The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Just quick Update on Ellijah

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LittleMick Posted - 26/12/2009 : 00:22:18
Thought I would just post a quick update on Elijah and ask some opinions on his weight and length for his age.

Born : JUL09
Length : 15.7"
Weight : 11g
FEEDING : 2 x pm (1-2g each)

Quite a few of the pinkies on the last 2 feeds seem to be really small and barely made a bump so I gave him 2 on his last 2 feeds.

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LittleMick Posted - 19/01/2010 : 22:31:04
Grrr, bloomin' local RC done me again!!!! I told them I wanted either some arge pinkies 3-4g or some small fuzzies, I looked at their fuzzies and they looked mahoosive, so I went with the pinkies, anyway I weighed them all today and they are bloody 2g again. Luckily I only bought 10.
Elijahs stats now after 10days (2 feeds)

Born : JUL09
Length : 17.2"
Weight : 15g
Feeding : 2 x pm

So this means if I keep the current batch of pinkies there will be no change in his growth rate. A few options I am thinking are

- Change is feeds to 2 x pm every 4 days with the current batch 2g per pinky
- Feed him 3 pinkies per feed, doesn't sound good to me
- Bin the current batch and and take my bloomin scales down to the LRC and measure them as they are bagging them to get my 3-4g worth
- Have a bash at a fuzzie, but they really do look too big

If anyone has any images of a size comparison between a fuzzy and a corn and that ideal legth/weight would be great, I have seen the images with a ruler under them, but the fuzzies in the store look wayyyy bigger than that one in the size comparison image.

LM
LittleMick Posted - 10/01/2010 : 05:42:36
Well I've been keeping him on 2 pinkies for the last 5 feeds. Pinkies are about 2g each. He has about 2 more feeds on these which is the ast lot of tha batch. I got some more today but they are larger, 4g each, although physically they seem only slighty larger than the others. But I'll keep feeding these until he is about 20g then move onto fuzzies.
So in approx 2 weeks these are his measurements

2 pm per feed every 5 days
14g
16.3"

Hope those are better. I was going to get some fuzzies btu when I saw the size of them I thought they were wayyyyy too big for him, they were like 3 - 4 times the size of his head, so I figured I would go by that size guide that I saw on this site.
gingerpony Posted - 28/12/2009 : 20:02:55
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

...Still a little skittish on the initial touch...

if you can gradually increase the amount you're feeding him and feed about every 5 days you might find he chills out even more
LittleMick Posted - 28/12/2009 : 19:52:59
Thanks for the advice peeps. The original pinkies were quite big, just seems on one of the feeds it was quite small, so I checked out what was lft in the bag and saw the rest of them are also small. So that's why I went onto 2 pinkies, I wasn't expecting him to move up a level so soon. I'll keep him on 2 pinkies until the end of this bag and see how he is doing.

Other than being sllightly under weight he is doing great. Still a little skittish on the initial touch but once he is in my hand he is calm as anything.
gingerpony Posted - 27/12/2009 : 21:53:41
he could be more 'grown-on' for his age but overfeeding or power feeding is just as bad as not feeding enough!

i'd stick to 2 pinkies for a while and then move up to a fuzzy PROVIDING its not more than 1.5 times the width of his body at it's widest point. but make sure you make any changes in diet gradually, feeding 2-3 pinkies is good preparation for moving up a size
HannahB Posted - 27/12/2009 : 14:57:07
keep him on two pinkies for a while as i think it will help him weight wise,
before i moved edison up onto 2 pinkies he was tiny and a shoestring but on xmas day i held him and really noticed his increase in size and length
Sammysnake Posted - 27/12/2009 : 09:22:36
Just for comparison, Twilight is also July09. He is 20 inches long and weighs 30g. He went onto two small pinkies in late October gradually moving up in size each feed and then onto a fuzzie in late November.

I don't know if he is an average size or not but I can tell you he is growing at a fast rate since moving up in food sizes. On 12th October Twilight was 15 inches and 14g so not far off Elijah's current measurements.

Hope this helps.
n/a Posted - 26/12/2009 : 21:58:34

Weight is too low for his age, and you're saying the pinkies hardly leave a bump, so time to give him larger pinkies, and certainly, keep him on two pinkies from now on.

How is he otherwise? Lively and active?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000