The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 I finally quit my job!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SexyBear77 Posted - 18/01/2010 : 13:43:30
Phew, thank god that's over!

Have been working for the past year and a half as a riding instructor at a yard local to me, and finally reached the end of my tether yesterday.

We were having a viewing of horses and ponies for sale and loan, and the boss decided to put a youngster in that I have been schooling since November. This horse is very very green, very very nervous and spooky, and prone to having a complete fit if you give him a hard time.

Since I began riding him he has been a changed horse, jumps courses of coloured jumps, work inside and out, daylight and dark, with and without other horses, and is generally 10x better than he was.

There was over 200 people in the arena, with music over the loud speakers, commentary over a mike and general chaos- understandably poor old Rufus was distraught, shaking from head to toe and not very forward.

At this point, a member of the viewing crowd decided to wave a schedule in his face to "push him on" and that was that, he point blank refused to go past the crowd unless one of the other girls chased him with a whip. He was terrified, so i sat very quietly, gave him a scratch on the neck and just tried to keep everything sweet.

When we left the arena, I was confronted by my furious boss demanding to know why I hadn't beaten the "poop" out of him- all I had done was taught him to nap.

Anyway, I then had to spend the rest of the day having my riding torn to pieces by both my boss and all her friends, even when I was trying to eat lunch in the cafe.

So today I quit. I am so so angry with her, and so so upset that I have let Rufus down- today he was provoked into running backwards and then given hell for it to teach him a lesson I have never had to be hard on that horse, ever, and he goes like a dream. My boss told me that if I felt stupid it was my fault, I rode like "poop" and deserved every bit of criticism. She also said the horse is now a danger to himself and others, and his ways would have to be "corrected..."

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but they are such a bitchy bunch down there that they are all on my bosses side, I know a few of you on here have horses or ride so I thought maybe you would understand!

Starting the job hunt again after exams, the joys.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SexyBear77 Posted - 19/01/2010 : 17:43:10
Thanks very much for the support guys, having thought on it today I am just glad to be gone. Hopefully Rufus will be found a good new home soon, and in the meantime the yard manager, who is also a good friend, has assured me she will keep me updated on how he is doing.
Flatpack63 Posted - 19/01/2010 : 17:38:42
So sorry to hear about this. But from the sound of it, you are better off out of it. I know you feel sad to have to leave the horses behind, but at the end of the day, unless you win the lotery, there is not a lot you can do about it.
Look forwards, not backwards, and I hope you find a new job working for someone that will show some compassion and not just look at the bottom line all the time.
n/a Posted - 19/01/2010 : 10:06:40

Totally understood re how you feel about Rufus, great shame he belongs to that person .

Good luck with the exams and then the job hunt. I hope your next job will be a lot more rewarding and your new boss a lot more appreciative and knowledgeable.

One word on working with animals: there is always the chance of your heart breaking, but it's bad enough when it happens becuase Mother Nature does her thing, really no need for people to add to that.

gingerpony Posted - 18/01/2010 : 21:37:41
oh hun i know exactly how you feel, i think i've walked out of more horsey jobs than i've left amicably

horsey bosses can be infuriating and very unreasonable, horsey people generally bitchy and back stabbing............ unfortunately finding a good place to work in the industry is damn hard, and even when you think you've cracked it just give it 12 months..........

i hope you find something soon hun *hugs*
SexyBear77 Posted - 18/01/2010 : 20:19:36
Lol, amazing how I refrained from using choice words, looking back on it, I certainly did when I was outside having a fag!!
LittleMick Posted - 18/01/2010 : 19:22:56
Employees rights, I love 'em. I have on many occaisions threw my rights in managers faces when they think they can treat you like poo. Bummer that you didn't have a contract though, although they can be a pain, you don't have a leg to stand on if you haven't got one , I would have done what you did though with e few other choice words, lol.
SexyBear77 Posted - 18/01/2010 : 18:52:54
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

well done for standing up for yourself and the things you believe in!

there may also be a case for constructive dismissal here, have a read of this: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/RedundancyAndLeavingYourJob/Dismissal/DG_10026696 and if you think it would apply then make an appointment with your local CAB ;)

Many thanks for the link eeji, really interesting stuff! Unfortunately I didn't have a contract, as is common when working with horses, so there is not really a lot I could do about it.

I am just glad to finally be out of there, but I will admit I am feeling bad about Rufus...
eeji Posted - 18/01/2010 : 18:45:12
well done for standing up for yourself and the things you believe in!

there may also be a case for constructive dismissal here, have a read of this: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/RedundancyAndLeavingYourJob/Dismissal/DG_10026696 and if you think it would apply then make an appointment with your local CAB ;)
SexyBear77 Posted - 18/01/2010 : 17:14:43
Thanks for the love guys, the annoying thing is that she is all talk, and "I can do this, I can do that" but it is all rubbish, she is terrified of riding anything but something half dead. Lol, she really is something else!
HannahB Posted - 18/01/2010 : 16:35:08
good on you for telling her to shove it!!
after all the hard work you have put in with Rufus you'd think she'd show a bit of respect.. sounds like shes just after the money

hope you get somewhere better soon
n/a Posted - 18/01/2010 : 16:33:59
Your EX boss should be SHOT- If he/she knew ANYTHING about horses then they would know that if animal is Green THEN IT IS GREEN and should NOT be subject to exhibitions that Poor Rufus had to deal with today!

Ive seen alot of changes of the Horsey World in the last few years and the one that REALLY , REALLY make me angry- AND angry enough to actually drag a teenager OFF the horse that they were BEATING and crack them with the whip is the "Quick Fix" - so- instead of putting the time and effort in SCHOOLING the animal into an outline- lunging/working/long reining/schooling/BASIC turns/circles/balancing/in-hand ground work- the "Quick FIX"- slap it in draw reins or Abbott Davis/gag on bottom ring and HAUL on the poor animals mouth...RIDE FROM YOUR SEAT AND PUT THE EFFORT IN!!!

I think that You did the BEST that you could for Rufus and I also think that you did the BEST thing leaving- working with/for/IN a bitchy environment is just the worst thing- and then- after your spirit has been ground down you loose yourself and find that you Have Become One Of THEM!!! And then its almost too late...

You should be proud of your achievements with Rufus- breaking and schooling PROPERLY is NOT easy- If there was an easy QUICK FIX then Im pretty sure that at least the British Army would have found away to do it several hundred years ago!

*BIG HUGS*

xXxXxXx

n/a Posted - 18/01/2010 : 15:19:55
SB, you did not deserve to be treated the way you were by your ex-boss and her friends!
I’m not all horsey knowledged up but, if he has changed, being 10x better than he was since you have been schooling him, she should be kissing your feet! It seems she’s not because you aren’t as “hard” on them as she is and she does not like that *rolls eyes*

your boss should have paid attention to his temperament and not have put him in that situation, but then to give you a hard time for trying to calm him down amongst other things, arg to her!
i am glad you got out you can now find somewhere that will appreciate what you do!
newsnakekeeper Posted - 18/01/2010 : 15:02:42
SB that just aint on at all as you know the temprement of the horse why the heck did they treat u like that. No one else whould have know what the horse was like.

Good on u for not putting up with it no more how meny more people will ur ex boss do that to?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000