The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Probing

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 08/03/2010 : 10:50:55
Is there anyone in the kentish area that knows and can teach how to probe this is something that will come in handy if i ever get a male and eventually breed
thanks in advance
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 12/03/2010 : 19:10:04
cool will be in touch will send a pm
mikerichards Posted - 12/03/2010 : 15:40:41
Cool, well if you are not too far and you are willing to come to me, I can teach you on big stuff, 7ft boas, they are easy as they are not so wiggly, they have bigger teeth tho! Lol, they won't bite if done properly! If you are confident enough to handle and probe a big snake then corns etc will be easy, ish.
n/a Posted - 09/03/2010 : 20:27:28
i see your point with all this in mind it is something i want to learn
DannyBrown91 Posted - 09/03/2010 : 12:47:01
Mike has a very good point about the snake bite aswell, you don't really know how your going to react untill the time comes, i have been bitten many times by my small snakes and the first couple of times is a real shock lol, it dosn't really hurt but really gets the adrenaline going. At that point i guess its all down to psychology, your body enters the fight or flight process and your reactions are hard to control.
mikerichards Posted - 09/03/2010 : 12:32:44
Its not always the person probing who gets bitten, its quite often the other person, as they are within reach! If you haven't been bitten then there is no way of saying how you would react, a lot of people say they would be fine but as soon as it happens they panic and try and get away from the strike. Not trying to be mean, just playing both sides of the table. I am all up for people learning, just as long as the person learning has enough experience to deal with less than amused snakes!
n/a Posted - 09/03/2010 : 12:11:01
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

The problem is its all very well knowing the theory behind it, but no snake is gonna sit still while you poke it with a metal rod! 2 people are a must, especially with big snakes as they are incredibly strong, that and it would be surprising for the snake to whip round and have a good old munch on what it sees, your hand! So you need to be prepared for a bite, which makes a lot of people let go, so the second person then has the snake, and its not dropped.
Its a delicate job, and good tuition is a must really, its taken me a long time to do it myself!

there would alway be 2 people present as my oh handles the snakes to as for bites not been bitten before but any thing like that would be expected id be the same just neet a good teacher really
mikerichards Posted - 09/03/2010 : 12:02:40
The problem is its all very well knowing the theory behind it, but no snake is gonna sit still while you poke it with a metal rod! 2 people are a must, especially with big snakes as they are incredibly strong, that and it would be surprising for the snake to whip round and have a good old munch on what it sees, your hand! So you need to be prepared for a bite, which makes a lot of people let go, so the second person then has the snake, and its not dropped.
Its a delicate job, and good tuition is a must really, its taken me a long time to do it myself!
n/a Posted - 09/03/2010 : 11:47:31
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

Where in kent are you? I am in worthing and can teach you, but, you have to be 100% confident otherwise I won't as you can do serious damage!

im in margate about 2hrs away damage is the last thing i want to cause which is y i want to be taught how to do it i want to be self sufficient and not have to rely on rep shops for sexing
mikerichards Posted - 09/03/2010 : 11:30:28
Where in kent are you? I am in worthing and can teach you, but, you have to be 100% confident otherwise I won't as you can do serious damage!
DannyBrown91 Posted - 09/03/2010 : 01:01:05
As Kehhlyr has said, most reptiles places will do it for free. I know the place i got Casper and Reggie from does although there are only 2 people there who can do it, Lee the owner tends to be in quite often so if there is a place close to you it may be worth asking them. I don't know wether they would show you how to do it, but you certainly shouldnt attempt it untill you are overly confident that you are capable and won't harm the snake.
Kehhlyr Posted - 08/03/2010 : 23:03:50
Most decent reptile shops will probe for you for free.
Have you asked your local reptile place?

It's handy if there's a couple because you could then have it done at both (without letting them know) and then you'll be doubly sure of the sexes all round.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000