The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Question for the DIYers

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sta~ple Posted - 15/04/2010 : 19:01:52
About how much aquarium seal do you need for an adult viv? I have been looking everywhere to find out but no information!

Would aquarium seal also glue the runners down?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mouse Posted - 19/04/2010 : 10:09:19
I used glue gun glue on mine, and it's fine, but you do have to be very quick, especially if you're outside, and not do what I did.

(glue the strip, pick it up, drop it onmyself, thus gluing it to me and burning me, then knocking the router onto my foot which hurt. Then having to take the set glue off the runner, and do it again.)

n/a Posted - 18/04/2010 : 21:51:30
I used a hot melt glue gun on the runners for one of the vivs, the other is using good ol' fashioned friction!

There's no reason you can't use the sealant; I've done it before.
Sta~ple Posted - 18/04/2010 : 21:33:38
Thanks so much again. What did you stick the runners on with by the way? Did you just use the seal to stick the runners or super glue?
n/a Posted - 18/04/2010 : 21:22:24
They're both 36x18.5x21 vivs. It's not as difficult as you may think; just keep a piece of wet rag handy and if things do go a bit pear shaped you can just quickly wipe if off the laminate and try again.

The fumes aren't that bad reslly (at least not from the sealant I had) although when I was getting up close to inspect my work I could really smell them! I did it inside by an open window with a fan blowing air out (which was more for my benefit as I was a little warm ).

Yeah, leave it 24-48 hours (I'd go with 48 personally) for the sealant to fully cure and the fumes to dissipate. My occupants wont be moving in until the end of the week (or weekend) so plenty of time to get rid of all the vapours!

Always glad to be of help!

Edit: Once you've run the sealant around the edges, if it's not too pretty and you're unhappy with it, get a biro lid (or the like), wet it, then run it along the edges; this should pick up any excess sealant and leave a nice even, almost professional looking finish (same principle as the pointy cut on the nozzle). Although, the sealant will dry pretty clear and I suspect people will be more interested in the viv's occupant than the quality of the sealing
Sta~ple Posted - 18/04/2010 : 20:59:48
How big were the viv's? Were they ment for adults? Thanks ^^ this means a 78g will do fine for 4 adult sized vivs and I can buy it tomorrow and then all that's left is to buy the viv and then make it yay XD

Eep that sounds hard I'm not very good at neatness and keeping stuff even.

Is it really that fumey? I didn't think it would be that bad. You think doing it outside and then maybe moving it inside or in the garage would be ok or still to fumey? I guess you have to leave it for 48 hours before you can put snankies in right?

Thanks by the way, your a star :)
n/a Posted - 18/04/2010 : 20:12:29
Well, that's 2 vivs built and sealed. I bought a 'medium' tube of sealant (78g) and used roughly a quarter to a third of it.

As for technique, it's just a case of cutting the nozzle bit at a good size (not too big, not too small) and at an angle so that the bead of sealant that comes out is enough to make contact with both panels being sealed. Keep the pointed part of the (cut) nozzle pointing away from the direction of travel then start sealing, keeping a steady pace and even pressure pushing the sealant out of the tube; this way you shouldn't end up with huge blobs here and tiny thin streaks there

Oh yeah, try to do it somewhere with some ventilation; too many of the fumes and you could end up with wavy lines of sealant everywhere (or a nostril sealed shut if you get too carried away)
Sta~ple Posted - 15/04/2010 : 19:32:48
Thanks that would be great. If you also find any tips on how to seal easy and not make a mess let me know please.
n/a Posted - 15/04/2010 : 19:22:39
I could probably tell you, but not until the weekend when I've put my vivs together and sealed them

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000