The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 help needed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 01/04/2010 : 22:47:48
i have just bought an adult anery corn, went to the shop several times and handle him. when i bought him, came home and put him in the viv for 7 day rule. but when come to handle him he is going for me and rattling his tale. he was doing this when i was spot cleaning and charging the water in the 7 day rule. i have 3 other snake and never had this problem before. any idea what is best to do. i am getting him but just dont like seeing him stress when i come to get him out. all ideas welcome.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 03/04/2010 : 05:20:54
One thought, you say the heatmat covers just over half the floor base - is that too much and therefore not allowing him enough of a cool end? Normally, I think, the advice is to cover a third??

quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

im sure he will calm down with patience and confidence.

Danny is right I think. He will be adjusting to the change in environment, to his new viv, new handler, new smells, everything. You just need to handle him as if he were a hatchling, a case of quality not quantity....not keeping him out for too long each time....persevering no matter how much he rattles....slow calm movements no matter what he does....and show him you are confident and a safe place for him to be.

I am sure you know this already as you have your other 3 (how old were they when you got them?)....so sorry for telling you stuff you already know .

xxx
n/a Posted - 02/04/2010 : 16:00:59
he does have loads to hide in between of and around the back of. it is very full in the sense of there is lots of things for him.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 02/04/2010 : 00:54:36
Might be worth getting him a few plants so he dosn't feel quite so exposed, im sure he will calm down with patcience and confidence.
n/a Posted - 02/04/2010 : 00:39:54
the viv is wooden 3ft long, 18"high and 18" wide. he is about 3 and half ft, not sure on age but would say about 4-5 yrs as he is bigger than my 3 yr old. he has hides bog wood etc. he was kept in a very small rub. i am using a heat mat, which is just over half the floor base. and aspen bedding. the temp in 78-80. i have but things in which he can hide, but he is very active during the day and evening time.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 02/04/2010 : 00:31:43
Hes probably very nervous with the unfamiliar smells and things. Also if he is in a larger viv he may have become stressed, do you have any plants and things for cover within the viv?

I will also repeat what Kehhlyr has said, we could do with more information such as
How big/old is he?
What size viv is he in now, and what was he in in the shop?
How is the viv heated?
and what are the temps in the viv?
mozacchio Posted - 01/04/2010 : 23:44:33
quote:
Originally posted by tricksea

...i know it is more likely stress. as far as i am awear he has been kept in a rub most of his life, it is just that he was lovely and freondly in the shop. once home became like he is now.

Maybe he got stressed out because he lives in a larger viv now. But it's not definetely stress. Spaghettino was friendly in the pet shop, too, but rattled for no reason in the beginning! He has now stopped doing so and i have not changed a thing in my behaviour. He just understood that i was not food or an enemy!
Kehhlyr Posted - 01/04/2010 : 23:44:09
How long is he?
How big is his viv?
What is the viv made of?
How is it heated?
What decor/substrate is it?
Sta~ple Posted - 01/04/2010 : 23:39:54
Same happened with my first snake. In the shop so lovely and when I got him he just rattled his tail all the time even if I went near his viv. He eventually stopped after a month and now he's really soppy, if a snake can be soppy that is!
n/a Posted - 01/04/2010 : 23:25:27
not changed ne thing, and i have been going slowly and taking my time, but because i have not had this problem with the other 3 snake i have and i know it is more likely stress. as far as i am awear he has been kept in a rub most of his life, it is just that he was lovely and freondly in the shop. once home became like he is now.
mozacchio Posted - 01/04/2010 : 23:01:25
Did you change your perfume or your soap? He might not recognise you because of that. Check for any changes or anything that might have stressed him out. That's not necessarily the case, though. My corn (Spaghettino) used to rattle in the beginning and nothing was really wrong. Don't worry. If he rattles when you try to pick him up, just stay calm, stay still and when he seems to have relaxed a little, reach for him very slowly. Most of the time it's just a bluff. Even if he bites you though, don't jerk away but stay calm (not easy to do, i know) so that he sees that nothing happens if he bites. They usually do it when they are scared or stressed out. All you need to do is show him that you are a friend!

Hope i helped,
Electra

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000