The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 the gloves are off!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
amanda121921 Posted - 08/04/2010 : 18:21:48
had squidward for 2 weeks now and i think im nearly brave enough to try handle him again without the gloves!he's such a nippy boy. i know it doesn't hurt when they're so tiny (hope it stays that way!) but the first couple of times i handled him he must have bitten me at least 20 times-he thinks he's a viper not a corn, lol. anyway, had him out last night with the gloves and he crawled up my arm and his mouth remained closed which i took as a very good sign. he seems to be settling in great, has had two successful feeds and one complete shed which happened in the first few days he was here.think i'll leave it a couple more days with the gloves on then try him a couple of days after his next feed which is saturday-wish me luck!! kasey has always been so chilled and has only ever bitten me once in the 14 months i've had her so this is a new one on me
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 09/04/2010 : 03:58:52
Did mention the glove thing in your thread with pics of Squidward, and certainly agree that it would be best to try and do it without them - for one thing you are missing the amazing feeling of him sliding through your hands.

You know what to do - you have done it with Kasey....and Danny is right, you need to totally ignore any fear response he has or strike poses or tags, just try and pretend he is being as chilled as Kasey (easy to type and hard to do, I know!)

When you go to handle him go in slowly, and fiddle with the substrate a bit because that way you are getting his scent on your hands, which I think must help in keeping them calm. It will also warns him that you are in his viv so he is not surprised.

When you do pick him up try not to come at him from above, but rather scoop him up from the sides....that will scare him less. Do it very calmly and confidently, using both hands and being careful to support him so he isnt dangling. Hold him firmly and gently as he WILL try to escape from your grip and will obviously fight you and try to tag you - but that is a natural reaction for him now and you must not react to it but continue as you are.

He will be able to tell you are not confident and that will make him more stressed. It is a case of you needing to 'fake it until you feel it'...behave calmly and gently, with no sudden movements, and he will respond positively to that. His reaction when you go to pick him up will be a fear response and now a learned response....but that will lessen with time.

I know this is going to be hard for you - especially as he is so nippy, but just keep telling yourself that it will be worth it....you dont want to have a snake that you never get to feel slide through your hands, against your skin.

Let us know how you get on....will have our fingers crossed for you!

xxx

DannyBrown91 Posted - 09/04/2010 : 01:49:18
quote:
Originally posted by mozacchio

Danny is right. It's better if you take your gloves off! Have you thought that the gloves can be scary for the snake? Try to pick him up without gloves but very slowly and carefully and if he gets into striking position stop right there and when you see that he is calm again, try to pick him up. But if he bites you, don't show that you are scared or he will do it again.

Electra

Crucial thing to do i think is not to back off and pull your hand out the faun/viv/RUB whenever he strikes at or tags you, because then he will know when he does do it that you will back off.
mozacchio Posted - 09/04/2010 : 00:31:19
Danny is right. It's better if you take your gloves off! Have you thought that the gloves can be scary for the snake? Try to pick him up without gloves but very slowly and carefully and if he gets into striking position stop right there and when you see that he is calm again, try to pick him up. But if he bites you, don't show that you are scared or he will do it again.

Electra
DannyBrown91 Posted - 08/04/2010 : 18:38:20
I think they react better when they are handled without gloves to be honest. My casper was a right nark when i got her, she calmed down after a couple of weeks of nice calm confident handling. Just have to show them your not scared. Although there is the odd exception, hannahb'sZero for instance lol.

That said Casper did tag me yesterday,but shes in blue so i'll let her off.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000