The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Interviewer not much better than being interviewee

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Fal Posted - 12/02/2010 : 21:31:08
I held interviews for a position at my work today and I must say... It's not much easier than being the interviewee.

I've had interviews in the past and I hate them, so nerve wracking and even worse when you have to sit and wait! Well, giving the interviews aint much better, especially when you get people who you genuinly think are really nice and obviously nervous, but aren't right for the position.. I feel so bad that they have gone through all that to not get anywhere.. Like I'm a mean person! I got told I need to toughen up and stop being a big softy, but I can't help feeling bad for them.
I chose the right person for the job in the end, and they are over the moon - it was great giving them the news! However, now we're sending the letters out to turn people down (at least we do that, I hate it when companies don't), but it still sucks!

Don't know why i'm typing this, but it keeps playing on my mind. I just never though about the other side of interviews

I need to stop being so soft lol
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 13/02/2010 : 19:51:33
It might be better to be a little tougher on them. At least they'd have a clue what to expect. I remember several interviews where I left feeling sure I had the job and the people gave the job to someone else after being "so nice" to me.I was not impressed. [quote]Originally posted by Fal
Sammysnake Posted - 13/02/2010 : 19:36:39
quote:
Don't know why i'm typing this, but it keeps playing on my mind.

Umm, 'cos you're a caring and nice guy. Like the others have said, focus on the good you've been able to do for the right candidate and the fact that you know you've made the right choice. I guess the 'toughening up' thing comes with more experience but I hope you never lose your caring nature.
Fal Posted - 12/02/2010 : 21:55:20
True SexyBear, I've had the same with people saying, 'we'll let you know,' and then I hear nothing, so didn't wanna do that and you're both right, I need to focus on the positive! Maybe its the Can of Bud making me think too much hehe..
SexyBear77 Posted - 12/02/2010 : 21:52:43
At least you send letters to unsuccessful applicants, I've lost count of the number of interviews I have been to and never heard a sausage back from the company etc.

At least you have improved someones life by offering them a job, focus on that rather than the disappointment if the others.
Fal Posted - 12/02/2010 : 21:51:58
Thanks Kellog, appreciate that! I'm also pleased the person who was right for it was someone who has struggled to find work due to the current climate, so really pleased, rather than it being someone who was job hopping. Feel like we've given someone an opportunity who deserves a break, but hope I don't have to do it again any time soon, I don't like being the good guy to one, bad guy to the rest :(

Well, Bella doesn't judge me, she knows I bring pinkies hehe..
Kellog Posted - 12/02/2010 : 21:37:54
I can understand your reaction Jonathon....think anyone who has been on the receiving end of interviews must find it hard being the one 'dishing it out'....but it is right, you do have to toughen up cos at the end of the day it is better for them to learn from the interview what it is they are doing wrong and why it is they dont get the job - and that is what you need to put in their letters, some advice about how they can do better the next time they go for the job. Am pleased you found the right person for the job though....you did a good job!

xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000