The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 size and feeding issues! pls help!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 26/04/2010 : 19:32:40
hi, my corn snake is about 18mths old! (ish) he is 4 and a half foot long, and a happy healthy little thing, I have recently put him up to weaner rats due to the feed not being enough for him! he has had 3 feeds now, takes them fine and does not have a problem digesting, as i thought he would at first. Thing is, he still seems rather skinny! and still has a very small head! is this normal?? as a friend of mine has a yr old corn that is alot smaller in length, but alot bigger in size! am i doing something wrong, this is my first corn but have done an awful lot of research before getting him, and have tried very hard and devoted alot of time to him. pls help me caz
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 27/04/2010 : 09:10:08
i will try and get some photos of him and post them on, as soon as i can get a lead for my camera
n/a Posted - 27/04/2010 : 08:52:32
thankyou, i did take the amount off of the shed, he is over 4 and a half foot on his shed, the man at the reptile shop measured him for me at 4 and a half foot, i have just weighed him, and he is weighing 300g is that ok? i will definately change his feed now and space it to 10 days. Thanks all for your help x
SexyBear77 Posted - 26/04/2010 : 23:30:47
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

a lot of members on here feed their fully grown corns every 14days on one xl or xbreeding mouse,

This is what I do with Casper, and he's a big lad!

As stated above, rats once a week will almost certainly lead to a chubby snake. Pics are useful for gauging how much he should be on.

Also, often when people think their snakes head looks too small, its because the body is too big....
HannahB Posted - 26/04/2010 : 23:14:43
it wouldnt harm him to give him a longer gap between meals.. a weaner rat a week could in the long term cause him more harm than good, an xlarge mouse every 10days would be fine - a lot of members on here feed their fully grown corns every 14days on one xl or xbreeding mouse, out in the wild they wont know when their next meal will come along so stretching his meals apart will just replicate the wild
when they shed you need to take off 10% of the length to account for the stretching so hes probably just over 4ft long,
the bump usually does disappear after 48hours
n/a Posted - 26/04/2010 : 20:38:21
have just tried but he is far too active tonight lol, he has been out a few times today! has just had a nice big poo tho! lol! i suppose with his length its just getting weight on him now? what wud be an ideal weight? caz
n/a Posted - 26/04/2010 : 20:33:46
thanks so much for the posts, have had him since 8 weeks old and have gone up in food size according to him, when he seemed hungry! i only fed him on sat and already the lump in his belly has gone, he was 4 and a half foot on his last shed, i took him to the reptile shop to be sexed and the man did say he was long! im not too sure how much he weighs i will try do that now if he is not too active!! lol, he is a lovely little thing, i dont think the mice wud be enough for him, he gets hungry v quickly i am feeding him the weaner once a week at the mo, so shud i do 2 large mice or x large? he did a full shed only a week ago and does shed easily never needs help or anything caz
HannahB Posted - 26/04/2010 : 20:02:23
hey and welcome

rats generally arent good for corns - they have too much fat which can lead to problems later on,
best thing for him is to have large/xlarge or x-breeding mice every 10-14days,
how much does he weigh?
have you had him since a hatchling? 4.5ft is long for a snake that age (but not unheard of)
herriotfan Posted - 26/04/2010 : 20:02:12
Hi Caz
I think the clue is in your first sentence " happy healthy little thing"
Personally I wouldn't worry too much while he's eating, drinking, pooing, shedding and being his normal self.
I guess snakes are like any other living thing, some are bigger than others regardless of how much they eat! I can only suspect they have different metabolic rates the same as we do.
You're a very caring owner who just wants the best for the snake. You've done your research so there shouldn't be any major factors in play.
It might help to post some photos, snakes weight and temp details etc. That way those on here who are far more experienced than me can help and reassure you. Try not to worry too much, I bet everything is fine.
Welcome to the forum too!!!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000