The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Handling

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kdlang Posted - 15/01/2010 : 00:04:30
I have to say, I am really enjoying my times handling Alice. There really is no other feeling like it. but what kind of things should I be doing with him while he is getting used to us handling him? I'm a bit paranoid about him getting lost so i try to make sure he stays on me altho he does venture off across the sofa occasionally. He seems to want to investigate every nook and cranny (its actually quite funny watching him try to squeeze his head into tiny gaps). I want to be able to relax more when I have him out so has anyone got any tips on helping us both get the most out of it.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 16/01/2010 : 12:19:41
Thanks for that hun, will most deffo give that a go. :)
Kellog Posted - 16/01/2010 : 06:18:58
quote:
Originally posted by godzchild9

Snickers like to slither in between the sections and under the custions, so I'm afraid for her to freelance on the sofa. I do put her on the rug and let her go. She pretty much stays where I can catch her if I need to so she doesn't get lost.

Be careful when you are letting Snickers go freelance on the rug, you would be amazed at how fast they can move when they decide to...and I would imagine it is a lot harder to catch a fast moving shoelace than it is to catch one of my adults. Even with Kellog I always keep a hand on him so he knows I am there and so I can dissuade him from moving in any direction I dont want him to go.

quote:
Originally posted by mom2mysononly

my son likes to put his snake on his bed, he has a double bed and steve loves gliding over it!! must admit this morning i had put a hessian bag on the bed while Steve was on it and he slid right over to it and climbed all over it, was really cool to watch him, he seemed to like the feel of the bag on his belly.

It is a good idea, if you are handling your snake on your bed, to put something like the hessian bag or a small towel heaped up on it...cos they love sliding around inside all the folds and you can let them go free but keep a watch on all sides to see which way they come out!

xxx

kdlang Posted - 15/01/2010 : 21:36:43
Alice is about 18 months old and according to his previous owner is used to being handled but lately hasn't had time to handle him often, hence why she decided to have her adopted. Thanks for your experiences. I feel mean by restricting his movements and I do try to allow him a bit of freedom to explore me and the sofa where I can get to him easily. But I think I am just really worried about losing him as he is so fast, especially as we have a dog and a cat in the house.
n/a Posted - 15/01/2010 : 16:39:03
my son likes to put his snake on his bed, he has a double bed and steve loves gliding over it!! must admit this morning i had put a hessian bag on the bed while Steve was on it and he slid right over to it and climbed all over it, was really cool to watch him, he seemed to like the feel of the bag on his belly.
n/a Posted - 15/01/2010 : 16:30:34
Snickers like to slither in between the sections and under the custions, so I'm afraid for her to freelance on the sofa. I do put her on the rug and let her go. She pretty much stays where I can catch her if I need to so she doesn't get lost.
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

I have to say, I am really enjoying my times handling Alice. There really is no other feeling like it. but what kind of things should I be doing with him while he is getting used to us handling him? I'm a bit paranoid about him getting lost so i try to make sure he stays on me altho he does venture off across the sofa occasionally. He seems to want to investigate every nook and cranny (its actually quite funny watching him try to squeeze his head into tiny gaps). I want to be able to relax more when I have him out so has anyone got any tips on helping us both get the most out of it.

Kellog Posted - 15/01/2010 : 05:57:37
It really is just a case of time and patience and you both getting used to each other.

I am not the best person to answer this as I have only dealt with adult corns, but Silvesta was hardly handled by his previous owner so behaves in a way that I would think is pretty near the way a hatchling behaves. I am doing the same with him as you have been doing with Alice, keeping him near my body and letting him run through my hands. I am slowly letting him slither around my body more as he calms down. He is exactly the same about wanting to dive down every nook and cranny....which is a worry because if they do manage to find a way into a sofa or chair you would be ripping it apart to get them out.

Maybe you could try handling him (Alice) on your bed...to give him more freedom and you less stress as there are less places for him to disappear to. Remember to cover it with a towel in case of unexpected 'gifts'.

Even with Kellog, who I can let roam the floor and furniture now, I always have a hand on him ready to grab him and just to remind him that I am there, because even he will suddenly head for under the sofa or behind the bookshelf.

Sorry this hasnt been much help, but I do think it is just a case of time...to get used to handling Alice and to allow him to grow as well. Am sure those with little ones will be able to help you much more.

xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000