The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 feeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
animal.jr Posted - 26/04/2010 : 10:42:42
how do i know what size to feen ma snakie.. he jus unda 12mnth an on 1large pinkie every 5 days but a small fuzzie looks mahoosive compared to his size.. will he injure if its too big or will he not eat it??
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 28/04/2010 : 04:47:48
I know that I am one of the people that uses the guide, but I do just use it as that - a very rough guide and only taken with common sense and what I know about my snake and what I think it can handle. You have been given the advise about the width of the prey and the width of the snake....and that is a very good way to see whether your snake will cope with the next size up - it has nothing to do with your snake's jaw size but more to do with their width.

Is there a bump after your snake has eaten his large pinkie? If there still is then it is fine to keep him on the meal he is on. If there isnt then do as HannahB has suggested and move him up to 2 pinkies. You definitely dont want to jump him up to a small fuzzy straight away. Slow and steady is the perfect way to put it!

xxx
crazy JJ Posted - 26/04/2010 : 12:15:56
i agree with hannah and Kehhlyr said it reli depends on the snake, that is only a guide but every snake is difo and you and only you know your snake the best but i would try with a couple of pinkies and then work your way up that way, slow n steady so to speak :D
HannahB Posted - 26/04/2010 : 11:55:11
if you think he could manage it, you could offer him two small pinkies or maybe one larger one and one smaller one, keep him on that for a while and then see if hes big enough for small fuzzies
like kehhlyr said, please dont religiously stick to that guide..all snakes are different!
Kehhlyr Posted - 26/04/2010 : 11:17:00
I've said it several times, and I'll say it again.

DO NOT take the weight guide as anything but a ballpark figure, but bearing in mind it's a very big ballpark.
Go by the thickness of the snake and the thickness of the prey item. Similar to what Mozacchio said above, but somewhere between the same thickness, but NO bigger than 1.5x the girth of your snake.

To give a general example, if your snake has a rough thickness of 1cm (10mm) then give a prey item that is no more than 1.5cm (15mm).
mozacchio Posted - 26/04/2010 : 10:54:59
Here is a rough food guide:
Snake (4 -15g) = 1 Pinkie (0.5-3g) - feed every 5 to 6 days
Snake (16-23g) = 2 pinkies (3-4g) - feed every 5 to 6 days
Snake (24-30g) = small fuzzy (3-6g) - feed every 6 to 7 days
Snake (30-50g) = fuzzy (7-9g) - feed every 6 to 7 days
Snake (51-90g) = fluff/hoppers (7-12g) - feed every 6 to 7 days
Snake (91-170g) = Small Adult/Weaned (13-18g) - feed every 7 days
Snake (170g+) = Large (19-25g) - feed every 7 to x days
Snake (170+) = X large (35 +) - feed every 10 to x days

But the better way to see if a meal is the right size is if it leaves a bump right after he eats it. Generally the meal should be around 1.5x the girth of your snakes widest point.
Hope i helped,
Electra

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000