The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Care Sheet writing Competiton

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kazerella Posted - 12/05/2010 : 16:38:01
My friend is a Primary School teacher and has asked us to judge the care sheet writing competiton she is running with her class. Below are 5 care sheets written by primary school children for a project entitled 'Rumble in the Jungle'.

Please read through the care sheets and vote for which one you think is the best. The winner will be receiving a prize from me and Lewy, so it's important to read all sheets before making your decision. Thanks

------------------------------------------------
The best Corn Snake Caresheet

------------------------------------------------

Cornsnake Care Sheet 1

Where do they come from?
Corn snakes originate from Central and eastern America. In America, the corn snakes habitats are: pine forests, grasslands, rocky outcrops and grain stores! They also like to climb trees and hide behind things.

What type of place do they need to live in?
They need to live in a 1 foot long cage called a vivarium. There cage will need saw dust/straw to lay on and rock and branches to climb on.

Light
The corn snakes need lights to re-inact there real environment. (it is best to put the lights on when it is bright outside, and when it’s dim outside to turn the lights off!

Heat
They need a cage temperature around 21°C- 35°, because there cold blooded animals and get most of there heat from the sun.

Moisture
The snakes will need a new bowl of water daily, there is no set amount of moisture whats supposed to be sprayed in!

What do they eat?
When its a baby the corn snakes eat baby mice but when they are older they eat full grown size mice!

Do they like to be stroked?
They needed too be handled 3-4 time a week for about 15mins, because it gives them a change from the cage.

Did you know?
Did you know the size of the mouth is the same size as a full grown rat!

Do you think your up to the challenge of keeping corn snakes?

Cornsnake Care Sheet 2

Where do they come from?
Corn snakes are non-indigenous to Britain. They come from Eastern and Central America. Their habitat is Pine forests, rocky out-crops and hills.

Corn snakes need to live in vivariums. With lots of things such as rocky, branches and plants when they are in captivity. They need to be checked on everyday. Change substrate in the base every 3-5 weeks. If the water has any poo in it it needs refreshing.

Light
Corn snakes need light but not 24 hours a day! If your snake has light permanently he may get stressed and have problems.

Heat
Corn Snakes are cold blooded and take heat from their surroundings. You will need a spot light that is heated or a heated blanket covering a 1/3 of the floor.

Moisture
Your corn snake doesn’t require moisture in the air like some animals but sometimes they may benefit from it because it can help them shed their skin.

What do they eat?
In the wild corn snakes would hang around corn storages and eat rodents that ate the corn. When you feed them in captivity they will need mice. Young snakes will need a pink mouse every 1-6 days but an adult will need a large mouse every 7-14 days.

Corn snakes don’t mind being touched and played with but you shouldn’t play with it after a meal because it will make it gurgitate.

Did you know?
Corn snakes scientific name is Elaphe guttatta guttatta!

Cornsnake Care Sheet 3

Where do they come from?
The corn snakes live in Central and Eastern America. This is where they would usually be found.

In the wild they would usually live in pine forests, outcrops and many more places. If you keep them in captivity for pets they need to be kept in vivarium (vivs) at a certain temperature.

Light
The exotic non-indigenous corn snakes do need light but not constant light 24/7 only at daytime. You need to have a place where its shady if not they get stressed.

Heat
Because they have a thermostat in the cage. The corn snakes are cold blooded so they get most of there heat or warmth from there environment (thermostat) but every now and again give them a spray of water but not too much.

Moisture
As I started to tell you earlier you need to give them a spray of water now and again but not too much because it will be too humide and have chest infection called an r i infection.

What do they eat?
Hope your not squeamish for this next part because they eat dead mice and you have to store them in your freezer and it depends on how big there mouths are to feed them different size mice.

They don’t like being handled only when you handle them alot they will get use to you and they will let you handle them alot.

Did you know?
That all snakes are cold blooded and since the year 2000 all different exotic animals have been rescued.

Hope you have found out all you need.

Cornsnake Care Sheet 4

Where do they come from?
Corn snakes come from USA, Central and east America.

They need a vivarium. A vivarium is a container that corn snakes live in. They also live in tropical countries.

Light
Your snake does not need light 24 hours a day. When its light put the light on and when its dark turn the light off.

Heat
Snakes are cold-blooded, they get heat from the surroundings. The heat mat has to be 21°C-30°C. It has to a 3rd of the floor.

Moisture
Your snake doesn’t require a specific humidity.

What do they eat?
Corn snakes eat dead mice. You need to give your snake a mouse the same size of its mouth. You need to keep your mice in the freezer.

Yes they do like being stroked. They also like coming out of their cage.

Did you know?
Snakes habitats are pine forests, rocky outcrops.

Cornsnake Care Sheet 5

Where do they come from?
Corn snakes are non-indigenous animals and come from central and eastern America.

They live in vivariums (vivs) and like pine forests; rocky outcrops; grass; and hills inside their enclosed.

Light
Your corn snake could get extremely stressed if the lighting in its vivarium is wrong. For example, if the night time is bright.

Heat
Snakes are cold-blooded animals their ideal temperatures are 21°C-30°C (70°-86°F). For snakes you can purchase a heat mat. But they should only be ½ the length of the viv to regulate heat.

Moisture
Moisture, or humidity is essential, but not too much as your snake could get ill. They require a light misting but not a certain level.

What do they eat?
They eat mice, rats, and general rodents.

Yes, but only when they want to be stroked.

Did you know?
They hide in corn stores eating rodents hence the name corn snake.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 25/05/2010 : 10:46:14
yeah the gurgitate comment was classic. defo had to win glad it did
Mouse Posted - 25/05/2010 : 10:20:06
I'm glad! The gurgitate comment made me giggle!!
Kellog Posted - 25/05/2010 : 05:23:33
quote:
Originally posted by Lewy

Caresheet #2 is our winner! Congrats

For some reason that doesnt surprise me ....but I am so pleased - for Caresheet #2's writer for winning and for all the others who got involved and hopefully learnt a bit about corns....who knows, maybe it will encourage them to get one for themselves??? (Maybe that should have been the prize - a small corn with full set-up! )

xxx
Lewy Posted - 24/05/2010 : 21:15:34
Caresheet #2 is our winner! Congrats
Kazerella Posted - 16/05/2010 : 11:34:58
This one silly:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm
It does need updating though.

Going to give the voting until Friday then we'll announce the winner, so still plenty of time to cast for your favourite
lee2308 Posted - 14/05/2010 : 19:03:59
which one did you do kaz?lol
Blackecho Posted - 14/05/2010 : 13:58:30
A good standard all round.
Kazerella Posted - 14/05/2010 : 11:41:43
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

voted :)

do the kids have a corn for a class 'pet'?

No, they get a bag of jelly snakes and a plastic bending snake.

Kids prefer sweets
matty18714 Posted - 13/05/2010 : 22:27:31
Voted for number two - I liked that that one included the scientific name - though it was changed in 2005
LittleMick Posted - 13/05/2010 : 21:47:47
Voted.

The gurgitate bit made me giggle as well, lol.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 13/05/2010 : 11:33:17
quote:
Originally posted by shortyireland

i thought the "gurgitate" one was well cute

Yer i thought that was pretty cool.
n/a Posted - 13/05/2010 : 11:09:46
i thought the "gurgitate" one was well cute
Kellog Posted - 13/05/2010 : 04:51:12
Some of those answers did make me smile and it showed who had done the most research (or who had some help ) and those who obviously didnt do much homework! I did like the 'As I started to tell you earlier....' and 'Hope your not squeamish....' comments .

xxx
eeji Posted - 12/05/2010 : 18:39:38
voted :)

do the kids have a corn for a class 'pet'?
n/a Posted - 12/05/2010 : 18:36:11
i voted for the one i liked best too. one part of it made me giggle at how cute it was :D
Kehhlyr Posted - 12/05/2010 : 18:33:10
One I like the best isn't the one that is necessarily the best one.
I suppose I should vote for the best one really.
herriotfan Posted - 12/05/2010 : 17:32:41
Ok voted. Let us know what the prize was when comp is over!
n/a Posted - 12/05/2010 : 17:15:18
voted. very good idea for kids i must say
DannyBrown91 Posted - 12/05/2010 : 17:02:46
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

Sorry Dan- I couldn't get it to work so had to post it and tell Lewy to log on and sort it for me

Ahh atleast its working now. Got to say though i thought all the care sheets were actually pretty good.
Kazerella Posted - 12/05/2010 : 17:01:08
Sorry Dan- I couldn't get it to work so had to post it and tell Lewy to log on and sort it for me

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000