The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 viv size

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
animal_crazy_lady Posted - 26/04/2010 : 13:10:28
Hi its me again wih yet another question!

when will i need to move jake up a viv size? shes still in her 1st one... the people in the rep shop said she should be eating fuzzies before she moves up a size, but then she stopped eating and havnt managed to get her on to them yet!

she is just over 2ft and weighed 30g last time i weighed her.

iv seen a few pics on here where the snakes arnt much bigger than her and are in a proper viv..... confused!
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
animal_crazy_lady Posted - 28/04/2010 : 20:02:45
yeah i know.... checked and rechecked everything (for 4 months) she seems to be eating ok again now tho
LittleMick Posted - 28/04/2010 : 19:18:13
Even that slightly bgger one you have is only a total of 20", and if your snakey is just over 2' (24"), if you have the spare cash then I would upgrade. But that's me, I like to give all my animals the best.

As for her not eating, I have no experience with none feeders, but there are a few theories as to why they won't eat.

1. Temperatures not correct - make sure your readings are correct and accurate.

2. Housing too big - personally I think this is a load of rubbish, they don't live in houses in the wild!!! Will be testing this theory when Elijah upgrades.

3.Lack of cover and/or hoousing is glass or clear plastic - I have disproved this theory with Elijah, he lives and feeds in a clear plastic fuanarium, he has also fed in a clear plastic feeding container. HOWEVER, I do think snakes need retreats, so no cover might be a possibility.

5. Ill health - is she active? Is she deficating normally? So ask yourself or the normal health questions.

At the end of the day I think it just the individual snake, you know, is it stressed, why is it stressed, is it too cold for it too hot. I daresay there is a couple of members on here have had some experience with none feeders.
animal_crazy_lady Posted - 26/04/2010 : 21:13:18
ok well she nearly fits round the top of her viv thing! its 6x9inch at the top, slightly smaller at the bottom... if its too small would this stop her from eating?
i have a slightly bigger one i was going to move her up into when it was time (i used to keep my GALS in it) its 8inch by 1 foot at the top (11x7inch at the bottom) would this be better?
think i better get her back into eating again b4 i move her anyway but also wondered if this could be a reason for her not eating too!
theres a lot to learn lookin after these lil snakies! :p
LittleMick Posted - 26/04/2010 : 18:26:37
Yeah the guide is enclosure length + width = length of snake.
My Elijah is in a 18"x12"x7 1/2" faunarium. So 18 + 12 = 30, so Elijah can be in there until he is 30" long. Which is only 6" short of a 3' viv. But I'll be putting him in a 4' viv and if he seems to have problems then customising it so it's smaller witha heat mat to suit.

Another form of the same guide is - the snake should be able to stretch out at least 1/3 of it's body, this is so the snakes respiration isn't affected. Snakes only have one normal functioning lung, the other is smaller, can't remember if it is functioning or just less capacity
HannahB Posted - 26/04/2010 : 16:17:27
forgot about that point baggage!
dont panic though if your snake is 1-2inches longer than the width+length of the current housing, its not the end of the world - especially if you are looking for new housing anyway
n/a Posted - 26/04/2010 : 16:13:10
Hi, i have been told by the guys on here that for viv size your snake should be able to fit along two sides of the viv (long and short) if it cant - then needs the bigger viv size
HannahB Posted - 26/04/2010 : 16:12:24
it all depends on the snake and how much owners want to splash out on them
personally im getting my lot 3ft vivs at the end of the year, as all of them (except aura) will be big enough for them,
some owners get 2ft vivs and then move them up again to 3ft ones but imo unless you plan to get something to put in the smaller vivs once they are empty its a waste of money
mine will be around 2.5ft long when they go into their 3ft vivs..mont and lucien will be a bit longer but only fractionally
hope this helps

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000