The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Housing ??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jessejamez666 Posted - 27/04/2010 : 21:36:30
hey guys could anybody give me some advice on the Exo Terra Glass Terrariums????
I've had a good look on youtube and what and they look really cool.
Just wanted to know if they are Corn friendly??

Cheers
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
deadmansfinger Posted - 01/05/2010 : 17:44:34
quote:
Originally posted by MarkSue

Im building my own, the body/shell will be a wardrobe minus the doors. With 3 compartments for the snakes and another on top for odds n ends. If there`s room i`ll have another bit at the bottom for a beardie

Sounds like a good idea. You going to draw up a design beforehand or just go with the flow and see how it turns out?
MarkSue Posted - 30/04/2010 : 21:34:05
Im building my own, the body/shell will be a wardrobe minus the doors. With 3 compartments for the snakes and another on top for odds n ends. If there`s room i`ll have another bit at the bottom for a beardie
n/a Posted - 30/04/2010 : 17:15:18
Lol, yeah i dont think my mum would have been impressed with that either

I split up with the other half after new years and got to keep the house so i now have a big three bedroomed house all to myself!! I do have a smaller box room with a large alcove that i could turn into viv's (I would have them downstairs but my mum wont come round if they are downstairs and i dont want to have to move them when she comes round - not fair on the snake) so i could put them in the box room and keep the big double room as a spare room - its just i keep looking and thinking it would make an amazing snake room - and since i can do what i want have no-one to reign me in over it - could be a tad dangerous!! not to mention expensive - could easilly get 20-30 viv's in it with room to spare
deadmansfinger Posted - 30/04/2010 : 15:55:01
quote:
Originally posted by Baggage

I must admit that im quite tempted to build my own viv's - can make them exactly the way i want then - could probably manage on my own but my best mate is really good at the building stuff n im sure if i phoned him and bribed him with a beer or two he'd be more than willing to help out - i feel a plan hatching here - also cheaper so means can build more and therefore have nore vivs to fill - liking this plan even more....

id never thought about building them against the wall and then tilling it so it would be easier to keep clean - need to not get carried away tho - have a big spare back bedroom with two very large alcoves in them - can see me ending up with a snake room and no spare room (hey i live on my own - its an option!)

I know what you mean. My mum came home one day and found me preparing to covert 1/3 of my bedroom into a huge viv for my iguana, she was less than pleased
We eventually compromised and I converted the built in wardrobe instead, which was probably the more sensible option.

Now I am married and have my own house I find I don't want huge setups like that although thinking about it a loft conversion would be a great place to keep lots of vivs..................
Sta~ple Posted - 30/04/2010 : 15:13:09
There some awesome viv's dead finger. Wish I had DIY skills :( assembling flat packed stuff is hard for me.
n/a Posted - 30/04/2010 : 14:42:46
I must admit that im quite tempted to build my own viv's - can make them exactly the way i want then - could probably manage on my own but my best mate is really good at the building stuff n im sure if i phoned him and bribed him with a beer or two he'd be more than willing to help out - i feel a plan hatching here - also cheaper so means can build more and therefore have nore vivs to fill - liking this plan even more....

id never thought about building them against the wall and then tilling it so it would be easier to keep clean - need to not get carried away tho - have a big spare back bedroom with two very large alcoves in them - can see me ending up with a snake room and no spare room (hey i live on my own - its an option!)
deadmansfinger Posted - 30/04/2010 : 14:27:13
Check this viv out. The guy selling it is in EK too.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260591573448&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I checked on the overall size with him and it is 36"x15.7"x14.5"
deadmansfinger Posted - 29/04/2010 : 15:17:21
quote:
Originally posted by Baggage

Wow deadmanfinger - those vivs look ace - i must admit that being quite hany myself i am seriously thunking about building my own - have a couple of wardrobes not in use that i could pinch the wood from mmmmmmmmm *sits at desk sketching out possible viv layouts for that big alcove in the box room - at least 3 decent sized vivs in there mmmmmmm*

The best plans are designed at your work desk

If you do build one get the wood from a timber yard. I used 2"x2" from the frame on mine and from a timber yard its about 20p a foot and I got my glass from a local joiner for about £10 for those 2 big doors on the bearded dragon viv. An 8'x4' sheet of plywood cost me £16 and the most expensive and time consuming part was tiling inside them (the tiles aren't included in the £50 building cost and they cost me about £30 including adhesive). It took quite a few hours but afterwards it meant cleaning was a breeze with every surface being just a wipe with a cloth to keep clean and it just looked bloody good too
n/a Posted - 29/04/2010 : 14:18:14
Wow deadmanfinger - those vivs look ace - i must admit that being quite hany myself i am seriously thunking about building my own - have a couple of wardrobes not in use that i could pinch the wood from mmmmmmmmm *sits at desk sketching out possible viv layouts for that big alcove in the box room - at least 3 decent sized vivs in there mmmmmmm*
deadmansfinger Posted - 29/04/2010 : 11:47:08
The exoterra vivs are really good but not cheap to buy. I bought 2 of the 60x60x60cm ones from eBay brand new for about half the price they sell for in the shops so it's worth looking on there. The rock backdrops in them are really good and if you buy a hood for them then the additional items like the digital hygromter and thermometer clip on neatly to it.

I used to keep phasmids in mine and I sold them to someone who wanted them for snakes. They are the best vivs I have used to date.

Here's one of mine setup:-

Have you thought of building your own viv? Here's one I built and it only cost me £50 all in. Initially I had it as 2 seperate 2'x2'x2' vivs but later I connected them to give me a 2'x2'x4' setup:-

Or this one for my bearded dragon cost me £50 to build and it measured 5'x4'x3.5'

Sorry for hitting you with all these pics but I thought it would be good to show you what you can build for little money. A fully setup Exoterra tank will set you back £100+ for a decent sized one.

Brian
jessejamez666 Posted - 28/04/2010 : 11:42:22
Hey thanks for your response.
Its a small plastic tank we got with Beetlejuice, it's 360mm long x 210mm wide x 160mm high
Kazerella Posted - 28/04/2010 : 11:05:11
They are fine, although I would make sure 3 sides of the glass are covered with paper or a cool looking background to make the corn feel more secure. They don't always feel comfortable in open surroundings
DannyBrown91 Posted - 27/04/2010 : 22:13:50
Yes they are fine for corns. What is your corn currently being housed in?
mozacchio Posted - 27/04/2010 : 21:46:27
I have one! Spaghettino (my corn) is in it, so i guess my answer is yes..!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000