The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Feeding question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jo-And-Danny Posted - 11/01/2010 : 11:23:07
We've fed both our snakes every 6 days but Cinnamon is on small/medium fuzzies now. should we still feed him every 6 days and should we just feed him the 1 fuzzy, while Hisslehoff is on 3 pinkies
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jo-And-Danny Posted - 11/01/2010 : 14:49:39
I will give him the next couple of feeds on pinkies then to get rid of them then i'l put them both on fuzzies
SexyBear77 Posted - 11/01/2010 : 14:36:48
1 fuzzy will be better for him than 3 pinkies though, and will be about equal in weight. It makes sense to move him up, if he is eating 3 quite happily.
Jo-And-Danny Posted - 11/01/2010 : 14:32:56
Thanks for all the info

I do keep weight and length charts for both snakes, but cinnamon is a good 4" bigger than Hisslehoff and a bit wider. When we had them sexed a few weeks ago we was told to feed them both 3 pinkies and that cinnamon would be ready for fuzzies about January time, but seen as Hisslehoff is a slimmer snake and there is still quite a bump in him with his pinkies we didnt think he was quite ready for the next size. He's had no problems on 3 pinkies, he's ate them every time and not brought them back up.
Kellog Posted - 11/01/2010 : 12:21:21
SexyBear is right Jo-and-Danny. It is better to feed one fuzzie rather than 3 pinkies.

As SB asked, do you know Hisslehoff's and Cinnamon's weight, as that is a good guide as to what they should be feeding on. I have also taken to weighing the mice I feed to Kellog and Silvesta so I know what they are consuming rather than just the given name for the mouse size. Although Silvesta is feeding once a week on 2 medium mice he is actually eating the same weight in mice as Kellog, who is being fed one jumbo mouse once every 10 days. But this is necessary cos he is younger than Kellog and not large enough to move up in size yet.

I hope this is helpful but please do bear in mind that it is just a guide -

1 Pinkie (2-3g) every 5-6 days (Snake = 4-15g)
2 Pinkies (3-4g) every 5-6 days (Snake = 16-23g)
Small Fuzzy (5-7g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 24-30g)
Fuzzy (7-9g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
Fluff/Hoppers (9-12g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 51-90g)
Small Adult/Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
Adult (20-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+)

To give you an idea of what they look like - http://www.canberraexotics.com.au/admin/photos/frozen%20mouse%20chart.jpg

The guide for feeding is 1.5 times the width of the snake, thats a maximum size.

You can work out if Hisslehoff and Cinnamon need to move up in size when there is no longer a bump once they have eated their 'dinner'.

xxx
SexyBear77 Posted - 11/01/2010 : 12:06:16
Is Hisselhoff is on 3 pinkies he could probably move onto fuzzies. As for Cinnamon, every 6-7 days sounds fine for having a single fuzzy.

Have you been keeping weight records for the both of them? and size records?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000