The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Acorn nearly died!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 21/12/2009 : 12:16:31
Oh god I'm so upset!!
I've had to move to my BFs and his parents are scared of snakes so had to put Acorn's RUB in the laurdary room which gets quite cold.
Shes on a heat mat and that was at 29.5C but her cold hid was very cold but obviously there must have been something she didn't like about the warm side as she stayed under her water bowl(cold side) all last night, that I could tell. Checked her this morning and she was ok but just went out and she was all limp and freezing!!!!
I've got her round my neck now and shes warming up nicely and starting to move around, her breathing sounds ok but am worried she could get RI now or anyting else bad!
Thank god I didn't feed her this week as I knew I was moving her!
Should I just warm her up slowly now and hope for the best?
Is there anything else I can do?!
I have obviously told his parents that she HAS to be inside now or she will not make it. I feel so bad, I was sure she would stay on the mat if the cold end got too cold. I feel so bad for her...
Think his mum has just got back so got to go tell her the bad news...
Any advice as to whether she should be ok or what to do I love to hear!
Thank you
Jen & poor cold Acorn :( x
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 22/12/2009 : 22:43:15
if there's something about the warm end the snake doesn't like how about just moving the mat to the other side of the viv and heating the opposite end? something that simple could be the answer

although for extremely cold situations either another mat for the cold end, on a separate (or twin) stat set to about 20*C, or using a ceramic which will heat the ai,r are both options.
reptiledanny Posted - 21/12/2009 : 17:10:12
got a dog, my type are meant to be great sniffer dogs, coker spaniel, nut he is hopeless. can't even smell were his dinner is.
n/a Posted - 21/12/2009 : 16:38:59
I'm sorry didn't realise you still hadn't found him :(
BIt don't give up home, my friend lost her cornsnake for nearly a year!
It just turned up one day none the worst, just a bit smaller than you would have expected for that age, and a bit fiesty!
Soon started catching up in size though as was a great feeder after its little bout of freedom!
Just keep up with the bottle traps and try the flour in door ways, and maybe masking take in doorways.
Just a thought, have you got a dog? or a friend's you could borrow? wonder if it might sniff him out?
reptiledanny Posted - 21/12/2009 : 16:08:49
ye, monty was great. he was stubborn at times but so loving in his own little way.
n/a Posted - 21/12/2009 : 16:05:46
Thanks I'll leave her alone probably till boxing day now.
I like to think she was grateful to see me when i got her out because although she couldn't move at first she managed to stick her tongue out really slowly then back in, then she just curled up under my jumper.
After about 20mins she stuck her head out my sleeve to watch me set up her RUB upstairs then when she decided it was ready she just slid inside! She's so cute :D
Monty sounds very similar to Acorn, stubborn! I always put her back near her warm hide after a feed but she always turns round then goes straight to her cold hide! lol x
reptiledanny Posted - 21/12/2009 : 15:42:14
sometimes they just won't be warm wen you wont them to be. with monty sometimes wen i would get him owt he would be cold cux he was in his cold hode. i would keep him owt for a bit and then put him bak in his warm hide and then he would slither wt and go in his cold hide. it used to annoy me cuz i new he was cold but i left him to it. i would still leave her for a feed just so she can get back to her regular self and her body become warm again and then feed her. give her 2-3 days.
n/a Posted - 21/12/2009 : 15:24:06
Thanks danny :D
I'm lucky, they are being really nice about it!
His mum's home and shes fine about her being in the bedroom until we can get her her wooden viv sorted and see if that would hold the temps up!
Acorn looks quite happy at the moment thank god!
Shes having a good mooch around her nicely warmed RUB now :)
I won't stop worrying about her now for a good few days, wasn't going to feed her for a week after the move to let her settle am I guessing right that that still a good idea?
I'm sooo lucky not to have lost her!
I guess if she was any younger or unhealthier she wouldn't have been so lucky.
I hate being cold myself so hate to think of her being that cold! I do wonder what was so wrong with her warm hide that she wouldn't use it...?
Thanks for all your support! xxx
reptiledanny Posted - 21/12/2009 : 14:52:39
oh my god im so sorry, gd thing you checked on her wen you did, just be thourough with the parents and insist that they let her ack upstairs, is a boyfriends house, if so then tell him that you will leave he doesn't let you bring her in, . hope she will b ok, hopefully no RI
hillzi Posted - 21/12/2009 : 13:10:24
I'm having the same problem.

I'm using a stat and mat for both cool and hot ends.
n/a Posted - 21/12/2009 : 13:02:25
She seems ok now thank god!
How slowly is slowly?
I put her straight round my neck and she was there for about 30 mins while I moved her RUB upstairs that seemed to warm her up nicely, have taken her off now though as I believe I neck may be too warm and shes back in her RUB with heat matt and stat on, thermometer is reading 20C, should I turn stat down and leave it at 20 for a bit?
Measured room temp in that room and was freezing at 6C!!! I feel sooo dumb, won't forgive myself if something happens to her now.
I hope her RUB was a bit warmer than that as it had a blanket around it.
Going to get her a wooden viv sorted with a ceramic if they insist on her being in there as hopefully the cermaic will warm the air temp up in there.
Wish I had a spare stat and mat to put a second mat in the RUB but I don't plus I guess the air would still be too cold.
They are going to have to be ok with her being in the house for now!
Poor thing :(
matty18714 Posted - 21/12/2009 : 12:25:55
Hopefully she will be fine. Warm her up slowly.
a33272 Posted - 21/12/2009 : 12:21:53
im sure she will be ok, if it really is getting that cold you could put another heat mat at cold end on a low setting

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000