The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Hi Everyone!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Starmist Posted - 08/06/2010 : 21:12:58
Hello everyone!
Thought i'd make a post to say hi to you all!
Seems like a very friendly group of people! I shall be uploading some
pics either tonight or tomorrow as i've just got my first corn snake
and am having some trouble figuring out what type it actually is!
Help would be gratefully appreciated!

Hannah
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Starmist Posted - 13/06/2010 : 16:33:20
Thanks! That was really helpful information! Hopefully today we will try the damp cloth trick again, but have just brought a new hide with moss in it! So hopefully this will help him a bit more! As for the name.. The name is starting to stick a little bit, but think it will have a name soon!

Hannah xxx
Kellog Posted - 10/06/2010 : 02:22:09
Hi Hannah, it is really good that you have joined us! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You have already seen what a friendly lot we are and we have lots of fun on here as well !! I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know....but it is better heard twice than not at all.

Am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

I know you have some retained shed issues with him and also that he has just been fed, so needs to be left alone for 48hrs after eating....but once you have dealt with the retained shed it would be good to leave 'Snakey' for a week to settle in. We always suggest you follow this one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)....no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your snake to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so it can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about your corn not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

Obviously you cant do this until you have dealt with the retained shed (which cant be done until after it has digested its meal)....and it will be even more important to do it as just by handling it to remove the retained shed will stress it out a lot. I havent read fully your picture post to know the details or the advice given, so sorry if I am repeating info already said , as soon as I saw the fact that 'Snakey' had retained shed and eaten I wanted to return to my welcome post and try to help . The first thing to do when your snake has retained shed is try not to panic. Dampen some kitchen paper or a small towel with luke warm water and let your snake wriggle through it, holding firmly so that the skin comes off. Take care as to make sure that the tip of the tail also comes off with the shed, after running through it a couple of times the skin should have come off. If so then check the head piece to make sure the eye caps have come off.
Quite often most shed can come off by themselves, another couple of days in the viv could sort it out. You could swap the usual hides for damp ones (or put moss in 'Snakey's usual hides) so it HAS to use them, then put the usual hides back in (or remove moss) after a few days....if the retained shed has been resolved that's great, if not then the few days in the damp hides will have prepared him for a good bath.
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3699
The bath can be done in a RUB, sink, washing bowl, bath whatever is a good size. Put a digital thermometer in it to make sure that the water is between 27 and 28 degrees. It should be deep enough that its belly can touch the floor in case it wants to rest. Let it swim in it for a couple of minutes or untill the temps drop to around 22 degrees. You can run your fingers gently down 'Snakey's' body when its having a bath just to make sure that the waters are really getting at the retained shed. The water should have helped to loosen and dislodge the skin. It will have no desire to be in the water, and will try to escape as much as possible, so be prepared for a fast snake as well. When you get 'Snakey' out get a dry towel and let it wriggle through it but apply a bit of pressure to it - it usually helps to encourage the retained shed come off....

To help it out next time it sheds, once you see it go 'blue' (as in its eyes going cloudy and its scales dull) you can add an extra water bowl into its viv on top of the heat mat. Dont just move the original water bowl as 'Snakey' will not want to be drinking warm water. This will help raise the humidity, but will only work in wooden vivs. In faunariums there is too much ventilation so the extra humidity is lost.

I also mist my snakes' vivs once a day in the morning, nothing more than that as you dont want to cause the humidity to rise too much as this can cause respiratory infections.

Once its eyes have cleared you can add a damp hide which will also help. In a wooden viv you can put the moss in the warm hide but in a faunarium you would need to put it in both hides to help him loosen his skin. (Or, again, you can add moss to 'Snakey's' usual hides rather than put in new ones)

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately a lot of us have found that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button....type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

I am not sure if you have thought of doing this with 'Snakey', but I keep my own 'Snake Diaries'....noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Going by the fact you have a fantastic sig I will assume you have worked out how to put up pics. I cant wait to see some proper ones of 'Snakey' (are you tempted to keep the name?? I love it ). I am terrible at morphs and usually dont even attempt to guess what one is, but looking at the pic in your sig I do wonder whether it is an anery....like my Silvesta, or an anery motley. Whatever it is, it is stunning - and a wonderful pic, perfect to use for your sig.

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx
n/a Posted - 09/06/2010 : 18:36:26
Hiya and welcome to the forum Hannah
Sta~ple Posted - 09/06/2010 : 15:10:13
Hello :)
Figs Posted - 09/06/2010 : 14:49:39
hello and welcome!
its lovely to meet you - cant wait to meet your snakey!
herriotfan Posted - 09/06/2010 : 10:03:53
Hi
Welcome to the forum. Look forward to seeing the photos.
Mouse Posted - 09/06/2010 : 09:58:35
hiya and welcome!!!
crazy JJ Posted - 09/06/2010 : 00:16:51
heya n welcome to the forum :D
DannyBrown91 Posted - 08/06/2010 : 23:57:33
Welcome to the forum Hannah.

Im sure you'll find this forum a great help with your first corn, i know i certainly did
LittleMick Posted - 08/06/2010 : 23:23:46
Welcome to the forum Hannah, look forward to some snaps.
lee2308 Posted - 08/06/2010 : 22:09:59
hi and welcome to the forum
Starmist Posted - 08/06/2010 : 21:43:23
Think pics will be tomorrow as he is hiding himself from public eyes tonight! Lol. Also he is still unamed! So it will be him for a short time although it is possibly a girl!
HannahB Posted - 08/06/2010 : 21:22:28
hello hannah from another hannah
look forwards to seeing some pice - im sure we will be able to help you identify yours
mozacchio Posted - 08/06/2010 : 21:16:21
Hello and welcome to the forum..!
It's veeeery nice in here!
You are gonna love it..!
Pics pics pics!
gmac Posted - 08/06/2010 : 21:14:46
Hi and welcome

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000