The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 20/11/2009 : 23:54:54
hi all,ive just been given a corn snake ,its about 18mths old and not used to being handled and its very vicious ,ive no idea about them or how to tame them i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice cheers kev
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 22/11/2009 : 04:21:20
Sorry Hawkeye, posted at same time so repeated your advice.

xxx
Kellog Posted - 21/11/2009 : 00:28:01
Hi genedemonsimmons! You have come to the right place cos this forum has lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also gets lots of fun and friendship as a bonus. Not sure how much info you have been given and it does sound as though you have taken on a handful but I would advise the following:

1. Not sure how long you have had him but it is very important that you leave him for a week to get over the stress of moving to your house and let him settle into its new surroundings by leaving him without handling or feeding for a week. Only put your hand in daily to change water and straighten substrate, that way it gets used to your smell. If you have had him for longer than that but didnt do the settling in week then do it now...it is a lot for him to get used to and he needs to adapt, which will help him calm down once he doesnt feel threatened.

2. Read this care sheet (http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm). It has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

3. No question is regarded as a silly question on here.....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too!

4. Hope that when you got your snake you got as much info about it as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog poos!!

Now with regard to his handling....when you have let him settle you need to be very patient and very calm. When you are changing his water make sure you dont make any sudden movements or get too close to him so he doesnt feel threatened by you. You can also put a sock or something like that in the viv to reinforce your smell. When you do get him out dont feel nervous but pick him up confidently and then just let him run through your fingers for no longer than a few minutes and then return him slowly and carefully to his viv. This must carry on for quite a while, slowly increasing the time of handling as he and you get used to each other.

Has he actually struck at you and bitten you? If you are concerned you can use gardening gloves to handle him....but try to avoid that if you can. Personally I think it is better for you both to get used to skin to scale contact.

Hope that has helped a bit. I am sure someone more experienced will be able to help more.

xxx
n/a Posted - 21/11/2009 : 00:26:25

Ok. Read the care sheet here

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

and also this post

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

Any questions after that, we're here.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000