The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 To All Royal Owners?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 25/02/2010 : 22:32:36
Hi guys looking for some advice on Royals. I know I can look on other sites but I wanted to ask on hear where I am a member of and I know some of you have Royals.

What I wanted to know is: Are royals an active species or do they just like to hide all day?

Anything else I should that you think is relevant please send me a post.

Thanks rich.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gmac Posted - 28/02/2010 : 23:21:25
king snakes, mine spend very little time hiding away
sexychef Posted - 28/02/2010 : 23:13:57
hognose snakes
eeji Posted - 28/02/2010 : 20:26:12
honduran milksnakes :)

They are quite secretive, but when they're out they are very active :)
n/a Posted - 28/02/2010 : 20:05:27
I want another type of Snake that is active and dose not just lay around all day.

Before anyone says Snakes are mostly active at night and are generally like that I am aware of this.

Just wondered if there are any others that don't hide as much and are fairly active.

Thanks Rich.
Kazerella Posted - 28/02/2010 : 16:17:34
Don't get a royal- get a king!

n/a Posted - 27/02/2010 : 22:33:02
quote:

Nothing wrong with them not eating, its what they're designed to do in the wild. Its only the owners that get upset by it.

Come and see us here: www.theroyalpython.co.uk
quote:

Thanks mate will pop over and look around and see if its for me or not.

To the rest thanks for the posts it is much appreciated.
Karl Posted - 27/02/2010 : 17:44:43
Royals are cool snakes to keep. They very little, but they are curious creatures, and they don't want alot of room. They do have a calm and gentle nature and seem to make you fall for them more. I think you are either a Royal person or not.

Younger ones do the climbing/free falling thing alot, but after a year or two they are quite boring most of the time. The feeding thing is someting you have to get used to. They tend to eat like pigs in the first year, but after that winter time (roughly October through to March) becomes fasting time (and also even less movement!). This shouldn't bother you, it's just what they do. Pythons tend to do this, they tend to bulk up then hide out while they slowly burn it off.
Years ago I fed MUCH smaller amounts to my Royal than we do now, and it never fasted........I don't think my old one was better off, I just think he was hungrier more. So long as you get one knowing this, and don't panic and try to force them into feeding (worst thing you can do) then Royals are a cool snake to own.

Just get a few other snakes to eat the wasted food and so you can see a snake actually DOING something. Anything but a boa.....

I prefer my Royal if I want one of the snakes to just stay on my lap instead of chasing the carpets around or the corns. I wouldn't buy another royal, but I wouldn't part with Stig either.
gingerpony Posted - 27/02/2010 : 13:01:06
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Nothing wrong with them not eating.....Its only the owners that get upset by it.

that's why i said they're not good if you ARE a stressy/worried/paranoid type of owner
sexychef Posted - 27/02/2010 : 00:12:59
the not eating bit is part of the fun and the release when they take that rat after 6months is so good hehe. oh and yes follow BE's link.
Blackecho Posted - 26/02/2010 : 22:29:18
Nothing wrong with them not eating, its what they're designed to do in the wild. Its only the owners that get upset by it.

Come and see us here: www.theroyalpython.co.uk

gingerpony Posted - 26/02/2010 : 22:10:51
yeah yeah matty look on the BRIGHT side of royals lmfao

but if you're a stressy person i still believe a royal fasting for 6 months isn't gonna help you much
matty18714 Posted - 26/02/2010 : 21:14:23
About the not eating thing, I dont think its a bad attribute, as long as your not going to worry about it. Trying to keep them eating will teach you to read the snakes body language, teach you more about husbandry, teach you techniques to get a snake to take prey, and you will find out how to handle a snake without disturbing it and stressing it out.
gingerpony Posted - 26/02/2010 : 21:01:07
i was pretty disappointed with my royal, not that he ever did anything wrong he was just a relatively boring kinda snake (and now belongs to HannahB )
it was a steep learning curve after having only corns for years although it was a good experience as i them decided to see if boas were for me................which they are

generally i'd say Royals are not the sort of snake a stressy owner should have really due to these golden Royal rules:

if their care is wrong, they won't eat
if their set up is wrong, they won't eat
if they're handled too much, they won't eat
if the food isn't heated the right way, they won't eat
for at least 3 months of the year, they won't eat
if you look at them the wrong way, they won't eat!

n/a Posted - 26/02/2010 : 19:36:00
Thanks for the input everyone I was not expecting so many posts

Well that gives me something to think about on whether a Royal will be right for me?

Better this way than to rush in and buy one. Only to not be what I am looking for.

My research will go on for a while yet to find the right Snake.
Very hard to see passed Corns though!

HannahB Posted - 26/02/2010 : 16:19:31
i love my royals - they are slow il give them that but they are so cute to watch when they really get going - plus they have really cute peanut heads and when you are really bored you can pattern watch (a bit like cloud watching when you see what shapes you can see in the sky..) and thats quite entertaining
Nazzle Posted - 26/02/2010 : 12:31:06
Sevvi generally has his head poking out of his hide most of the time (apart from just after a feed) and I see him more often than the corns. He's different but I love him just as much (dare I say he was my first so he'll always be a bit more special than the corns?)
SexyBear77 Posted - 26/02/2010 : 09:21:52
I absolutely ADORE my royal, he's so docile and very cute. Whereas the corns are always on the go, it is very relaxing to sit with him in the evenings as he is perfectly happy to sit on your hand and watch telly.

Yes, he's not very active, but he more than makes up for it in sheer good looks and funny personality.
sexychef Posted - 26/02/2010 : 08:48:10
i know thats why i said your quote. there nothing like slugs there lovely
Kellog Posted - 26/02/2010 : 08:22:09
quote:
Originally posted by sexychef

all the above is correct except kellogs quote. i love my royals but they are quite inactive. if you want a snake that fun to watch get a hoggie

Please note SexyChef - not my quote but Eeji's....and I did attribute it to him !!

xxx
sexychef Posted - 26/02/2010 : 08:13:18
all the above is correct except kellogs quote. i love my royals but they are quite inactive. if you want a snake that fun to watch get a hoggie

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000