

I am not sure if you have thought of doing this, but I keep my own 'Snake Diaries'....noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

It is amazing how much you can feel for a little slithery snake, and Hollie has definitely captured your heart ....you have definitely found the right place to chat with others who know that corn-love! A lot of us have family and friends who dont understand that love and see it more as a corn-craziness ....so being on here and being able to share with like-minded people is a life saver ! It is great that your son loves her too. I bet his friends will as well and will soon want their own snake....you will be getting phone calls from irate parents who dont want a snake in their house (been there, had that )!!

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx
crazy JJ Posted - 14/06/2010 : 00:13:03
hiya n welcome to the forum :D
mozacchio Posted - 13/06/2010 : 22:04:29
Hello and welcome to the forum..!
Figs Posted - 13/06/2010 : 20:46:56
Hello and welcome to you and Hollie
dont forget to post pictures when you can!
herriotfan Posted - 13/06/2010 : 20:39:33
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
n/a Posted - 13/06/2010 : 20:34:06
welcome to the forum, lookin forward to pics :D
gmac Posted - 13/06/2010 : 20:17:47
hiya and welcome to the forum

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000