The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 he seems sad in his viv but happy to be out!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
elfberg Posted - 16/03/2010 : 08:51:16
I've had my corn snake for about 3 months and he is so lovely and affectionate(if thats possible) and I play with him for about an hour a day, but when I put him back in his viv afterwards he spends about 30mins trying to nudge the lid and get back out again. It makes me feel really bad everytime I put him away. Is there anyway I can make him happier in his home and not just when he is out?
Thanks!
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 16/03/2010 : 10:32:30
It is great that you are taking on board the advice being given about Butters .

It certainly is not sensible to handle them for 48hrs after a feed as they need this time to fully digest their food - and I am appalled (but not surprised) that you were given the wrong advice.

I also think it is right that you need to limit your handling time. I only handle my adult corn for 30 min maximum at a time, but I do it twice a day....so maybe you could do that instead? Cut it down to 15/20 mins but do it twice a day?

Both my snakes try and avoid going back into their vivs, it can sometimes be a juggling act to guide them in as they will go in any direction except the one I want them to go in....but I know that it is what is best for them, even if it does seem as though they want to stay out longer.

How much does Butters weigh and how much are you feeding him?

Am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

Also, why dont you say 'hi' properly in the 'Introduction' section to that we can all welcome you and Butters to the forum officially !

xxx
elfberg Posted - 16/03/2010 : 09:46:34
Thank you for the advice! the breeder who I bought him off said it was ok to handle 24hours after feeding so that's what I've been sticking to but if 48hrs is better then I'll change to that. And on the time limit front, I started off at 15 or 20mins but now it has increased to about 40 because he seems happy and chilled and enjoys a mixture of exploring and just sitting in my hand, but once again if less time is recommended then I'll change to that as well as I dont want to do anything to stress the little guy out!
HannahB Posted - 16/03/2010 : 09:38:07
if hes still really young i wouldnt handle for that long, at that age its recommended to handle for 10-15mins a day because it is stressful for them no matter how chilled they seem to us,

and please dont handle so soon after feeding..generally its recommended to leave them for about 48hours after feeding as there is a chance they could regurgitate their meal, which isnt pleasant for the snake and isnt pleasant to clean up!!

any snake will try and escape after being out and about.. my king always puts up a fight when i put him back after handling, its just normal behaviour, just be aware though that if there are any loose areas or small holes in his lid then he will find them and go on a small adventure!
elfberg Posted - 16/03/2010 : 09:30:30
I've had him for 3months and think he was born about a month or two before that. I feed him once a week, but I don't think its to do with feeding as I fed him yesterday and then he did the nudging the lid thing today after I had played with him.
It isn't all the time, only straight after I put him away. Maybe he is just restless and feels confined in comparison to the freedom he has out of the viv? I could be wrong though as he is my first snake so I don't have much experience :)

Blackecho Posted - 16/03/2010 : 09:12:03
If he's trying to escape it will either be for food or breeding, it isn't that he's not happy. How old & big is he and how much do you feed him?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000