The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 First Question :) First Feed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ashma Posted - 01/06/2010 : 13:35:54
Howdy guys,

First 'new owner' question to throw out there.
I bought my first corn Theo last week. I'm letting him settle in and will have had him a week this Wednesday. I've been in touch with the woman who sold him to me and she informs me that he is due his weekly feed today.

Now, as I've been reading the forums like a bible for the past week or so, I hear it thrown around that I shouldn't feed in the first week, as the little guy is still settling, but I am a notorious worrier

Guys. Suggestions please? Feed in the usual pattern? Or wait a while until he is fully settled?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ashma Posted - 01/06/2010 : 14:40:06
Hmmm.

I'm thinking I will try the feed outside of he Faun, as like you say, I have a perfectly good RUB right there.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to feed him in the faun, but if I can minimise any risk then I know which I'd rather do!

Pictures will be up by the end of the week

Thanks again guys!
Kellog Posted - 01/06/2010 : 14:33:53
quote:
Originally posted by Ashma

Thanks for the quick reply guys!!

I've decided I'm going to leave him a couple of extra days before his first feed. For two reasons;

1) Its going to be better for him to settle in
2) I get to handle him tomorrow, and I couldn't wait another 48hours!

Kellog. This is something else I've been pondering. I have aspen bedding in the faun, so I was a bit worried about ingestion, but the pet shop owner suggested placing the pinkie on a piece of kitchen role and feeding in the faun.

But I do have a RUB on standby. What are your thoughts?

I somehow doubted you would be able to go without getting a chance to handle him first .

I know some forum members do feed their snakes in their fauns/vivs and at the end of the day it must be down to your own personal choice....but my opinion is that your snake could easily pull the pinkie off the kitchen roll while it is eating and onto the aspen, so is it worth the risk, especially if you do have a RUB on standby?

It has been discussed at the bottom of this topic as well, so have a read and see what you think - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9876

xxx
Ashma Posted - 01/06/2010 : 14:23:32
Thanks for the quick reply guys!!

I've decided I'm going to leave him a couple of extra days before his first feed. For two reasons;

1) Its going to be better for him to settle in
2) I get to handle him tomorrow, and I couldn't wait another 48hours!

Kellog. This is something else I've been pondering. I have aspen bedding in the faun, so I was a bit worried about ingestion, but the pet shop owner suggested placing the pinkie on a piece of kitchen role and feeding in the faun.

But I do have a RUB on standby. What are your thoughts?
Kellog Posted - 01/06/2010 : 14:17:13
Definitely agree with what has been said (and done worry about being a notorious worrier....a lot of us are ).

It is must better to leave him for the full week so that he has properly settled in than cut that week short by feeding him early and maybe risk a regurge if he hasnt totally got over the stress yet (worse case scenario of course).

I know you probably dont need reminding of this....but no handling for 48hrs after the feed....so more waiting before you can get your hands on him, sorry!

Are you planning on feeding him in his faun or outside it in a RUB? Let us know how it goes.

xxx
elament Posted - 01/06/2010 : 14:06:32
I would wait a week to let him settle in. A few extra days wont do any harm one of my snakes just went four months without eating (hormonal) and my other one Xena went seven months without so a few days wont do theo any harm and much better to let him settle in first

cheers

steve
Sta~ple Posted - 01/06/2010 : 13:57:14
I would try feeding him Wednesday but that's just me I'm not sure what other people do. 2 more day's isn't going to hurt him :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000