The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 any advise?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
joetheimpaler Posted - 07/05/2010 : 21:36:04
im getting a corn soon and its my first one so i wondered if anyone could give me some advise, ive read the care sheet but its nice to have an actual person telling you
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
DannyBrown91 Posted - 07/05/2010 : 22:27:18
quote:
Originally posted by joetheimpaler

sorry! just wondering about viv sizes and thermostats and substrate. i know most other stuff

Which viv size to get is down to prefference and size of the snake. Small snakes can feel stressed and vulnerable if they are in a large space so it isn't advised to put a small hatchling in something like a 3foot viv but depending on the size of snake you are looking to get there are several options.

Depending on what type of heat source you use there are a few different thermostats. Most people use heatmats for their corns so for these there are 2 different types of stats you can get. There are Matstats which are your basic on/off thermostats. They turn the heatmat on full power untill it reaches a set temp, then turns the mat off allowing the temp to drop, automatically turning back on when it goes below a set temp.

Then there are Pulse stats which heat a mat up to a set temp and then send just enough electricity to the mat to keep it at that temp. These are more expensive than the mat stats but are more efficient.
It dosn't really matter which thermostat you get aslong as you get one as they are very important pieces ok kit. You would also need a digital thermometer to measure the temperature in order to tweek the thermostat accordingly.

There are several differnt substrates you can use and this is down to personal prefference.

To name just a few you can use,
Aspen
Auboise/hempcore
wood chips
shredded paper/newspaper
Kitchen Roll
Orchid Bark
Eco earth

These are just off the top of my head so im sure there are more.
Substrates made from softwoods such as pine should be avoided as they contain a chemical toxic to snakes.
n/a Posted - 07/05/2010 : 22:17:36
Hi Joe, I've bought my son a corn snake today and I spent a few days reading through this forum and googling corn snakes so I can probably help you on this one.

My son went to the shop today just to get an idea of what we what we'd be spending and I had been pricing everything up using the internet and thinking it was going to be about £300ish but I got a phone call from my son saying that he'd seen a snake at the reptile place today and the starter kit and the snake was £160 he is going back tomorrow to get a thermometer and he bought this bark stuff which we've placed in its new home.

We have a hidden snake right now all set up in its new home and last night we were sitting looking at them on the internet and all it took was about a hour, this afternoon, to have it all ready for the snake with no name to move in.
joetheimpaler Posted - 07/05/2010 : 21:54:59
sorry! just wondering about viv sizes and thermostats and substrate. i know most other stuff
Kehhlyr Posted - 07/05/2010 : 21:51:56
Is there anything in particular you'd like to know, or just the general stuff??
If it's just the general stuff then have a wee browse on and around the forums, and if you have any particular questions or a bit of info that you'd like that you cannot find then feel free to ask away.

It's quite hard to give advise on something if it's not specific enough.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000