The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 What substrate can I use?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 22/11/2009 : 16:33:13
Hi guys, so I've just received the good news of my corn being able to come home Yay, how ever I want to use chippings but not sure which ones to stay away from and which ones that are good to use. I would really like her home to look like real ground, but not use soil but a dark wood chipping. I'm not keen on only having aspen as a sub, would like to change it a bit to keep her active you know.

Also I know A guy posted up the different chippings and substrate up here but cant seem to find the topic any where. Thanks guys. Once My camera has comes back from SOUTH AFRICA I will defo load some pics up.

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 06/02/2010 : 16:40:41
aubiose is made from hemp core too so its made from the same stuff. So long as it doesn't contain 'perfume/air freshener' (sorry, i don't know what horsey people would call it!) and its no too dusty then you should be fine with it.
SexyBear77 Posted - 06/02/2010 : 09:59:42
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Sorry to bump an old topic but thought I would do that rather than start a new one. Sent OH out to buy some Aubiose (after a lot of subtle manipulation and blackmail ) from a fairly local horse place and he came home with the english version...some excuse about all the Aubiose being wet.

What he came back with is Hemcore (bedding from soft core part of hemp plant stem). Anyone come across this and is it ok to use as a substrate for my 'boys'? Dont just want to assume even though it is supposedly exactly the same as Aubiose, so any comments greatly appreciated.

xxx

I've got a bag of hemcore Ju, had no problems with it and it looks very nice.
Kellog Posted - 06/02/2010 : 04:47:39
Sorry to bump an old topic but thought I would do that rather than start a new one. Sent OH out to buy some Aubiose (after a lot of subtle manipulation and blackmail ) from a fairly local horse place and he came home with the english version...some excuse about all the Aubiose being wet.

What he came back with is Hemcore (bedding from soft core part of hemp plant stem). Anyone come across this and is it ok to use as a substrate for my 'boys'? Dont just want to assume even though it is supposedly exactly the same as Aubiose, so any comments greatly appreciated.

xxx
hiper2009 Posted - 26/11/2009 : 22:45:10
quote:
Originally posted by Tizzy

quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

Wheres the best place to buy Orchid Bark from and how much would it cost ??

Local rep shop is about a fiver for a 5kg bag, it can be cheaper online but with the P&P it's often not worth ordering online

I paid £5.98 for a 100 ltr bag from B&Q Bargin !!
Tizzy Posted - 26/11/2009 : 21:33:17
quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

Local rep shop is about a fiver for a 5kg bag, it can be cheaper online but with the P&P it's often not worth ordering online
SexyBear77 Posted - 25/11/2009 : 23:57:53
quote:
Originally posted by Roguescott

No my cousin has gone there for a documentry for uni, so she's checking out the wild life there in comparison to the ones in captivity over here... we both hate ZOOs and wished they did exsit............. But it was in caps cause she's been gone for so long now.... two months.... lol....
Thanks for all your comment and again off subject of substarte but does london hold SNAKE SHOWS/REPTILE SHOWS I'ld love to attend but new to this so don't know much.
thanks again with all your help dudes and dudettes. xoxo.

quote:

Sorry about change of subject Rogue, but couldnt hlp but notice the South Africa mention (mainly cos you put it in caps)! Did you live there, been on holiday, where?? Reason for asking is I used to live there and my twin and brother still do - though I wish they didnt.....

xxx

Lucky cousin, would love to do that, though I think our views on zoos may differ slightly.
hiper2009 Posted - 25/11/2009 : 23:49:20
hillzi Posted - 25/11/2009 : 22:00:39
They do look very good for the natural look, esp with the coconut hide!

Scott, theres a show annually in October in Portsmouth, Hampshire. can't remember the date. if you find any i'd like to know
n/a Posted - 25/11/2009 : 16:45:43
Thats the look I'm going for, something that you could imagine in the wild. Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by Tizzy

I love orchid bark, i use it in all my vivs maily coz it's suitable for the all my lizards and snakes and i buy a huge sack at a time (£25 but that lasts ages). It's light enough for even young 'uns to dig through and it doesn't go mouldy if it gets wet (i had a problem with beach chippings going mouldy under and around the beardies water dish). Yes it can be quite wet when you first get it but i keep the sack next to the hot end off my big stack so it's usually dried out a fair bit by the time i use it anyway. Other methods to dry it out are baking in the oven or putting in the microwave (i have 25 feet of vivs to fill so it would take days to cook the amount needed). Orchid bark can also be handy when you want to raise the humidity around shedding time too and i personally like the darker colour. The pic below is my 5 month old non feeders set up but it gives you an ides of how it looks in a viv.

I'm not keen on aspen as i find it gets everywhere, and as i mentioned had problems with beach chips. My second fav substrate is lining paper, partly because i was give a trade box free bujt mainly because it's just so much quicker and easier to clean the vivs when they have paper in so i used it over the summer when i was super busy with all the corn hatclings and baby leos but as all my vivs are in my living room i always end up going back to Orchid bark just because i think it looks better.

n/a Posted - 25/11/2009 : 16:43:23
I am so sorry....... I would make it up to you but this is a forum Maybe I'll say "YOUR THRED ROCKED AND I FOUND IT AGAIN, THANKS FOR YOUR HELP" are you at ease now lol xoxo

quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:

Also I know A guy posted up the different chippings and substrate up here but cant seem to find the topic any where.

when did i have a sex change??

and thanks for finding the sticky BE

to the OP - if you tick the box to include archived posts when you're searching you'll find more info on your chosen topic

n/a Posted - 25/11/2009 : 16:41:34
No my cousin has gone there for a documentry for uni, so she's checking out the wild life there in comparison to the ones in captivity over here... we both hate ZOOs and wished they did exsit............. But it was in caps cause she's been gone for so long now.... two months.... lol....
Thanks for all your comment and again off subject of substarte but does london hold SNAKE SHOWS/REPTILE SHOWS I'ld love to attend but new to this so don't know much.
thanks again with all your help dudes and dudettes. xoxo.

quote:

Sorry about change of subject Rogue, but couldnt hlp but notice the South Africa mention (mainly cos you put it in caps)! Did you live there, been on holiday, where?? Reason for asking is I used to live there and my twin and brother still do - though I wish they didnt.....

xxx

gingerpony Posted - 23/11/2009 : 21:01:19
quote:

Also I know A guy posted up the different chippings and substrate up here but cant seem to find the topic any where.

when did i have a sex change??

and thanks for finding the sticky BE

to the OP - if you tick the box to include archived posts when you're searching you'll find more info on your chosen topic
hillzi Posted - 23/11/2009 : 20:49:34
I use newspaper, cheap and easy to replace.

I mixed beech chippings and aspen before to use up my left over substrate, Blaze loved digging!
Blackecho Posted - 23/11/2009 : 18:23:39
Yep, Aubiose(£9 for 25kg!) for me now, used to be Aspen.
eeji Posted - 23/11/2009 : 16:28:26
hemp for my lot and kitchen roll for the little 'uns
Tizzy Posted - 23/11/2009 : 16:11:01
I love orchid bark, i use it in all my vivs maily coz it's suitable for the all my lizards and snakes and i buy a huge sack at a time (£25 but that lasts ages). It's light enough for even young 'uns to dig through and it doesn't go mouldy if it gets wet (i had a problem with beach chippings going mouldy under and around the beardies water dish). Yes it can be quite wet when you first get it but i keep the sack next to the hot end off my big stack so it's usually dried out a fair bit by the time i use it anyway. Other methods to dry it out are baking in the oven or putting in the microwave (i have 25 feet of vivs to fill so it would take days to cook the amount needed). Orchid bark can also be handy when you want to raise the humidity around shedding time too and i personally like the darker colour. The pic below is my 5 month old non feeders set up but it gives you an ides of how it looks in a viv.

I'm not keen on aspen as i find it gets everywhere, and as i mentioned had problems with beach chips. My second fav substrate is lining paper, partly because i was give a trade box free bujt mainly because it's just so much quicker and easier to clean the vivs when they have paper in so i used it over the summer when i was super busy with all the corn hatclings and baby leos but as all my vivs are in my living room i always end up going back to Orchid bark just because i think it looks better.

Blackecho Posted - 23/11/2009 : 13:18:03
quote:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1876
Kellog Posted - 23/11/2009 : 04:31:59

xxx
HannahB Posted - 22/11/2009 : 17:36:32
like sb said, aspen, beech chippings, newspaper and kitchen towel are the best things for corns although some people on here use hemp which is similar i think to aspen and it works just as well.
if you choose to use orchid bark make sure you dry it out in the oven before using it as it does raise the humidity which could cause respiratory problems

I use shredded paper in my corns and royals which they love and my king is on aspen
SexyBear77 Posted - 22/11/2009 : 16:41:25
Hey

The best substrates for corns are aspen, beech chippings, newspaper, shredded paper or kitchen towel. Aspen does look authentic with the right decor!

If you are keen on something dark then orchid bark may be good, it is dark and very good looking, but it can cause too much humidity for corns. I think you can stick it in the oven for a while though to dry it out a bit.

Hope this helps x

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000