The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 R.I.P Henry

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
matty18714 Posted - 14/04/2010 : 19:25:32
Unfortunatly I had Henry put down today.

Her medical history for people who dont know (its pretty relevant):

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=2931&SearchTerms=henry

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3428&SearchTerms=henry

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3892&SearchTerms=henry

On the 3rd of April, two small bumps appeared on her left side close together under her scar. They looked like abscesses. She had had one a few years ago with her previous owner on the other side of her tail level with her vent. The usual treatment it antibiotics after is has been drained with a needle.

If you look between my fingers, you can see the abscess she had years ago.

The lumps felt like fluid with a small solid mass under each one. The masses weren’t fixed, they would move backwards if touched.

On the 7th, both bumps had joined together, and the tail was slightly "full" on the left side. It still felt fluidy with 2 small solid masses.

On the 10th, the bump had expanded and was visible from the side; it was making a bump underneath.

The next day it was larger and was pushing scales apart. It had also made a bump on the right side. A slightly smaller bump had formed about an inch closer to the head end. This bump was not central, or on the side of the snake, it was somewhere in-between. I was about the size of a marble. This meant there was a gap underneath her because of the two bumps. At this point I though the bumps were tumours instead of abscesses.

She also started losing scale condition:

The next day (12th), she was taken to my rep vet (Polly Cornwell at highcroft veterinary group, wouldn’t take her to see anyone else). She was kept in over night and had an x-ray and ultrasound.

Unfortunately she had produced eggs again, I really didnt expect this as the lumps were irregular. The two smaller bumps at the start were caused by the eggs pushing against something inside of her, possibley scar tissue from her last op. My options were to have the eggs surgically removed, as well as her reproductive tract, or have the eggs surgically removed and have her fitted with a deslorelin implant. The main issue was if I was to have the surgery to just remove the eggs, she will be in exactly the same situation next year unless we can stop her from producing eggs.

The surgery to remove the eggs would be much like the surgery she had before. Though to remove her reproductive organs, she would have had to have multiple incisions along her body which just isn’t fair. Its also close to a majour blood supply, and there is a low chance of survival. The only other way to attempt to stop her producing eggs is through the use of a hormone called deslorelin.

Deslorelin is a mammal hormone which prevents ovulation; it’s commonly used in ferrets. It has previously been used on green iguanas, though i'm not sure if has any proven effect on them. If Henry had had it, it would have very likely been a world first on a snake. Unfortunately, it’s not likely to work.

So, I though the kindest thing to do was put her down. She was 15 years old, not bad I think.

I watched her being put down, and helped to hold her still. I realise not everyone would want to do that, but were all different. If anyone wants to know how they are put down, i’m quite happy to explain it, don’t worry, its not gory, I just don’t think everyone will want to hear it. PM me on the reptilian if you do.

I think I have written enough now.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lilpunk Posted - 17/04/2010 : 07:38:08
R.I.P Henry Hope you're ok Matty, she was a beautiful snake, and you were a great owner to do what you did for her.

Lil xx
Fal Posted - 16/04/2010 : 22:18:06
Sorry to hear that, RIP Henry!
Kellog Posted - 16/04/2010 : 05:14:38
Matty, I am so sorry. I am not getting on the forum as much as I would like to so am really behind with what is going on, or I would have responded sooner.

I remember your other posts on Henry and you did everything you could for her....and at the end of the day you made the best decision you could for her. Having just gone through that with my dog I know how difficult it is. I know this may sound bizarre but I am glad you were with her when she was put down.

She was a beautiful snake and had a long and healthy life. She was blessed to have an owner such as you.

I know the no words will make you feel any different at the moment, but you are in my thoughts.

xxx

Sammysnake Posted - 15/04/2010 : 18:19:55
So sorry.
matty18714 Posted - 15/04/2010 : 17:16:50
Nope, doesnt have to be a male near by. They can do it during breeding season without a male around. Dont let that worry you or anyone else though, its not likley to happen.

I havent got a clue wether she was in pain or not. She was moving around normaly, but who knows.
Sta~ple Posted - 15/04/2010 : 17:13:22
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Thanks all.

Sta~ple, they can, but she has never been bred. She produced infertile eggs on both occasions.

So females can just lay eggs? Or is it something to do with them sensing a male nearby?

Bless her. I think man people have put her down with the cost of her vet bills but it's so nice that you did everything you could. I just feel so sad now.

Do you know if she was in pain at all?
matty18714 Posted - 15/04/2010 : 17:03:50
Thanks guys.
n/a Posted - 15/04/2010 : 16:36:39
Oh Matty!

I have just read through everything! And have brought more than tears to me eyes.

I am truly Sorry for you. I know that no words will ever be enough to take away your pain at this time but clearly you had done everything in your power for Henry. She was a beautiful snake and you are an amazing owner.

We are ALL here for you at this time and always

RIP Henrietta- Fly With Your Angels.

*BIG HUGS*

"My Heart Has Joined The Thousand- For My Friend Stopped Running Today."

All my Love Forever

Manda
xXxXx

lee2308 Posted - 15/04/2010 : 14:02:28
as i sad on the other forums,rip henry
Jennet Posted - 15/04/2010 : 13:29:32
Thinking of you Matty, and well done for having the courage to do what was best for your lass..... J
col654 Posted - 15/04/2010 : 10:21:01
R.I.P
Mouse Posted - 15/04/2010 : 09:41:28
I'm so sorry
*hugs*
KITTYCAT Posted - 15/04/2010 : 08:10:09
sorry for your loss matty but you did the kindest thing
R.I.P Henry
crazy JJ Posted - 15/04/2010 : 01:29:44
R.I.P to Henry

At least she had the best poss care and its great to know you were there till the end and now she has no pain or no worries n she can just r.i.p

Im sooo sorry 4 ur loss tho Matty
DannyBrown91 Posted - 14/04/2010 : 23:01:59
R.I.P

I'm so sorry for your loss, you made the correct choices, she had been through enough as it is and 15 years is a stretch especially with a caring owner such as yourself.
kdlang Posted - 14/04/2010 : 22:46:29
So so sorry Matt. She really had been through the wringer bless her. You did the kindest thing you could for her and was with her to the end. She couldn't have asked for better care.
gmac Posted - 14/04/2010 : 22:32:53
sorry for your loss Matty.
n/a Posted - 14/04/2010 : 22:15:44
Sorry to hear that Matty but it sounds you did the right thing for Henry.
15 years is a good stretch no punt intended. Again sorry about Henry
matty18714 Posted - 14/04/2010 : 21:36:09
Henry was female, short for Henrietta (and the production of eggs should have been a give away).

I have PM'd you on The Reptilian.
hiper2009 Posted - 14/04/2010 : 21:27:26
Sorry for your loss Matty - R.I.P Henry - Atleast he will be kicking back with the angels above.

I would like to know how they put him down if you don't mind explaining please.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000