The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Why are we sterotyped?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hillzi Posted - 11/12/2009 : 21:50:53
So, two accounts today at school for being called 'wierd' not only by my friends but by teachers..

Once in geography, wer'e doing weather and I answered his question what measured humidity? How did you know that? Well, I've got a pet snake...

Ah right. People laughed and sniggered.. i was like WTF? In middle of lesson, yes..

Same again in biology, we were having a lesson on genetics, and dominant, recessive genes and the title was hetogrynos (sp?) and i said the plants likely to be red, because reds the dominate gene here, yet it can produce yellow offspring later on and it has the gene.
Bit of snakey knowledge that. Again, answered how i knew, and peopled laughed...

I wonder what it is about snakes that people find 'wierd'?..

I'm getting a bit tired of the remarks. I guess its just my age though..
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
reptiledanny Posted - 18/12/2009 : 19:15:26
lol, thats a good one. must get my mum to try that one. see wat they.
Flatpack63 Posted - 18/12/2009 : 18:57:13
I once got off work early by saying that I had to feed my snake that night.
After the usual" What does it eat" questions, I thought I'd throw in " need to go early 'cos you wouldn't like to see a hungry, angry snake".
Needless to say, I was allowed home there and then.
Kellog Posted - 17/12/2009 : 05:19:22
Its strange...my kids havent had any bad reactions at all to having a snake, other than the occasional 'eww', especially when they talk about feeding. If anything they are converting their friends to snake lovers at the rate of knots!

xxx
PunkAsF82 Posted - 15/12/2009 : 08:59:44
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

I don't think I get picked on, but that might be because I've always been a weirdo anyway, so they expect me to have a exotic pet like a snake anyway.

It's the toad keeping that gets the most funny looks.

I'll agree wit hyou on this Kaz. I've always been the ffreaaak so people kinda jsut shrug and go "oh a lizard. not really a surpsie"

it's when i list off the 7 chickens, horse, fish, and the rest of the zoo that their jaws start to drop lol
hillzi Posted - 14/12/2009 : 14:39:25
I told him kindly, to shut up, but ruder..

One goes to me a few weeks ago, he lives on farm.

Him: "you stabbed them for me yet?"
Me: "you stabbed your cows yet? made me my burgers yet?"
Him: "no.. freak"
Me: "exactly.."

n/a Posted - 14/12/2009 : 11:12:15

Hillzi. Ignore the laughs and the sniggers. You're out of their frame of reference, and even those who pride themselves on being open to unusual things or "different" people aren't always willing to accept those things they themselves don't agree or approve of. You are not there to please anyone and you don't need anyone else's approval to be who you are. Only, choose your friends carefully and always prefer to be called a wierdo to your face rather than have someone pretend to be your friend and then call you a wierdo behind your back.

P.S. If any of your teachers ridicules you, complain to the head of the year or even higher up.

lmfastcars Posted - 13/12/2009 : 22:40:24
lol i was just reading through this post and i was thinking that i would tell peoplethat it could munch them up in seconds llol :D good tactic
n/a Posted - 13/12/2009 : 17:53:43
I HATE TOADS! I have one in my garden when it opens it's mouth I think it's gonna eat me!!!!!
n/a Posted - 13/12/2009 : 17:51:58
Well I think you're awesome, they're jealous because you're smarter than them but you're also more unique and interesting. At least your not a boring old clone!
I brought my pet garden snail herby to school a few weeks ago because her shell had cracked and i had to keep an eye on her and bath her regurly and make sure she was eating. she's really tiny so i put her in a little tubaware box and looked after her secretly in the toilets :)
But I got a bit big for my boots and she was crawling on my hands under the table in english and someone saw the whole class was freaking out (i got to an all girls school)
You could always tell people that your snake is deadly so they have to be nice to you!
hillzi Posted - 13/12/2009 : 16:32:51
Agreed Cat, I am scared to death of spids!!

Just plain ignorance and mis understanding is pathetic.
n/a Posted - 13/12/2009 : 16:16:35
yeh i get it all the time! im a real girly girl and most of my friends are so u can imagine the reactions i get from them! Im also a student nurse and have been warned by lecturers about the whole salmonella thing but the lecturer who told me could barely say snakes without shuddering, she was that scared! Xx
n/a Posted - 13/12/2009 : 12:36:24
I think just letting people know a little bit about them is always the way to win them over.

My sister is terrified of anything that isn't "cute and cuddly" my eldest neice is much the same but my youngest neice is so curious she couldn't wait to hold my leopard gecko. When asked what the eldest was scared of4 she said "it's gonna eat me!" to which I replied, "it can't eat you, it's to small and has no teeth" after about 5 minutes of watching her little sister giggling as he stumbled through her hands she 0realised she was missing out.

Since that incident my tact has been blunt, but I don't see how people can laugh at you for having snakes... I would just give a very quick and blunt responce. Try to turn things on them, like the post earlier by Hillzi.

Twi Posted - 13/12/2009 : 11:28:42
lol my main midwife is scared of ginger, the other one loves her asks me to get her out so she can see her. The most i've been asked is "How can you stand touching those, aren't they slimey"
n/a Posted - 13/12/2009 : 10:40:02
I LOVE Toads!
xXx
Kazerella Posted - 13/12/2009 : 09:52:08
You must be joking - my phibs are always doing something and they are great to watch. You should get some salamanders - hours of fun
LittleMick Posted - 13/12/2009 : 00:16:06
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

I don't think I get picked on, but that might be because I've always been a weirdo anyway, so they expect me to have a exotic pet like a snake anyway.

As much as I love all animals a toad never appealled to me, one of the reasons I bought all my pets was for behavioural studies and Phibs don't seem to do anything, but then again I don't suppoes I have spent long enough time watching.
Kazerella Posted - 12/12/2009 : 22:14:56

eeji Posted - 12/12/2009 : 20:25:16
quote:
Originally posted by CAL

I don't get a lot of stick for it - just a lot of innuendo, but there again everything generates innuendo in the steelworks.

I did once teach an Oxygen Administration at home and the student was a huge (like 6ft 4" and 17 stone)fitter - scared of no one, but doesn't like snakes. We agreed that if he concentrated on the course and passed the snake wouldn't come out. Needless to say he passed with flying colours, I've never had a student concentrate as much before.

The quickest someone has every exited our house was a Salvation Army collector who walked around the back and the first thing she saw was a pair of boots swinging 6" off the ground. I had hung my drysuit up to dry it - but she thought someone had hung themselves...

i must get myself a dry suit!
n/a Posted - 12/12/2009 : 14:35:47
Hillzi- its just peoples ignorance!
Ignore them all and be Happy Doing What You DO!!
My work colleagues are actually interested in Slinky-T-F-B and ask after her every morning- wanting to know when the next feeding day is? Has she shed yet? Has she grown overnight? My Supervisor has also asked if she can her children round to handle her when she is older!
:)
xXx
CAL Posted - 12/12/2009 : 11:29:54
I don't get a lot of stick for it - just a lot of innuendo, but there again everything generates innuendo in the steelworks.

I did once teach an Oxygen Administration at home and the student was a huge (like 6ft 4" and 17 stone)fitter - scared of no one, but doesn't like snakes. We agreed that if he concentrated on the course and passed the snake wouldn't come out. Needless to say he passed with flying colours, I've never had a student concentrate as much before.

The quickest someone has every exited our house was a Salvation Army collector who walked around the back and the first thing she saw was a pair of boots swinging 6" off the ground. I had hung my drysuit up to dry it - but she thought someone had hung themselves...

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000