The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 aggresive behaviour

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 27/01/2010 : 15:07:44
my sid is normally so placid. he is 8months old and has suddenly started trying to bite me and my boyfriend when we handle him. he especially likes our rings and the ends of our fingers. i am worried about this sudden change in behaviour. any advice welcome.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 27/01/2010 : 17:32:58
thanks hannah and sexy bear. will take your advice onboard. have just found a great site 888reptiles.com that sell everything from substrate to heatmats and food. am going to get the stuff from there.
HannahB Posted - 27/01/2010 : 16:40:21
ebay.. you can pick up stats on there for relatively cheap prices although brand new ones cost around £25-£35..
digital thermometers..ebay - can get really good digital ones on there with two probes for about £7
hides... toilet rolls, cardboard boxes, flower pots, plastic seedling trays.. anywhere
n/a Posted - 27/01/2010 : 16:32:18
thanks. half the box is currently onn the heat mat though i can move this so only a third is on it. how much would these items cost and where would i get them?
SexyBear77 Posted - 27/01/2010 : 15:50:55
I would say his box is too small, and that the heat mat is too hot. Corns rarely become agressive through lack of handling.

Regardless of what you have been told, stats are essential bits of kit. Unregulated heat mats can reach in excess of 40 degrees celcius, enough to seriously stress your snake. How much of the box is on the mat? Remember there needs to be a temperature gradient across the viv so your snake can thermoregulate.

He will need another hide at the other end of his box permanently so he feels nice and safe.

I would seriously consider doing some shopping for Sid, a new faunarium, mat stat, 2 digital thermometers, another hide etc. Although you could use a toilet roll tube as a cheap hide.
n/a Posted - 27/01/2010 : 15:40:46
his viv is 6" by 10" at the base. i was told that i didn't need a stat for the heatmat as the mat is outside the viv i.e the viv is placed on it. he does have a hide which is a half coconut shell with a hole cut in it, he has twigs to climb on and the aspen at the other end to the heat mat is deep enoguh for him to burrow, and when neccessary his shed box aswell. he alsways has fresh water, (although i have recently gone from using tap water to filtered water)i am debating if its got something to do with the fact i ahave been away on business a lot this past fortnight?
SexyBear77 Posted - 27/01/2010 : 15:32:42
Firstly you MUST get a thermometer, they are essential. I assume your mat is attached to a stat to regulate the temp? High temps can cause extreme stress.

We need to know more about how he is being kept-

How big is the box he is in?
How many hides does he have? etc...
n/a Posted - 27/01/2010 : 15:20:38
he is being fed one fuzzy a week. should i increase this to two? he is never fed in the viv. he is still in one of the small breeding boxes with a heat mat and aspen substrate,don't have a viv thermometer. its only been a couple of weeks he's been acting this way.
SexyBear77 Posted - 27/01/2010 : 15:16:22
Sorry to hear you are experiencing problems.

Plenty of topics are available on the site, easiest way to find them is to use the search button in the top right hand corner.

Do you feed in the viv or faun by any chance? Some snakes mistake hands for food if they are fed in the viv.

How much do you feed Sid? How often?
What are your temps?
What is his setup?
How long has he been acting this way?

Lots of questions but try to give really detailed answers.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000