The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Fingers Crossed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 24/01/2010 : 15:39:07
Eric had his 1st feed in ten days last night, following a regurge.

He must've been ready for it as he struck and constricted... Yaaay, go Eric, lol, it's the 1st time we've seen him do that.

So fingers crossed he keeps it down.

Weird thing is tho he always eats them bottom 1st?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
DannyBrown91 Posted - 02/02/2010 : 00:04:43
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy

i am mega happy to hear he has eaten for you, and head first this time can't be bad tof ate bum first for the first time a few days ago, it looks odd lol

Silvesta did exactly the same thing today...absolutely freaked the OH out!!

xxx

Maybe all the snakes are playing tricks.If casper eats a pinky the right way round then it is a miracle lol. I guess i willfind out on wednesday.
Kellog Posted - 01/02/2010 : 23:41:50
quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy

i am mega happy to hear he has eaten for you, and head first this time can't be bad tof ate bum first for the first time a few days ago, it looks odd lol

Silvesta did exactly the same thing today...absolutely freaked the OH out!!

xxx
n/a Posted - 01/02/2010 : 21:07:35
Thanks all, yep he can be a worry (he's not even s'posed to be mine, lol).

Seems my daughter told the plumber off today too for leaving the doors open when he was going out to his van. He got told to keep the doors shut so the snake doesn't get cold, hehe. Maybe he thought she was on about the stuffed horned viper hanging round the living room coz he didn't really know what to say other than "Ohhh".
Kellog Posted - 01/02/2010 : 05:17:33
That is fantastic news Sharon, and a great relief to you I am sure! Our snakes can worry us so much, cant they!

xxx
gingerpony Posted - 31/01/2010 : 22:02:36
congrats hun bet you're relieved! lol
n/a Posted - 31/01/2010 : 20:45:24
n/a Posted - 31/01/2010 : 15:58:53
Well he didn't touch the pinkies I left overnight, so I removed them and tried again today.

He struck & constricted the first one so fast I never saw it coming, lol...he actually ate it head first too for a change, lol. Swiftly followed by a 2nd pinkie I left in his feeding tub.

So hopefully it was just his temps being a little out, and maybe feeling a little insecure. Hopefully we're back to business as usual.
n/a Posted - 28/01/2010 : 21:41:02
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

try not to worry hun, i know thats easier said than done though!
leave it in the faun with him overnight, trying not to disturb him by checking every 10 mins lol

if he's still not eaten just try again in another couple of days.
if you think of a similar experience in human terms: you go out for a meal, it's lovely but the next morning you're desperately ill, imagine some kind of food poisoning or similar! how keen would you be to go to the same restaurant and eat the same dish again? psychologically it takes time to get back into eating anything at all after being violently sick for a few days............

what i'm saying is it might just take a little time hun

Good point GP. Actually I just caught him on a sneaky outing round the faun, lol, so he's obviously not in complete hiding.

But yes, I will leave the pinkies until tomorrow and leave his faun partially covered etc.
gingerpony Posted - 28/01/2010 : 21:29:41
try not to worry hun, i know thats easier said than done though!
leave it in the faun with him overnight, trying not to disturb him by checking every 10 mins lol

if he's still not eaten just try again in another couple of days.
if you think of a similar experience in human terms: you go out for a meal, it's lovely but the next morning you're desperately ill, imagine some kind of food poisoning or similar! how keen would you be to go to the same restaurant and eat the same dish again? psychologically it takes time to get back into eating anything at all after being violently sick for a few days............

what i'm saying is it might just take a little time hun
n/a Posted - 28/01/2010 : 21:21:00
Hmmm, well it seems he's taken the decision himself NOT to eat tonight.

I took him out and offered him a pinkie out of his faun but he wasn't intersted. It's the first time he's refused a feed.

He was looking to get back in the faun so I've put him back in and he's gone straight back in his warm hide but I've left one large and one tiny pinkie on kitchen towel. (I've also put kitchen towel under his hide incase he drags either pinkie back in there, to avoid the aspen issue).

On the positive side he hasn't lost any weight as I did a quick weigh in before offering his food.
Kellog Posted - 28/01/2010 : 04:29:22
I am so glad there has been no sign of a regurge Sharon, that is really good news. Just keep following GP's advice and you cant go wrong !!

xxx
n/a Posted - 27/01/2010 : 23:20:02
Thanks GP, I'll maybe wait n see if he's out and about tomorrow of his own accord, and if not I'll wait a while longer.
gingerpony Posted - 27/01/2010 : 23:09:56
i'd maybe leave it another day or two till he's a little more active, although my girls generally won't be seen out and about until they get a sniff of a mouse defrosting but you know you're own snakes and what it 'normal' behaviour for them

waiting certainly won't do him any harm hun
n/a Posted - 27/01/2010 : 22:41:48
quote:

it does all sound good hun, if he's been hungry with waiting for his next meal, then regurging it, then fasting a further 10 days it will feel gooooooood to have a full belly lol

Phew, sounds hopeful. Not sure if I should still feed him tomorrow though given that he's not been out and about/pooed?
gingerpony Posted - 27/01/2010 : 22:27:28
it does all sound good hun, if he's been hungry with waiting for his next meal, then regurging it, then fasting a further 10 days it will feel gooooooood to have a full belly lol

n/a Posted - 27/01/2010 : 20:22:31
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

I really do hope that Eric keeps this meal down Sharon, I know it must have been so distressing dealing with his regurge and a worrying time since. Will be thinking of you (and Eric) over the next few days.

Never had one of mine eat bum first....but Silvesta ate his last mouse 'upside down' - in the sense that both snakes usually feed with the mouse 'the right way around' so they go head first and work their way down the mouse's back, around the front legs etc to the tail. This time Silvesta did it with the mouse's tummy upwards and it looked so strange....with these little paws curled on its chest.... Sorry , serious brain fog at moment so explaining this really badly and didnt get any pics - but it did look very strange!

xxx

Hehe, I get what you mean about the way Silvesta ate, and yes it does look funny like that, lol.

Well I'm not sure what's going on with Eric yet. He still hasn't brought the pinkie back up (fed him Sat night) as I've been checking the viv. But Eric has stayed curled up in his warm hide and hasn't emerged since (that I've seen). He usually comes out of an evening for a wander round. So I'm not sure if he's still struggling to digest it as there's no sign of any poo either. And yes, he's been left to his own devices, no handling apart from taking him out to feed, and he's been left alone since.
Kellog Posted - 27/01/2010 : 04:27:48
I really do hope that Eric keeps this meal down Sharon, I know it must have been so distressing dealing with his regurge and a worrying time since. Will be thinking of you (and Eric) over the next few days.

Never had one of mine eat bum first....but Silvesta ate his last mouse 'upside down' - in the sense that both snakes usually feed with the mouse 'the right way around' so they go head first and work their way down the mouse's back, around the front legs etc to the tail. This time Silvesta did it with the mouse's tummy upwards and it looked so strange....with these little paws curled on its chest.... Sorry , serious brain fog at moment so explaining this really badly and didnt get any pics - but it did look very strange!

xxx
n/a Posted - 25/01/2010 : 02:25:20
quote:

do you feed in or out of the viv/faun/RUB?

Out of her faun, and with tongs.
I don't dangle my fingers in front of her head still though, a bite would make me jump a mile lol.

Will probably get some teeth treatment at some point though, as I'm at the very start of a life with snakes.
n/a Posted - 24/01/2010 : 23:18:05
Thanks all, and yes BE I'll try the super heating the head method next time, thanks for that.

I did dangle the pinkie head 1st and that was how he took it... then he twisted himself round at a weird angle after constricting to eat the back end 1st, lol.
gingerpony Posted - 24/01/2010 : 22:02:47
quote:
Originally posted by Oakey

quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

You're trying to avoid your snake eating naturally?

No I meant striking at me when its not feeding time.

do you feed in or out of the viv/faun/RUB?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000