The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 AS biology help?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 10/02/2010 : 21:35:37
I was wondering if anyone has any infomation on the breathing mechanism of snakes? Report on it due in tomorrow but cant seem to find anything usefull about it :S
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 15/02/2010 : 07:02:28
[Snakes do not see colors, but their eyes are equipped with a combination of light receptors: rods that provide low-light but fuzzy vision, and cones that produce clear images.]So snakes have similar vision as dogs. That explains a few things concerning an earlier thread about how well our snakes see. [quote]Originally posted by Kehhlyr
n/a Posted - 13/02/2010 : 15:21:09
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:
Originally posted by Jac_mac

Edit-Just noticed that 'Let me google that for you' thing :D

I love the 'Let me google that for you' link, it's probably my most fave link.

Anyways, give us an update on things, I'm assuming you're still in the Bournemouth area, what you studying at college?

You had a corn by the name of Boris, or maurice. Sorry can't remember the name properly, only that the end of the name sounded like 'iss'.
Hows it getting on?

/quick edit
Just looked at your profile, it was called Maurice. Woo to me, I remembered something, somehow.

Lol, well remebered He'd doing fine thanks

And yep, still in Bournemouth. At Brockenhurst now, which is a bit of a trek TBH, but its a great college. Studying Biology, Chemistry, Psycology and Maths, which is a tad dull to say the least :P

And thanks SexyBear, that wasnt on any of the websites I tried, so should get me a few brownie points from my tutor
SexyBear77 Posted - 11/02/2010 : 10:48:35
Dig this up out of my vertebrate zoology lectures-

Amphibia had primitive lungs and used positive pressure to breathe.
REPTILES developed FAVEOLAR lungs and use NEGATIVE PRESSURE to breathe.Reptiles have no diaphragm-they use ventral ribs and pelvic movements to create negative pressure in
lungs. Lizards: trachea connects the lungs expansion and contraction of the ribs allows air to move in and out.
Kehhlyr Posted - 11/02/2010 : 00:26:16
quote:
Originally posted by Jac_mac

I love the 'Let me google that for you' link, it's probably my most fave link.

Anyways, give us an update on things, I'm assuming you're still in the Bournemouth area, what you studying at college?

You had a corn by the name of Boris, or maurice. Sorry can't remember the name properly, only that the end of the name sounded like 'iss'.
Hows it getting on?

/quick edit
Just looked at your profile, it was called Maurice. Woo to me, I remembered something, somehow.
n/a Posted - 10/02/2010 : 22:12:08
Brilliant, thats really helpfull. Cheers

And yeah, its been ages since ive last been on. Started college in September and been kind of swamped since, its crazy the amount of work we get :S Not that I do much of it mind

Hows you been?

Kehhlyr Posted - 10/02/2010 : 21:59:24
Jac_mac!!!!! Where've you been!!!!

Anyway, quick bit of info here: http://animals.howstuffworks.com/snakes/snake1.htm about halfway down the page.

And from public domain: The lungs of a snake must fit inside a long cylindrical body; their structure is somewhat different from those of most animals. In most snakes the right lung is usually the largest and extends for over a 1/3 of the body. The left lung is then VERY small or absent. In effect, snakes only have one lung. During feeding, when the mouth may be blocked with food for up to an hour, the snake is able to breathe by extending a muscular extension of its windpipe, called the epiglottis, from the bottom of the mouth. It protrudes from underneath the prey to reach air and allow the snake to breathe. If you watch the snake eat carefully you will see a hole inside the mouth on the bottom lip, this is the windpipe

Usually just try rephrasing the question on google can bring up multiple different results:
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=How+do+snakes+breathe%3F

So where've you been all this time?
mikerichards Posted - 10/02/2010 : 21:58:50
what do you need to know?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000