The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 scaleless corn

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MacSpud Posted - 03/05/2010 : 13:04:42
Hi All,

I was just having a browse when I stumbled across the scaleless morph which are apparently very expensive. I quite like the look but cant help feeling it's cruel?

I know it's blasphemy to say this here but I'm starting to think about getting another sanke, either a Mexican Black King snake or a Royal Python. It's very early days, I've had a look at the care sheets but was just after general pro/cons and thoughts from actual owners. Or should I "just" get another corn?

Cheers,

John
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sara3502 Posted - 13/07/2013 : 00:12:08
I don't think its too bad, but I don't know if I would buy one either...
smart bunny Posted - 12/07/2013 : 22:05:00
Wow - I didn't realise they had been around so long.... :P
yalovit Posted - 11/07/2013 : 00:16:09
yuk.why would anyone want to change a snake like that.the scales are part of the appeal to me.
Only1Nitro Posted - 10/07/2013 : 17:15:20
I would have one after watching snakebytes the info is dont feed live as the scales protect against attack also the ventral scales are important for a snakes mobility so they will stay but they live happy captive lives
sullysteve Posted - 10/11/2010 : 16:04:25
would they still shed?
sullysteve Posted - 10/11/2010 : 16:03:31
[quote]Originally posted by Figs

...i wonder what they feel like to touch

LOL
Sta~ple Posted - 10/11/2010 : 15:58:07
Some look liked used condoms to be with how their skin kinda shrivels and gathers when the snake bends XD
dannyhayman Posted - 10/11/2010 : 15:27:59
http://digitalherper.com/forum/posted/scaleless1.jpg

i found one too
it makes me sick.
n/a Posted - 08/11/2010 : 16:33:51
I don't think it's necessarily 'cruel' as like people have mentioned they can shed fine and as it doesn't appear to have any extreme detrimental effects to the snake's quality of life... it's more or less just the same as breeding for amel, anery etc as you're just selectively breeding for one specific trait for money and/or aesthetics...
if the snake couldn't move or shed properly though, that would be a different matter altogether...
joetheimpaler Posted - 07/05/2010 : 21:46:48
that snake looks like its made of rubber, but if its real then yes it is cruel and i cant belive that people would go to such lengths to get money! MEAN!!!
Kehhlyr Posted - 06/05/2010 : 23:54:59
They look like a cross between leopard geckos and a cornsnake to me.

Provided that the fact there's no cruelty in breeding or keeping them, I'd probably have one given the chance.
But then again provided there's no cruelty in bredding/keeping any reptiles then I'd probably have most things.
LittleMick Posted - 06/05/2010 : 22:26:57
I think breeding them all depends on how well they survive, if they live normal lives then why not breed them? I'd probably be more concerned if they were missing the ventral scales as well as the later and dorsal scales as that's how they move. Also, I haven't really loked into it much but there's supposed to be/or has been research done on whether scaless snake suffer from water and /or heat loss?!?! So if that's the case then yeah it would be cruel to breed them.
n/a Posted - 06/05/2010 : 20:00:11
nothing at all but u would be naked and uncomfy but never i suppose i would to live in mine too lol
Sta~ple Posted - 06/05/2010 : 19:44:07
quote:
Originally posted by mischang

eewww i bet its like taking ur pj's off as any one actually got one of these on here ??

What's wrong with PJ's? :o I love my PJ's.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 06/05/2010 : 19:39:04
quote:

eewww i bet its like taking ur pj's off as any one actually got one of these on here ??

Nope.
n/a Posted - 06/05/2010 : 19:31:14
DannyBrown91 Posted - 06/05/2010 : 16:56:50
quote:

i want to know how do they shed ??

Like a regular snake apparently.
n/a Posted - 06/05/2010 : 12:41:24
i want to know how do they shed ??
punumbear Posted - 04/05/2010 : 09:41:46
shouldnt mess with mother nature.. and how animals are.. surely if these pathetic looking creatures would have been part of a natural process if it was ment to be included in the chain of morphs/types etc..then we would have seen it naturally.. not some muppet holding it up thinking hes mr clever ******* oohh im gonna make alot of money off this,.. it may look pretty but everything serves a purpose.. snakes have had scales for an age so as per.. man steps in and starts messing... shouldnt be done.
Kellog Posted - 04/05/2010 : 05:12:49
quote:
Originally posted by MacSpud

@ eeji
but it's not evolution through natural selection it's artificial selection by man. Limb loss was over a period of millennia and conveyed a selective advantage to the species. This doesn't fit those criteria at all and indeed the loss of scales in it's natural environment would be detrimental to the protection and hence survival of the snake. It's similar to breeding hairless cats as pets. Furs a good insulator and those moggies wouldn't last a decent winter in the wild in temperate climes, fur can also be used for camouflage for the big cats in hotter climates.
The melanin in snakes is also for camouflage.

I agree with the general philosophical point about breeding in any species, animal or plant. A certain level is acceptable and we've done it for thousands of years (dogs. horses, cows etc etc) and of course crops.
IMO we can go too far as we see with certain breeds of dogs and the problems they have.

I think there's a difference between breeding for traits which don't have an impact (or minimal) on the well-being of the species compared to those which do, for example hairless cats and imo scaleless snakes.
I don't think we should use evolution in this context.

I am in total agreement with you here MacSpud. What has happened through evolution has happened for reasons to do with the continuation of a species, for it to be able to survive and thrive in a new environment it has had to adapt to. What we do it mess with what God/nature intended (whichever you believe).

I do take your point about the amel, and now the scaleless corn, Eeji. Personally I think that snake just looks wrong. I remember it coming under discussion under a topic about the ugliest snake, and in this topic - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5745&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=scaleless+. We do get to enjoy snakes that have been 'meddled with' and are not as nature intended....but surely there must be a point where we say stop. Unfortunately I think I am being naive and idealistic to say and believe that....man will keep messing and keep 'creating' different types of animals etc....that maybe should never have been born.

xxx

(by the way, its not blasphemy so say you want a different type of snake on here, just whisper it quietly rather than shout about it ! You know other forum members keep a variety of different ones - as long as corns remain your favourites! )

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000