The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 The story of the new snake....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 12/01/2010 : 13:06:24
Hi all.
I’m getting another corn! There’s a bit of a story behind it though. I certainly hadn’t planned on getting another one, although I am getting some other snakes fairly soon....more on that later.

I have a friend who’s a policeman in Brum. He used to keep snakes but now focuses on lizards, geckos etc. A couple of months or so ago he was just about to go off duty when he had a call from a colleague who was at the house of a very scared man who’d found a ‘giant’ snake under his sink. When he arrived said giant turned out to be a 5 foot adult Corn! The guy wanted the snake gone so my friend took snakey home to give it a bit of TLC. After the requisite ‘claiming period’ passed with no word from the original owner, my friend took the snake back to the scared man and, by law, the snake was now his. The terrified new owner said he didn’t want the snake under any circumstances and begged my fried to keep it!! As I said, he’s not ‘into’ snakes anymore so he called and asked if I had room for another. Hey presto....new corn.

He’s visually identified her as female (doesn’t mean a lot) and he’s 99% sure she’s a Miami (Normal patterning but greyer bodied....sound like a Miami to you?). She’s feeding well, shed once, mite free and happy to be handled so, fingers crossed, she does well with us.

We are also collecting another Royal later this month and next month we’re (hopefully) getting a very special snake (who will need no introduction to some of you). Watch this space! xx
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 14/01/2010 : 04:02:51
Glad you got home safe and sound Sally-Anne , and very glad that 'The Stig' (why am I not surprised by the choice of name! ) is also safe now....especially as your friend's memory seems to be playing him up in regard to snake keeping.

Will look forward to pics, but even more to an update on how he is doing.

Sorry, going to be calling 'it' a 'he' cos cant call 'The Stig' 'she' and hate using 'it'....if that makes any sense at all!! (it is 4am, so give me a break )

xxx
n/a Posted - 13/01/2010 : 23:42:18
Finally home!!! (getting to Brum from Leicester this evening was about as easy as getting to the dark side of the moon).

The Stig (for that is now his/her name) was quite happy to be touched/looked at/transfered. I have one or two issues with it's condition which I will be taking better stock of in the morning before I make any judgements. Lets just say that right now it's looking like my friend has forgotten a lot about snake keeping in the 3 years since he last had one.

Also I don't think it's a Miami, it looks to me like a really grey Normal (which I know a Miami kind of does...but not like this) but I'll have a thorough look tomorrow and post a couple of pics.

Generally though, he's happy, in ok shape and curled up in a nice warm hide having a kip. Which is what I'm about to do too. Keep you posted...G'nite all xx
n/a Posted - 13/01/2010 : 14:07:19
LOL....Awww Phil...empty vivs? Once your babies start popping out they won't be empty for long!

I'm not remotely fussed about the sex but the kids think it's very important for naming purposes, lol. The last snake to enter our house got named Snuggles so I shudder to think what they'll come up with next (new rule in our house; Kids get to name Corns whatever they like but Mummy and Daddy get to name anything else!).

Luckily Rob (the plod!) had quite a lot of surplus stuff and he has her in a nice viv & set up which will come with her. I've got a heatmat under a RUB warming at the moment though, incase set-up takes a while when we get home. Not ideal to have to bring her home and set it all at the same time but wasn't anything else we could do.

We're also bringing home his 3 stack viv which, if I'm honest, I'm almost as excited about as the snake!!! Been told that she's been very happy to be handled which I'm pleased about but I'll still give her the 'hands off' for a week. I'll try and get some sneaky pics in before we put her in her viv though, I promise!!! Apparently the weather in Brum is a bit pooh so God knows what time we'll get home. I may be gone for some time..........! xx
HannahB Posted - 13/01/2010 : 11:29:04
oooh congrats

am looking forwards to seeing pics of all the new arrivals including the 'special snake'
Kellog Posted - 13/01/2010 : 03:29:53
I feel sorry for the poor man who found the GIANT snake under his sink ! But werent you lucky it was your friend who responded to that call!

I cant wait to be introduced to this new snake properly. Are you bothered about the sex? If you are not planning on breeding from it then maybe you can just accept it for what it is! Did it come with all the necessary 'kit'? Hope so. How handlable is it or are you in the one-week period??

Congratulations on your new family member...and cant wait to find out what your special snake is!

xxx
n/a Posted - 12/01/2010 : 19:33:33
I'm jealous. Can't wait to see it.
quote:
Originally posted by bbsmog

Hi all.
I’m getting another corn! There’s a bit of a story behind it though. I certainly hadn’t planned on getting another one, although I am getting some other snakes fairly soon....more on that later.

I have a friend who’s a policeman in Brum. He used to keep snakes but now focuses on lizards, geckos etc. A couple of months or so ago he was just about to go off duty when he had a call from a colleague who was at the house of a very scared man who’d found a ‘giant’ snake under his sink. When he arrived said giant turned out to be a 5 foot adult Corn! The guy wanted the snake gone so my friend took snakey home to give it a bit of TLC. After the requisite ‘claiming period’ passed with no word from the original owner, my friend took the snake back to the scared man and, by law, the snake was now his. The terrified new owner said he didn’t want the snake under any circumstances and begged my fried to keep it!! As I said, he’s not ‘into’ snakes anymore so he called and asked if I had room for another. Hey presto....new corn.

He’s visually identified her as female (doesn’t mean a lot) and he’s 99% sure she’s a Miami (Normal patterning but greyer bodied....sound like a Miami to you?). She’s feeding well, shed once, mite free and happy to be handled so, fingers crossed, she does well with us.

We are also collecting another Royal later this month and next month we’re (hopefully) getting a very special snake (who will need no introduction to some of you). Watch this space! xx

n/a Posted - 12/01/2010 : 18:30:53
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

What are you getting that for??
I seriously think that you shouldn't bother. (I do know someone with a couple of empty vivs though )

HAHA!

Great story!
Fantastic that Snakey has found a loving home!

xXx
Kehhlyr Posted - 12/01/2010 : 15:18:48
What are you getting that for??
I seriously think that you shouldn't bother. (I do know someone with a couple of empty vivs though )
n/a Posted - 12/01/2010 : 15:02:00

Wow, what a story!

Yeah, s/he does sound like a Miami, and if you want to know for sure whether it's a he or a she, get her probed.

Congratulations, Miamis are great!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000