The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 how to heat a wooden vivarium?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
reptiledanny Posted - 24/11/2009 : 19:00:34
how would i heat a wooden vivarium that is 4ft long for a corn snake. wat heat do i need, heat mat, lamp, wat do i need and how do i heat it. wat do i need in the viv, substrate, hides, one on iether end, plants, logs, is there anything else? help
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
a33272 Posted - 24/11/2009 : 21:08:15
with a wooden viv mat goes inside under substrate, my stat probe is directly ontop of my mat so it never gets to hot for her to burn herself
n/a Posted - 24/11/2009 : 20:42:17
i use a heat bulb, never used a mat so i cannot compare them, but personally i do think a bulb does the trick quite nicely

i use a 100w Black Magic Ceramic Bulb for my 3ft viv, but you would need a higher wattage for a 4ft viv.
you dont need a ceramic, but i use it because it doesnt give off light
reptiledanny Posted - 24/11/2009 : 20:33:46
were would you put the mat though, in the tank under the substrate or under the viv. if under the substrate surely snakey can dig down to the heat source and burn themselves, under the viv, hardly any heat gets to them? wat about heat bulb, ceramic ones?
a33272 Posted - 24/11/2009 : 19:30:11
agree with above make sure you get a stat on the mat even if the shop say u dont need it, deffo need a thermometor at hot end, cold end isnt as important as cold end is pretty much it is what it is but most people like to know
Tizzy Posted - 24/11/2009 : 19:13:45
I have 2 4ft vivs for corns, all they need to maintain the right temps is a heatmat and stat (think my mats are about 15" x10")
You'll also need
hides at each end,
Thermometers at each end (digis, dial ones are rubbish)
substrate of your choice,
Water Dish (big enough for snakey to soak in)
Bit of texture to rub against to start off a shed.

You may also want to add, bark, vines, logs plants, rocks, lighting but this are not the essentials, it just the difference between 5* hotel or travel lodge.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000